A New Age for the Incan People

Started by maddox, March 13, 2020, 01:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

(A blatant copy of a posting in "the wrong" section" )

Sapa Inca, the long lost Lore Seeker Puriq has returned.  After 7 years of knowledge gathering, he can bring you information, facts and stories from far far way, and closer to home.

That is great news. Please, arrange a gathering. Let us learn, understand, comprehend.

Oh, Sun blessed leader. I have seen wonders, I have learned things small, understand things so deeply complicated it's a marvel. But I have also learned about great dangers. And those have to be adressed as soon as possible.

Do tell, my loyal friend. I'm eager to absorb your knowledge. The Empire quivers in anticipation of the lore you can imbue. 
Inti smiles upon your wisdom my liege.  But what would you like to know first? The wonders I have seen on this world, or the dangers tou our paradise under your leadership? 

It seems you have forgotten our friendship Puriq, you're spending to much words like greasing me up before a golden man ceremony. Spreak freely, you know I don't shoot the messengers, nor command the messenger to be shot. I know you well enough to understand you have a lot of stories, but that the warning is very very important.
The empire is our responsibility, our garden to tend, our sun blessed land to nurture. So, give me the warning straight, no dilution needed.

Sorry Càpac. My travels have brought me to a lot of strange places, some so formal, even a spoon placed wrongly could lead to social expulsion. But yes, the warning.  In the wide world, we Inca are isolated by Mama Pacha. The north border guarded by Huaca Urcunina, even the Maya's have respect for that. The east border, the Green Hell has its demons, but for how long, I don't have any idea. Could be  centuries, but could be years if one of the foreign Empires make a dedicated push trough them. And then the sea. The south-north current that prevails can only be beated by fast steamships, of the fastest saling vessels with the least draft, in the best of winds.  But I have seen extremely large ships, entirely build from steel, with guns at least twice as big as our biggest ships carry, also in steel. Also, those ships can be fast enough to beat the seacurrent easely, albeit at the cost of fuel. 
Why those ships never went here, I didn't learn. What I did learn is that the Mayans have a few of those. They make every effort to keep them hidden from Incan eyes. That is why I learned about those only recntly in my great travel. But also the far away Shogunate people, who do send Iron ships this way on a regular base have steel behemots. And others in even father away countries, have even bigger, or faster , or more heavely armed ships.  I fear, if they learn how our fleet works, some of them would try to take our fisheries,or our sacred islands 

That is grave news, my friend, very grave. But, as Lore Seeker, did you find solutions, or workarounds to avoid this kind of disharmonisation of the Sun Blessed Empire?

I did learn a lot. One thing is for sure, if the Maya are eager for gold and food, some of the foreign countries are even more keen on gathering gold. And not to honor the Sun, but to hoard it, to use it as a representation of material goods. Can you imagine, for a speck of gold, you could by a meal in countries that have wonders we can't duplicate yet.  They call those wonders technology. The steam engines we use are old hat for those countries. But in those countries, there are people starving, as the leaders don't provide for their people. Old and/or incapacitated means starving or even worse. Being "used up".  But that fact, the worth of gold for those people , could mean we can trade for what we need. Also our surplus of food, what we now offer to Mama Pacha or Inti during the many festivals, could be diverted to that goal. I would suggest to send out envoys all over the world to talk to the other empires, countries and independents. 

Puriq, after this long an absence, let me offer you the hospitability of my golden palace. The servants will show you your reward, but be warned, the reward for a job well done.... And yes, I will send out chasqui to talk to the other leaders on this world.

maddox

Ah, President Chualpi, pleased you can join us in the mountains.
My liege, it's my pleasure and duty to serve you. How can I be of assistance?*

You can be of great assistance. I want to send a small web of Lore Seekers on a fact finding experience and trade mission. Can we free up a few of our navy ships for a long voyage? Make them represent our people under the benevolent glow of Inti?
Naval units. Those are under the guidance of honored Hunu Kuraka of Antisuyu, but with your wish, I don't see any problems. And I can redirect a bit of the Sun metal towards this worthy endeavor. What about 200 man weights? 

Oh, wonderfull, by a very lucky coincidence honored 10 times 10 000man Achiyaku will arrive in a few moments. Then we can start planning in earnst. Oh, the head of the Lore Seeker delegation will be Puriq.
Eu, oh, what? Ah. Sapa Inca. I get the point. But isn't that harsh on Puriq? He just returned from a very long voyage. if i'm correctly informed, you invited his wife and 2 children to the golden palace, here where Puriq was invited as well.
A meeting in the glory of the sun, with Achiyaku, I feel honored, humbled and weary at the same time.

