Feasibility Study - Fuel based Upkeep

Started by Nobody, September 01, 2012, 03:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

In its most basic form a fuel based upkeep requires only 3 numbers to be copied from SpringSharp: cruise speed, range and maximum bunker size. The basic formula then is
   max_bunker_size / range * cruise_speed
which is fuel consumption per hour. All that's left would be scaling that to our need.

Due to their high fuel consumption, special destroyer rules would be unnecessary.

In N3 ships were in 1 of 3 states of readiness, explained (from memory) as:
  • mobilized: a ship in active service which spends almost 100% of its time at sea
  • active: a ship in service spending about 40% of its time at sea - mostly training. Can react to emergencies within a days
  • reserve: a ship which is kept in working oder, but takes weeks (months) to be ready for action
    This definition could act as a nice multiplier to upkeep cost.

Now assuming ship also have a constant cost (based on size or crew) I propose:
  • mob: full or slightly(10-25%) increased crew cost, full fuel cost
  • active: full crew cost, 40% fuel cost
  • reserve: ~30% crew cost, 5% fuel cost (heating)

Especially in war times ships will often go much faster than cruise speed. Therefore I propose to add a ships maximum speed into the equation. Fuel consumption at full speed is increased by a factor of   (v_max/v_cruise)^3   over cruise speed.
    My proposal would be to use a different "speed mix" whether you're at war or not, e.g.:
       peace: 90% cruise and 10% top speed
       war: 60% cruise and 40% top speed

Examples
    Except for the first one, I borrowed KWorld's most recent USN designs
    NOTE: this table contains a lot more information than needed for my proposal!

displacement                           Fuel consumption         speed mix   
       light   standard   normal   full load   max speed   cruise speed   range   max bunker size      cruise speed   v_max      peacetime   wartime
    battleship   16631   17383   18434   19275   22   12   4000   1892   per hour   5,68   34,98      8,61   17,4
                               per day   136,2   839,4      207   418
                               per month   4087   25183      6196   12525
                               per quarter   12439   76649      18860   38123
                               per term   16585   102199      25147   50831
    USS Smith    617   640   742   823   29,5   15   2000   183   per hour   1,37   10,44      2,28   5
                               per day   32,9   250,6      55   120
                               per month   988   7517      1641   3600
                               per quarter   3008   22879      4995   10956
                               per term   4010   30506      6660   14609
    USS Arkansas    2676   2852   3074   3251   12,5   10   3000   400   per hour   1,33   2,6      1,46   1,84
                               per day   32   62,5      35,1   44,2
                               per month   960   1875      1052   1326
                               per quarter   2922   5707      3201   4036
                               per term   3896   7609      4267   5381
    USS Omaha   3971   4132   4837   5400   27   12   6000   1269   per hour   2,54   28,91      5,18   13,09
                               per day   60,9   693,8      124,2   314,1
                               per month   1827   20815      3726   9422
                               per quarter   5562   63355      11341   28679
                               per term   7416   84473      15122   38239
    USS Montana   14811   15544   17198   18521   25   12   6500   2977   per hour   5,5   49,7      9,92   23,18
                               per day   131,9   1192,7      238   556
                               per month   3957   35781      7140   16687
                               per quarter   12044   108909      21731   50790
                               per term   16059   145212      28975   67720
    USS Connecticutt   12819   13588   14695   15580   18   10   6600   1993   per hour   3,02   17,61      4,48   8,86
                               per day   72,5   422,7      107,5   213
                               per month   2174   12680      3225   6376
                               per quarter   6618   38594      9815   19408
                               per term   8824   51459      13087   25878
    Now please take a look at the table and notice that (for larger ships) displacement and (term/quarter speed mix) fuel consumptions are int the same order of magnitude.

Conclusion
    I think a fuel based upkeep is possible, interesting and worth the effort. I think the follwing numbers would work (assuming money is scaled up accordingly):
  • Base or Crew cost: 1$ per 1000 tons of a ship normal or maximum displacement
  • Fuel cost: 1$ per 1000 tons of fuel a ship need per term/quarter. Adjusted for readiness and wartime usage.
  • (Ammo cost? War-time only. Mainly steel.)
  • (Build cost: $ on normal, steel on standard)

Jefgte

Interresting work Nobody.

Are you going to made an excel board calculator for speed/fuel/range ?

Actualy, I use directly SS to calculate the possible range.
I note the bunkerage in ton & change the cruise speed.

