A New Age for the Incan People

Started by maddox, March 13, 2020, 01:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: maddox on April 18, 2020, 07:06:36 PM
August 1912.
After 7 days of sailing rough seas Wiraqucha has seen enough of his meals being offered to Quchamama, a steady piece of beach will do nicely.  The mandatory celebacy to start the divine quest wasn't as hard as he imagined. Maybe that was the way Quchamama helped him in this divine quest.
The stories uncle Chualpi has told about the Sacred islands did give more than a hint why so many of the court ladies joined them.  The queasy stomach doesn't object to the pleasant toughts, for now.

But a ripple of uneasy silence flows over the ship. Even the creak of the rigging seems muted. 
One of the lookouts at the masts yells
"Smoke on the horizon, dead ahead".

Over the next little while, a small ship becomes visible on the horizon.  Belching coal smoke from a single funnel, it closes the gap between the two vessels.  There is a quick-firing gun forward and machine-guns visible on the beams; all are manned and pointing at the Incan vessel.

"Ahoy there," a voice shouts from the small bridge behind the main gun.  "You are entering Vilnius Union waters.  Heave to and prepare to be boarded."

The message is repeated in a few dialects, one of which is the Incan tongue.

QuoteSame periode. Scout party Hand 2 , expedition Urcunina.   
Unancha Yanaq*, I did observe that small village on the banks of the creek we had in mind.
No Green hell demons, but rather pale people, with strange haircolors, as the loreseeker has predicted. They seem peaceminded. But I did see at least 3 muskets at hand.
Not abnormal, those weapons , they to have to deal with the demons. Any defensive structures?
Nothing to talk about, just the basic palisade.
Lets get a message to the loreseeker, she can send in the giftbearers.  And the engineers can start on the bordermarking cairn.

* leader of 5, a section leader, could be the equivalent of a junior sergeant or a very well connected corporal.
After a few days of this sort of thing, a small cluster of Union military personnel approach an Incan camp on foot.  They're armed, but the weapons are secured in holsters or slung over shoulders.

An older man, perhaps an officer, speaks to a younger man, who in turn says, "We seek a discussion with your commanding officer or leader."

He repeats the message in a couple of local dialects, although his first choice was Incan.

maddox

On the Incan ship Sunwave near the Galapagos.

Chualpi, my dad warned me about this. I talked it trough with Puriq. Their advice was actualy elegant. These Vilnians ain't bloodthirsty, lets welcome them on the ship, and stun them with our cultured elegance. Inti doesn't care who claims the sacred islands, as long we can worship him in peace. Those foreigners have a word for such thing, Pilgrimage.
Captain, answer the man, ask for a few minutes so the crew and passengers can be warned for a visit of a foreign official.

The captain bellows to the steamer
We are preparing for your audience, please allow his highness' court to assemble and to avoid startling the ladies.

Isn't this rash Wiraqucha?
By no means Chualpi, get into your finery, we'll razzle dazzle them with our sunshine and good graces. After all, we're peaceful pilgrims.

The decks of the Sunwave erupt in organized chaos. Sails are being reefed, an elaborate boarding ladder alike contraption is being lowered, and a bevy of ladies in finery are lining up.
A bunch of big guys in a kind of elaborate uniform gather behind a short rotund middle aged man dressed in gold clothing with a religous feel to it, and a young man in a light colored 3 piece suit and a crownlike headdress who seems to glow in the sunlight.

One thing is very obvious, those Incan's ain't shy of displaying gold.

Somewere in the Colombian jungle

A russle in the jungle next to the Vilnian troops, but from the camp, a greybeard steps up:
Be welcome visitors, I'm Achi. 
I'll send a chasqui to our Loreseeker, she's the trade missions leader. Do you wish to wait in comfort, or are we going to wait on the next shower to drench us?

In the mean time, a Shuar scout has reported to the expeditions leaders. He was following those loud pale soldiers for hours, wondering why they are so clumsy in the jungle.