Don't worry, worthy president, I expect everything to go well, even if it's only because everybody will do their best. And yes, I'm aware of your relation with Hunu Kuraka of Antisuyu, and his connections to the envoys of the Shogunate. I may be sheltered in my palaces, but I have my sources. Please remember that when your love of your family mixes with greed. Oh yes, and in this case I agree, your brother is the right man to lead the Upamayo dam project. I just hope your integrity won't submit to nepotism. Let's dismiss with these toughts, and get on with the task at hand, outfitting a world spanning tour. A goodwill show to educate the rest of the world that the Inca are Inti's favorits. And of course, see how we can make sure of that status.

A few minutes later, the Hunu Kuraka of Antisuyu is guided in. Now,  Càpac, Sapa Inca, isn't as outgoing as with President Chualpi.  He barely acknowledges the gouvernor of the Central Andean provinces. After a few very uncomfortable moments,  Getting bigger, like a condor spreading his wings, and gazing upon the now pale noble and peoples representative, Sapa Inca starts orating.

Great Achiyaku, I summoned thee to hear my orders. Inti wishes a small fleet to see the wonders of the world, and that it is worthy of Inti's favor. A web of Lore seekers will be send out as observers, envoys, my heralds. You're the one tasked to make sure it is done and that the Heralds of Inti return safe, and with the lore, knowledge and agreements they aquired. President Chualpi already agreed in his assistance, and has freed up 200 manweights of Sun metal. I wish to see the ships reflecting this favor. Do you understand this?

Quivering , the gouverner has to swallow a few times, and with a croaking voice. I understand my lord. I will provide the wished ships. And display Inti's favour. (after a few seconds, he sees Chualpi in the background, and that sight triggers his pride and the attached courage)
Great Sapa Inca. I do have a question.

Ask, dear 10 times 10 000 man. You're entitled to have all the needed information. If I wasn't clear enough, I can help you in this.
What is the goal of this mission?

Càpac deflates from great Condor to a man in a great bellylaugh. Deep, well felt, and even kind of positive.
The goal of this mission is to see the wonders of the world, arrange diplomatic ties to other leaders in this world, and if Inti smiles upon us, we just do what we always did. That should explain enough, dear nephew. Get my Lore Seekers their fleet. Make sure you ask your naval experts decent advice, we of the High Mountains can be fallible in the great salty waters of Quchamama.

Not a day later, a Chasqui knocks on the door of a large, modern villa in Lima.  He hands over a brass document roll to the answering servant.

The head of the delegation reads. "Emperor will send out envoys in a naval pride. Observe the fitting out dock in Lima."

And the fitting out dock is being observed.

2 of the great sailing cruisers and 2 of the armored frigats are getting a make over. The heavy gilding applied to anything that can catch the rays of the sun is very very obvious.
The crews already know their mission. Support the Lore Seekers, and their job is to show the world how the Incan Empire prospers and is willing to share that prosperity.
Huge amounts of potatos are being stored.

The Rock Doctor

Huge amounts of potatoes?  I like them already.

maddox

Sidenotes.

With the Nverse not having extensive contact with South America, the only way potatos (and simular foodstuff) can be known is by the very infrequent visitors at the Incan coast (and there, most food is seabased or freezedried mountain stuff- the Incan could freezedry, even easy for them, in the mountains.), or in special Mayan feasts, as the limited seatrade is more aimed at getting .

Corn can be better known, as the Mayans are also big cultivators of that, but it's up to the players interaction in game
It's also the other way around. Beasts of burden are rare in the Inca empire, breeding programs are started, but have limited succes.
So the meat on the Incan tables is mainly Llama and guinea pigs. With a sprinkling of bushmeat.
Seafood (including seaweed)is a large staple along the coast. The cold, fast Humboldt current is a horn of plenty due the upwellings and interaction with warmer waters.

maddox

Puriq, as you are aware, I have decieded that you will depart on anothor Lorequest. 
But this time, with the public support of the Empire. You will lead a group of people that can represent us , starting those Incan Houses in foreign empires you named embassies. You gave us the knowledge and I consulted with the Lorekeepers. There will be 4 Lorekeeper/priests and their families, with servants and the means to support them to establish a stable Chasqui connection to be my representatives. Getting this all arranged will take a few months. In those few months, I wish you to remain in this palace, with your family, but able to travel to Lima, to keep an eye on the outfitting of the Lorequest. No sidequests this time, your experience is crucial.