You did wel Guachi, time for a show, just do your thing, observe , but do not interfere, not even if these guys get agressive.

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: maddox on April 22, 2020, 01:28:03 AM
On the Incan ship Sunwave near the Galapagos.

Chualpi, my dad warned me about this. I talked it trough with Puriq. Their advice was actualy elegant. These Vilnians ain't bloodthirsty, lets welcome them on the ship, and stun them with our cultured elegance. Inti doesn't care who claims the sacred islands, as long we can worship him in peace. Those foreigners have a word for such thing, Pilgrimage.
Captain, answer the man, ask for a few minutes so the crew and passengers can be warned for a visit of a foreign official.

The captain bellows to the steamer
We are preparing for your audience, please allow his highness' court to assemble and to avoid startling the ladies.

Isn't this rash Wiraqucha?
By no means Chualpi, get into your finery, we'll razzle dazzle them with our sunshine and good graces. After all, we're peaceful pilgrims.

The decks of the Sunwave erupt in organized chaos. Sails are being reefed, an elaborate boarding ladder alike contraption is being lowered, and a bevy of ladies in finery are lining up.
A bunch of big guys in a kind of elaborate uniform gather behind a short rotund middle aged man dressed in gold clothing with a religous feel to it, and a young man in a light colored 3 piece suit and a crownlike headdress who seems to glow in the sunlight.

One thing is very obvious, those Incan's ain't shy of displaying gold.

"Well that's quite a show," the patrol boat's commanding officer - one Ensign Pulaski - observed as he moved his spyglass back and forth across the rank of women on the other ship.

"That's bait, sir," the vessel's boatswain replied.

"Well, sure," the ensign agreed.  "Who are these people?  Incans?"

"Almost certainly," the boatswain said.  "The briefing binder had a short bit about them supposedly finding the Tortoise Islands centuries ago, and it being a sacred place to them, but I don't recall there being any physical proof of them being on the islands."

"So these could be just a bunch of nutters with nice stuff, or a genuinely serious group of possibly important people."

"Aye, sir."

The ensign nodded.  "Well that's just brilliant.  Helmut, you're with me for translation.  Sven and Oli, you're my security detail.  Stay cool and focused.  Boatswain, you'll back off to a hundred yards as soon as the last of us is on the ladder.  Watch for my hand signals."

"Yes sir."

"Bring us in to board."
Somewere in the Colombian jungle

A russle in the jungle next to the Vilnian troops, but from the camp, a greybeard steps up:
Be welcome visitors, I'm Achi. 
I'll send a chasqui to our Loreseeker, she's the trade missions leader. Do you wish to wait in comfort, or are we going to wait on the next shower to drench us?

In the mean time, a Shuar scout has reported to the expeditions leaders. He was following those loud pale soldiers for hours, wondering why they are so clumsy in the jungle.

You did wel Guachi, time for a show, just do your thing, observe , but do not interfere, not even if these guys get agressive.
The oldest of the Union men spoke to his translator.  "We would be pleased to follow you to a comfortable location to await your loreseeker."

maddox

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on April 22, 2020, 11:56:05 AM
"Well that's quite a show," the patrol boat's commanding officer - one Ensign Pulaski - observed as he moved his spyglass back and forth across the rank of women on the other ship.

"That's bait, sir," the vessel's boatswain replied.

"Well, sure," the ensign agreed.  "Who are these people?  Incans?"

"Almost certainly," the boatswain said.  "The briefing binder had a short bit about them supposedly finding the Tortoise Islands centuries ago, and it being a sacred place to them, but I don't recall there being any physical proof of them being on the islands."

"So these could be just a bunch of nutters with nice stuff, or a genuinely serious group of possibly important people."

"Aye, sir."

The ensign nodded.  "Well that's just brilliant.  Helmut, you're with me for translation.  Sven and Oli, you're my security detail.  Stay cool and focused.  Boatswain, you'll back off to a hundred yards as soon as the last of us is on the ladder.  Watch for my hand signals."

"Yes sir."

"Bring us in to board."

Wiraqucha, paranoia isn't a problem if someone is hunting you. But it seems the Vilnians are already impressed. Are we overdoing it or what?

It seems so Chualpi, but let's go on with the show.

4 uniformed men ascend on the boarding ladder and step on the deck

Welcome envoys of the Vilnius Empire. Greetings for the Inti brotherhood and the Sapa Inca.  I'm High Priest Chualpi, and I annonce you to the heir of the Sapa Inca, Wiraqucha, be welcome on our humble pilgrimage vessel and temporary adobe Sunwave.

Wiraqucha, a rather big guy, in a strangely european 3 piece suit and a golden crown cuts a impressive, even regal posture, like his father, he has the skill to unfold a command aura like a condor spreading his Wings. And he uses it to full effect

the 4 soldiers are rather bewildered by the speach of the small gold plated rotund guy with a squeeky voice, the translater fumbling for words, as formal Inca is rather different from the common Inca the translator uses.

Welcome Guardians of the Sacred Islands, please accept our honnest intentions as Pilgrims to worship Inti on his sacred place.
**********************************************************************************************
QuoteThe oldest of the Union men spoke to his translator.  "We would be pleased to follow you to a comfortable location to await your loreseeker."

Gentlemen, follow me to the communal tent. But I tell you, we're a diverse bunch of traders, entertainers and a few soldiers as security force. We're used to strange meetings, but I have to admit, you're very strange to our senses. That is an advantage , but I suggest not to make any sudden or grabbing motions.

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: maddox on April 22, 2020, 01:14:34 PMWiraqucha, paranoia isn't a problem if someone is hunting you. But it seems the Vilnians are already impressed. Are we overdoing it or what?

It seems so Chualpi, but let's go on with the show.

4 uniformed men ascend on the boarding ladder and step on the deck

Welcome envoys of the Vilnius Empire. Greetings for the Inti brotherhood and the Sapa Inca.  I'm High Priest Chualpi, and I annonce you to the heir of the Sapa Inca, Wiraqucha, be welcome on our humble pilgrimage vessel and temporary adobe Sunwave.

Wiraqucha, a rather big guy, in a strangely european 3 piece suit and a golden crown cuts a impressive, even regal posture, like his father, he has the skill to unfold a command aura like a condor spreading his Wings. And he uses it to full effect

the 4 soldiers are rather bewildered by the speach of the small gold plated rotund guy with a squeeky voice, the translater fumbling for words, as formal Inca is rather different from the common Inca the translator uses.

Welcome Guardians of the Sacred Islands, please accept our honnest intentions as Pilgrims to worship Inti on his sacred place.
"Sorry, sir, that's not a dialect I'm accustomed to," Helmut the translator said to Ensign Pulaski in Polish.  "There will be mistakes."

"Of course," Pulaski said.  "Do as best you can."

The translator nodded, and then began to speak in common Inca at the ensign's direction.  "Thank you for the warm greeting, Sirs.  I regret I am not fully fluent in your dialect and ask your patience as I translate as best I can.  Ensign Pulaski has a copy of a customs declaration form that he asks be filled out and signed by the master of the vessel.  This includes the name, registration, and home port of the vessel; the master's name, shore address, and applicable certifications such as his master's licence; the vessel's cargo and passenger manifest; purpose of stop at the Tortoise Islands and duration of the stop; and a few other details.  The form is in Polish so I'm happy to assist the vessel's master in completing it."

Pulaski held up a sheet of paper with an expectant look on his young face.

Gentlemen, follow me to the communal tent. But I tell you, we're a diverse bunch of traders, entertainers and a few soldiers as security force. We're used to strange meetings, but I have to admit, you're very strange to our senses. That is an advantage , but I suggest not to make any sudden or grabbing motions.

"We're here to talk, sir, not to infiltrate your camp," the translator provided.  "We would like to think we will not be shot for swatting at a mosquito."

maddox

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on April 22, 2020, 01:43:31 PM
"Sorry, sir, that's not a dialect I'm accustomed to," Helmut the translator said to Ensign Pulaski in Polish.  "There will be mistakes."