Yes Sapa Inca, I hear and obey. But Càpac, I did tell you of the pale white men that are close to our northern border, only 20 Topo away. Those Vilnians, they are also to our south.
We lost Lore Seekers who were seeking knowledge of the rumored foreigners in the south , to the cold, dry, windy lands of Ushuaia. I know now these are also people from the Vilnius Union. Shouldn't we adress that first. Are they a danger to our Empire? If we go on everything that makes an empire, they have the upper hand. Bigger, more people, better technology in all forms. The thing we have as advantage is geography, food and a very unified people. Also, our military setup has a strong point. If we're willing to sacrifice a lot of people.

What makes me wonder, why didn't the Maya tell us about the Vilnius People in the waist between North and South? It still is possible that the Mayans don't know somebody has set up camp there, we didn't know untill I urged the captain of our ship perilously close to the Urcunina protected zone.  But alas, as my path was diverted, I didn't spend any meaningfull time in the Mayan Republic to learn that.

The Vilnius Union borders 2 other Empires. The Imperial Roman Republic, what has also colonies in the Green Hell, according your reports. The Iberians hold the other border, and also have a claim on a very small portion of the Green hell. Did you learn about any conflicts between those? Or if there are any simularities or big differences between our Empire and theirs?
And of course, the Shogunate people, now we understand their behavior in Lima. They tried to get a piece of real estate to call an embassy. We have given them the use of a modern villa. But after that, not a lot happened. Just rounds of endless formal pleasantries and a bit of creative political allianceforming. But I have to admit, their tea is great.

to be continued.

maddox

5 years earlier.  Puniq started his lorequest in Lima, taking a sailors spot on a merchant towards the Mayan lands. 
Normaly Merchants going north stay in the current sweeping that way.
But alas, in this case Qushamama and Illapa conspired together and drove the ship into coastal waters that are choked in the Green Hell.  And loo and behold. A cluster of strange wooden buildings and a kind of improvised harbor was seen. 

In the area guarded by the Huaca Urcunina, unbelievable. Is this a sign of Inti? Should he investigate?

maddox

No, curiosity kills if applied at the wrong timing. He'll make sure the skipper will report this, when he returns in Lima. Also, it won't do to call the wrath of Huaca Urcunina by tresspassing. Inti will send a clear sign if and when, better to proceed with the lorequest he assigned himself. Learn about the lands north of the Mayans.

And so, the merchant vessel Inti lluqsiy didn't waver from the goal, the mighty Mayan port city of Amapala.

this OOC add on will self destruct soon. sorry people, can't get to the bacon of the Union

maddox

Continuation.

But I have to admit, their tea is great.

I have to admit failure Càpac. I never got to the Shogunates core. How they did it still makes me wonder if it was malice, pure coincidence or a deeply ingrained habit of secrecy. I'll make it a sidequest for my next assignment. An "Embassy for an Embassy" as it were.

That is the right spirit Puriq. Learning , and using the experience to fill in the gaps in our knowledge. So, go on. Give me the wonders of the world in your own words, take me with you in the strange lands, be the guide of the Sapa Inca in his private Lorequest.

Càpac, that I can do.  Can you imagine a domesticated meat animal as smart as a fox, fierce as a jaguar when protecting the young and eating anything. Covered in short white bristly hairs showing in most cases a pink skin below those. The males have tusks.  But easy to breed in captivity.  The wild variant is even fiercer, and considered a pest in some area's on the eastern continent. Hunting those is considered dangerous. But again, these too are seen as fine meat animals.
And that, is what makes those mud loving animals a prize we should aquire.  About every part can be turned into a delicacy. Smoked, brined- a great sailors staple- cooked, backed, grilled, steamed, or a combination. It doesn't matter, I didn't find any way that wasn't great food. The only thing most sensible people won't do, is to eat it raw or undercooked. That causes illness because they can carry a parasite dangerous to people. Some countries even have this in their religious texts.
You can imagine my wonder when I discovered this meat on the steady diet of the ship I traveled with to cross the Eastern Ocean.  The second morning on this part of the journey I smelled something delicious when the breakfast was served. As a passenger, I had a seat in the dining room, and the food was served in a style they called "buffet", with the prepared foods arranged on tables to be taken by the guest as they please. I had to adjust a bit to the idea, but when ready, I searched out that delicious smell.  I found grilled meatstrips. Crispy, meaty, salty, a prayer to Inti worth. The steward called it bacon, and could be enjoyed with almost every other food.  It's even a saying  "Everything gets better with bacon".  Praise Inti that I learned this.
I can only urge to import these beasts and learn how to best breed, herd and prepare.