"Of course," Pulaski said.  "Do as best you can."

The translator nodded, and then began to speak in common Inca at the ensign's direction.  "Thank you for the warm greeting, Sirs.  I regret I am not fully fluent in your dialect and ask your patience as I translate as best I can.  Ensign Pulaski has a copy of a customs declaration form that he asks be filled out and signed by the master of the vessel.  This includes the name, registration, and home port of the vessel; the master's name, shore address, and applicable certifications such as his master's licence; the vessel's cargo and passenger manifest; purpose of stop at the Tortoise Islands and duration of the stop; and a few other details.  The form is in Polish so I'm happy to assist the vessel's master in completing it."

Pulaski held up a sheet of paper with an expectant look on his young face.

Sunwaves captain, who can understand the translator very well gets very very red and is getting ready for a scating reply.
Wiraqucha looks at the translator with an astonished, and suddenly amused look, deflating from Condor to gentle alpaca and gives a small gesture that  keeps the captain in check, a wide smile materialises. 
Chualpi, who didn't see the gesture is winding up indignatly, but keeps his temper in check, as he didn't say the last words, it's up to Wiraqucha now. 
The court ladies, who are lined up as a kind of honor guard , some look at the Vilnians in uniform as a kind of juicy steak, others , who are more common to the dialect of the translator look at the poor guy as if he's ready to be sacrificed. And others are amused by the whole show.

The bodyguards, even if some do understand it all very well, are stonefaced and await orders.

In stilting and very garbled Vilnian Wiraqucha adds
Gentlemen, it seems communication is slow. Our customs are different to yours. It will take time to get all the questions answerd.
going back to Quechua (Inca)
Before mistake are made and damages done, shouldn't we get comfortable and make sure all the questions are answered to all our satisfaction.  I will repeat , I'm Wiraqucha, Heir to the Sapa Inca. Our Inti High Priest Chualpi is my spiritual advisor. The ship Sunwave and her crew are doing their duty, transporting  High Priest Chualpi, chosen court ladies, and my servants. And our party is on a pilgrimage to the Sacred islands to communicate with our gods. We mean no harm, just acces to 1 specific place to show our devotion. I suggest we make this audience a bit more comfortable. Don't be worried, my servants will set up a conference table in clear view of your vessel, under the intermittent rays of Inti.
With a gesture, several of the court ladies and crew members start putting up a conference table. 3 of the big bodyguard types help other crew members to pull up a heavy gilded thronelike chair to the deck.

Lucky Quchamama is beneficial, the sea is calm for this first meeting, don't you agree, Vilnian guardians of the Sacred Islands?

Quote"We're here to talk, sir, not to infiltrate your camp," the translator provided.  "We would like to think we will not be shot for swatting at a mosquito."

Don't worry guys, swatting mosquito's is a very clear gesture here. Unless you swat mosquito's with your guns or daggers. It won't take long.

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: maddox on April 22, 2020, 02:23:06 PM
Sunwaves captain, who can understand the translator very well gets very very red and is getting ready for a scating reply.
Wiraqucha looks at the translator with an astonished, and suddenly amused look, deflating from Condor to gentle alpaca and gives a small gesture that  keeps the captain in check, a wide smile materialises. 
Chualpi, who didn't see the gesture is winding up indignatly, but keeps his temper in check, as he didn't say the last words, it's up to Wiraqucha now. 
The court ladies, who are lined up as a kind of honor guard , some look at the Vilnians in uniform as a kind of juicy steak, others , who are more common to the dialect of the translator look at the poor guy as if he's ready to be sacrificed. And others are amused by the whole show.

The bodyguards, even if some do understand it all very well, are stonefaced and await orders.