Puriq, our agriculturists and herdsmen have already big projects running. The breeding of cattle and horses for draft animals, to replace the smaller Llama's. You urge us to breed another animal to have more food. We do have more food than needed and are exporting the excess to the Mayans and to the demons of the green hell.

Yes Sapa Inca, it is one of the ways I see to trade with the people from the east and west, and divert them from trying to get Inti's favored gold.  Also, once we introduce this "pig" to our people, they will love it. It's omnivorous, it eats everything. All foodscraps can be converted in meat in a fast and especialy tasty fashion. And the pigletts are even cute. Adults can be big, but rarely brutish when accustomed to people.

My great loreseeker, you realise you just got another task. Arrange the trade for breeding stock of these pigs when establishing official relations with the other people on this Inti Blessed world.

maddox

And Puriq,  what can you tell me of the Parthians. Those very rare visitors.

I fear, my liege, I can't tell a lot about them, I just had a brief stop in one of their harbors, but wasn't permitted off the ship, as it was not unloading any goods or passengers. I could have tried sneaking off. But my gut feeling told me it would been a bad idea. My gut was right. In the morning, one of the official, small harbor vessels brought 2 people to the ship. I recognised them as 2 passengers claiming to Vilnian missionaries, but if you ask me, they felt more like North Romans. I think this because they liked beer more than the mede served on the great steamer I joined as a able seaman. On the other hand, it could have been other people, as I couldn't recognize them directly under the bruised and swollen faces, but doubtfull, after a few days and the good care of the ships doctor. They got their asses kicked like a Tlachtli ball in a fierce competition.
One of my teachers did tell of a shipwreck in the strait of Ushuaia.
I know now for sure that was a Parthian vessel. Shouldn't we tell the Parthians that one of their ships had a shipwreck in what is now Vilnian territory?

I don't know, I will talk to my brother about that. He can divine the best course of action.  Telling that won't hurt us, unless the Parthians are incredibly paranoid, and blame the Vilnians or us for that loss.
Still, the Vilnians concern me the most. They are expanding in our back gardens. We NEED to know if they are good neighbors, or trouble approaching.

maddox

(OOC, transplanted and adapted from the non interacting/player pages)

June 1912.  The Gold Fleet has just sailed. The emperor and the Willaq Umu will leave for the Sacret Islands very soon now.
New infrastructure is being build all over the country.
A few 1000 men are recalled to the army. Rumors about an expedition to the north are buzzing around.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Lima, new capital of the Inca. Parliament

President Chualpi, the Upamayo dam project benefits your " younger brothers" construction firm, care to explain that?

A voice as soft and gentle as a songbird comes from a small rotund man, but the words drip grease and oil like the pitch from a used cars saleman:  "Of course. The firm you ask about is the only in Incan territory that has the knowhow and materials to design and build that dam. Is there something wrong with working with the local talent?  The Shogunate firm has offered very strong incentives to take their plans. Maybe you know a little more of that, honored Hunu Kuraka of Antisuyu?"

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
Dawn, Cusco awakes. One side a metropolis, old stone Giants mixing with new concrete buildings. The other side, the mighty Andes rise to heaven.

With the rising sun, 2 men finish their nightlong meeting. 

Kunak, I bow for your wisdom you did bring to me. I hope my money can be put in good use to give our people their right place under the sun.

Senor M, you married in this country, with a girl from these mountains and jungles. Your children lived in this country. You embrace the land as home.
Now you remember your lovely wife, and your 3 children, and offer them their due in memory.  And yes, your plan to hire foreign advisors to help you to realise your, our dream has been approved by god and gods. The will is aimed at our endeavor. I'm glad we could give your life focus again. Lets send out the messengers to ask your friends, your compatriots, your soldiers if they want to follow you again.

Here are messages for my friends, and 1 for the villa in Lima, to the advisors. (handing out silvery , light message tubes)

In a few days, the Chasqui delivered the strange light, locked and sealed message tubes all over the Incan empire.  In some places the recipient draws out a quipu, others get a letter with the modern writing.  And in Lima, a small, narrow shouldered, man opens the message tube.

maddox

July 1912,
Señor M, we have a great opportunity. Princess Yma will sail soon to the Shogunate, without militairy escort even. If we can aquire her presence, we can influence her father, as he dotes on her.