In stilting and very garbled Vilnian Wiraqucha adds
Gentlemen, it seems communication is slow. Our customs are different to yours. It will take time to get all the questions answerd.
going back to Quechua (Inca)
Before mistake are made and damages done, shouldn't we get comfortable and make sure all the questions are answered to all our satisfaction.  I will repeat , I'm Wiraqucha, Heir to the Sapa Inca. Our Inti High Priest Chualpi is my spiritual advisor. The ship Sunwave and her crew are doing their duty, transporting  High Priest Chualpi, chosen court ladies, and my servants. And our party is on a pilgrimage to the Sacred islands to communicate with our gods. We mean no harm, just acces to 1 specific place to show our devotion. I suggest we make this audience a bit more comfortable. Don't be worried, my servants will set up a conference table in clear view of your vessel, under the intermittent rays of Inti.
With a gesture, several of the court ladies and crew members start putting up a conference table. 3 of the big bodyguard types help other crew members to pull up a heavy gilded thronelike chair to the deck.

Lucky Quchamama is beneficial, the sea is calm for this first meeting, don't you agree, Vilnian guardians of the Sacred Islands?
"Thank you, Sir, we appreciate the courtesy.  Ensign Pulaski appreciates your status as heir to the Sapa Inca, Sir.  He notes that while you are of course entitled to such diplomatic immunity as may be established by treaty by our respective states, mundane matters such as customs and right of passage remain in effect to all who enter Union waters.  He adds..." he glanced back at the ensign for confirmation, "He adds that he is merely undertaking his duties as an officer of the Union Navy and regrets the inconvenience."

He listened to Pulaski once more and added, "It is a very nice day to be at sea, Sir. Our passage around the southern tip of the continent was, despite being on a much larger vessel, quite unpleasant on account of the weather."

Don't worry guys, swatting mosquito's is a very clear gesture here. Unless you swat mosquito's with your guns or daggers. It won't take long.

"That's one enemy we share," the translator said, apparently on his own volition.  He repeated the statement in Polish, eliciting nods from all other Union personnel present.

maddox

Sunwave

Wiraqucha doesn't react directly, but the Condor is rising again.  But after a few tense moments, he settles in his throne.

Guardians of the Sacred islands, It is you that requested this audience, and brought us your petitions.
It was the strangeness of the situation that had my interest.
But alas, young bureaucrats, your actions did show that this situation is, as expressed in your language, far above your paygrade. 
This means I'll leave your questions to my representative , Lady K'antu.

Lady K'antu, make sure these fine men get the answers they seek, for more nautical question, our captain will assign you an aide. 

One of the young ladies smiles, and : "Yes my lord, it will be done".
Her dialect sounds like that of the translator Helmut, who aquired a North Chinchansuyu intonation*. And she glides towards the four baffled Vilnians.

Please be seated , honored Quari, it could be a long day to get every question answered like a guardians duty requires. As your appointed hostess,  do you have any preference for refreshments? We have a wonderfull wine and a heady pisco available. Or do you prefer something more youthfull, like Intiberry flavored water? 

*Logical, as the Vilnians are rubbing borders with the Northern Inca "province" for a while now.

Inca trade and bordermarking mission (nearby IRL Pitalito)

Gentlemen, you asked for the expeditions leader, Loreseeker Illary, to listen to your story.  How can I help you?

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: maddox on April 23, 2020, 02:15:42 PM
Sunwave

Wiraqucha doesn't react directly, but the Condor is rising again.  But after a few tense moments, he settles in his throne.

Guardians of the Sacred islands, It is you that requested this audience, and brought us your petitions.
It was the strangeness of the situation that had my interest.
But alas, young bureaucrats, your actions did show that this situation is, as expressed in your language, far above your paygrade. 
This means I'll leave your questions to my representative , Lady K'antu.

Lady K'antu, make sure these fine men get the answers they seek, for more nautical question, our captain will assign you an aide. 

One of the young ladies smiles, and : "Yes my lord, it will be done".
Her dialect sounds like that of the translator Helmut, who aquired a North Chinchansuyu intonation*. And she glides towards the four baffled Vilnians.