The main problem is, how to ask her to join us in our goal to liberate our people from the yoke of the Inca nobility. Our contacts with the Shogunate embassy* indicate that they will do everything to keep the current situation as it is, or even tighten the powers of nobility over their oppressed people.   

Can't you ask your overseas contacts to help us in this worthy endeavor?

I see the options dear Kunak². I'll send out messages to advance our intentions.³

* Embassy isn't a word in the Incan language, but it's the best translation possible atm.
² Kunak isn't a name, but a rank/job descripion, advisor.
³ PM's will be send.

maddox

All Hunu Kuraka, greetings. 

We assemble to recapitulate our position on this world.

It seems Inti has dimmed his light upon us. I got divine directives to remedy this. We're sending out envoys and ambassadors. But we're also going to see how we can aquire more knowledge. Most of our loreseekers stayed to close to home, and the lorekeepers can't increase knowledge if all is from our empire, we already know that. The loreseekers will expand their workarea. Lorekeepers will have to generate  more wisdom distilled from the knowledge we already have. Do my Hunu Kuraka have more options?

Yes, the news from the north, east and south is that bad. Foreigners are pushing back the Demons of the Green Hell, and even the desert raiders from the south. We will need to expand, and fast. Even talk to the demons.

We have the people, we have the military. What we lack is the tools. We are rich. Inti made that clear, and he wishes that we use the Sunshine metal to help us. We only can store so much of it, and make it into juwelery to honor our gods.

Does any one object to this path we can take?"

A few seconds silence, It's the first time the leaders of the empire have heard the emperor this strongly. A babble erupts, shouts are heard. This hubbub is quelled by a high pitched squeel from President Chualpi. 

YOU HEARD THE COMMANDS, YOU HEARD THE QUESTION. Either you answer it as a leader advising his Sapa Inca. Or you just shut up. You, answer, or just nod "no".

After this session of the Inca Council, chasqui bring around messages.   And weeks, even months later, bronze tubes with strange markings and a gold seal are appearing all over the globe. Kings, Emperors and industrialists -if the security isn't extremely tight or xenophobic- to a T will get one. *

*OOC, anyone interested can ask about it by PM.

Desertfox

Yeah Meiji Japan is not the country to approach if you want to overthrow the nobility, now those Communist Mayans up the coast... thats a different story.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

maddox

Cuzco, Sapa Inca Palace, a Lorekeeper is bringing a distillation of several reports.

We have the first reactions on the Gifts and Questions we send around the world, Sapa Inca.

From our traders in Manaus, who are getting intimatly connected to the "Roman Republic", we know that the Republicans are redesigning one of their "Destroyer class" warships to work as a squadron leader for our Yaku Uturunku torpedo armed hunters.

Hmm, why would they start on something we didn't ask for? I would think we were clear on what the Inca want. Better torpedo boats, better coastal defense ships, and longer ranged steamers to complement the magnificent, but alas, outdated saling vessels we have.

Yes Sapa Inca, it seems they are projecting their experiences on what they think we need to protect our coast. But we'll make sure they get the idea. We now have a good information exchange point established.  I have to admit, our contact did strike emeralds in Manaus. I even suggest sending a piece of juwelery with emeralds to fortify his ties.

I heed your advice, and command "make it so". The juwelery will be from the privy purse, make it the equivalent of 1 Hunu Kuraka hour.*

maddox

August 1912.
After 7 days of sailing rough seas Wiraqucha has seen enough of his meals being offered to Quchamama, a steady piece of beach will do nicely.  The mandatory celebacy to start the divine quest wasn't as hard as he imagined. Maybe that was the way Quchamama helped him in this divine quest.
The stories uncle Chualpi has told about the Sacred islands did give more than a hint why so many of the court ladies joined them.  The queasy stomach doesn't object to the pleasant toughts, for now.

But a ripple of uneasy silence flows over the ship. Even the creak of the rigging seems muted. 
One of the lookouts at the masts yells
"Smoke on the horizon, dead ahead".

Same periode. Scout party Hand 2 , expedition Urcunina.   
Unancha Yanaq*, I did observe that small village on the banks of the creek we had in mind.
No Green hell demons, but rather pale people, with strange haircolors, as the loreseeker has predicted. They seem peaceminded. But I did see at least 3 muskets at hand.
Not abnormal, those weapons , they to have to deal with the demons. Any defensive structures?
Nothing to talk about, just the basic palisade.
Lets get a message to the loreseeker, she can send in the giftbearers.  And the engineers can start on the bordermarking cairn.

* leader of 5, a section leader, could be the equivalent of a junior sergeant or a very well connected corporal.