Please be seated , honored Quari, it could be a long day to get every question answered like a guardians duty requires. As your appointed hostess,  do you have any preference for refreshments? We have a wonderfull wine and a heady pisco available. Or do you prefer something more youthfull, like Intiberry flavored water? 

*Logical, as the Vilnians are rubbing borders with the Northern Inca "province" for a while now.

"Very well, Ma'am," Helmut replied.  "Typically the declaration only takes fifteen to twenty minutes to fill out, but we can take as long as you feel is necessary."

He turns to the ensign once again, who produces a small metal flask from a pocket.  "Ensign Pulaski thanks you for the offer of refreshments, but we have brought water of our own."

QuoteInca trade and bordermarking mission (nearby IRL Pitalito)

Gentlemen, you asked for the expeditions leader, Loreseeker Illary, to listen to your story.  How can I help you?
"The Vilnius Union is interested in discussing our respective interests in this part of the world," the interpreter replied.  "We are interested in knowing if the loreseeker is authorized to negotiate treaties on behalf of your government, or if our own superiors will need to contact a source higher up in your government."

maddox

Sunwave

Thank you honored languagekeeper, , and if you're willing to share your water, please fill my cup. And if the formalities on paper are that short, I do admire your efficiency. Lets commence with our tasks, the sooner we're ready, the sooner we can fullfill our Sacred duties, and get to the more personal interactions. After all,  our leader, Sapa Inca's heir, will have to start and finish his Inti inspired quest on the sacred field, and we, the ladies, are here to make sure he can do that in all his glory. But, we're many, and he's only one sun blessed man. Some of us will time and wish to mingle with the guardians. And yes, please convey this invitation to your  Unancha Yanaq*.   

* Sergeant, or leader of a hand, a 5 man team in normal situations. The young lady was watching the foreigners with "juicy Ahi eyes"

Pilalito
Lorseseeker  Illary:
"Yes, I'm autorised to make agreements. Of course Sapa Inca will have the last word if those agreements are big enough. But in 95% of the agreements, it is approved. The other 5% ain't to healty for agreeing parties.

But, why this approach?  It's not that the Inca borders are closed to everybody,   Lima is a big port and has a direct rail-connection to Cuzco. Why not sending an ambassadar, just like the Shogunate has done?

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: maddox on April 23, 2020, 05:34:16 PM
Sunwave

Thank you honored languagekeeper, , and if you're willing to share your water, please fill my cup. And if the formalities on paper are that short, I do admire your efficiency. Lets commence with our tasks, the sooner we're ready, the sooner we can fullfill our Sacred duties, and get to the more personal interactions. After all,  our leader, Sapa Inca's heir, will have to start and finish his Inti inspired quest on the sacred field, and we, the ladies, are here to make sure he can do that in all his glory. But, we're many, and he's only one sun blessed man. Some of us will time and wish to mingle with the guardians. And yes, please convey this invitation to your  Unancha Yanaq*.   

* Sergeant, or leader of a hand, a 5 man team in normal situations. The young lady was watching the foreigners with "juicy Ahi eyes"

"I'm sorry, Ma'am, my lips have been on the flask.  It would be unsanitary to share the contents with you," Helmut shrugged.  "You did note you were well stocked with beverages for yourself."

QuotePilalito
Lorseseeker  Illary:
"Yes, I'm autorised to make agreements. Of course Sapa Inca will have the last word if those agreements are big enough. But in 95% of the agreements, it is approved. The other 5% ain't to healty for agreeing parties.

But, why this approach?  It's not that the Inca borders are closed to everybody,   Lima is a big port and has a direct rail-connection to Cuzco. Why not sending an ambassadar, just like the Shogunate has done?
The translator replied, "I'm sure my government will do so, but that is a process that may take some time.  If you would prefer that to be the means of communication between us, we will return to our camps and resume with our own objectives.  We thought, however, that it might make some sense for both parties to pause in their activities lest the situation become more complicated by the time government to government discussions begin."

maddox

Sunwave.

Wiraqucha is watching the sacret Islands basking in the sun getting smaller reciding, with a big grin on his face.  Lady K'antu next to him, puzzeled at the amused heir.

My lord, why do you find this amusing? Those interfering foreigners did take the sacred islands as their own, and I think, if we didn't play their game of bureaucratics, they would have denied us every right to acces our sacred grounds.

Dear K'antu, they would even have sunk this ship. And it would take a month before anybody at home would realise something was wrong. A resque expedition would take at least 6 weeks to arrive.
And they will have the same issue. Being hailed by a bunch of bureaucrats in uniform, and when not complying to meaningless papers, violence...
That, my precious flower, is the reason I commanded you to be our paperworker, I know your skills in that respect, and your ambition to become Hunu Kuraka. It was a gentle test, with a lot riding on your shoulders.  And remember, we don't have any close bloodties. Inti favors such interactions.

Why the amusement then my lord? I don't understand?

Simple, Chualpi and I always refered to the Vilnian soldiers and some civilian leaders as "Guardians of the Sacred Islands", and that stuck with you too. They believe that they are the guardians now and will stick to it. Their inflexibility to veer of the paperwork was a great help here. In short, the civilian leaders already agreed on keeping the places we designated as sacred pristine and the next divine quest, maybe in a 100 years or so, should be welcomed in a way more easy manner. I call that a win-win situation. That is the reason I had a cotton and gold thread quipu made for them by lady Asiri. The civilian leaders also will communicate to their capital, to get a diplomatic mission to Lima.
Maybe that message beats the parade we're staging with the Gold Fleet, what makes their life easier too.
And to top it of, Chualpi and me gave the military the impression that our best troops still use bronze and stone melee weapons.
I do love the advice Puriq and my dad gave us. It was spot on. Pity Hunu Kuraka Achiyaku used his influence to deny us the aid of a lorekeeper or seeker on this quest.
Now, when we get home, I will urge some of the merchants to think about supplying the sacred islands with some staples, but focus on the more luxurious goods.
Maybe we could divert one of the new waterpurification ships?

The young lady starts smiling to. Those few moments talking to the heir were informative, and are giving bright prospects for the future.

maddox

Iquitos,

The stern looking Hunu Kuraka Asiri* let her gaze dwell over the muddy Amazon and confluence with the black Nanay , following the large futuristic lightless heliograph barge² downstream.

Relaying and recieving messages 300 topo without Inti light being reflected, it dazzles the mind. And a farther reaching installation is already finished on the peaks of Machu Picchu.  And that in record time, thanks to the funds and technical advice recieved from Señor M. How he could assemble a team of foreigners and get the support of Huna Kuraka Achiyaku in a few months time, it is amazing, Inti shines upon him.
Maybe it had to do with Yma, that brazen hussy, maybe it has to do with the riches involved, and the aversion to the lorekeepers Achiyaku has.

But still. Creating this wonder of technology was fun and profitable. A barge with 2 low speed turbines and a low speed generator to feed a Lightless heliograph and to make the hydrogen gas for the antenna ballons.  I wonder what Sapa Inca expects of this, trade advantages to the eastern foreigners who are pushing the Green hell demons? Faster communication with the exploration units in the Green Hell? Oh well, life is good. At last my district is getting the attention it deserves.  Our rubber³ is very important, and not to think about the other green hell produce.

* Asiri means smile in Quechua. And she is one of the few Hunu Kuraka that controls the full allotment of taxpayers.
² Lightless heliograph= wireless telegraph. The Inca , as sun worshippers and gold users learned to use mirrors and messages rather early. Loreseeker knowledge gathered and Señor M's foreign contacts gave the Inca a boost once they realised they need international communications, and spark gap radio isn't that difficult to understand for an empire.

³ More information coming soon.

Desertfox

Mobile radio stations? That is pretty cool, a tad vulnerable to the weather, but very handy to have.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

maddox

300 Topo= +/-2000km

And seagoing (the Inca version now seen is river based) radiostations ain't that strange. Dutch television channel Veronica started that way.