I know that with 5000nm@ 12kts, the range is more than 7500nm@ 10kts.
Interresting for the transfer of ships to the colonies...

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

snip

My first thoughts:
Quote from: Nobody on September 01, 2012, 03:36:27 PM
Conclusion
I think a fuel based upkeep is possible, interesting and worth the effort. I think the follwing numbers would work (assuming money is scaled up accordingly):
  • Fuel cost: 1$ per 1000 tons of fuel a ship need per term/quarter. Adjusted for readiness and wartime usage.
I like the manor in which this is presented.  I feel that upkeep and all constructions costs should be calculated from Normal tonnage, no more no less. However, adding on a upkeep cost on fuel is something the community could look at. It is consisse enough that I don't feel it would add to much complexity to the naval side of the rules. Naval rules are the one place that I feel we can safely abandon some aspects of simplicity for the sake of a more realistic system. I do not however want to add ammo upkeep. With regards to construction costs, I would like normal displacment to be the defining factor for both the $ cost and industrial cost. What thoughts do others have?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Jefgte

Attention to the complexity of the rules!

How do you calculate the cost of moving a squadron of 5000km.
Fuel, refueling, food (.. & wine for French)

Keep it simple, if you add a cost of movement apply just a draft ratio proportional to the size of the vessel.

;)

"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Myself, I think the construction cost of a ship should either be the SS3 $ cost of the ship OR (if we're using a tonnage-based system) something based on the ship's light displacement..  Why light displacement vs normal displacement?  Because light displacement is the tonnage of the ship itself, the other displacements that SS3 calculates include consumables, which will be paid for as part of the ships maintenance.

Nobody

Quote from: Jefgte on September 01, 2012, 04:20:47 PM
How do you calculate the cost of moving a squadron of 5000km.
Fuel, refueling, food (.. & wine for French)
I would switch them to mobilized for the turn of moving. Or longer if necessary.

Delta Force

Quote from: snip on September 01, 2012, 03:59:07 PM
My first thoughts:
Quote from: Nobody on September 01, 2012, 03:36:27 PM
Conclusion
I like the manor in which this is presented.  I feel that upkeep and all constructions costs should be calculated from Normal tonnage, no more no less. However, adding on a upkeep cost on fuel is something the community could look at. It is consisse enough that I don't feel it would add to much complexity to the naval side of the rules. Naval rules are the one place that I feel we can safely abandon some aspects of simplicity for the sake of a more realistic system. I do not however want to add ammo upkeep. With regards to construction costs, I would like normal displacment to be the defining factor for both the $ cost and industrial cost. What thoughts do others have?

I think construction costs should be calculated using light tonnage, as it includes all of the equipment needed to have a functional ship. If you want the ship to go into duty you should have to purchase the ship's first ammunition load (using industrial output) and fuel (using cash), but if it is going straight into the reserves you don't really need that. Upkeep should be a mix of industrial output for the ammunition and cash for the fuel, with additional industrial output upkeep related to light tonnage (hull upkeep) and cash related to crew size (for crew pay).

snip

Construction costs: Normal tonnage is preferable to light due to the manor in which ships of almost identical hulls can have vast differences in construction cost based on range. Normal displacement is consistant between all designs regardless of range. Upkeep will be based on normal displacement and maybe fuel use if we can agree on how to implement it. I dont want to pay seperate upkeep for ammunition and crew salary. That is just to complex IMO.
-Siegfried Sassoon

KWorld

Sure, light displacement can vary drastically based on the ships' range, but that's the point of paying LIGHT for construction and NORMAL for maintenance: that the long-ranged ship (a higher-percentage of it's normal displacement is essentially empty fuel tanks or bunkers) doesn't get ripped off in it's construction costs by having to pay a lot for empty space that doesn't cost much to include.

Delta Force

Quote from: KWorld on September 01, 2012, 05:02:42 PM
Sure, light displacement can vary drastically based on the ships' range, but that's the point of paying LIGHT for construction and NORMAL for maintenance: that the long-ranged ship (a higher-percentage of it's normal displacement is essentially empty fuel tanks or bunkers) doesn't get ripped off in it's construction costs by having to pay a lot for empty space that doesn't cost much to include.

Exactly, otherwise a cruiser and a monitor of the same size cost the same amount to build, even if the cruiser is mostly fuel tanks and the monitor is a massive armored ship.

snip

This was a change made for N4 by people with much greater knologe of the program then me. I feel that keeping it accounts for the initial filling out of stores, ammunition and other consumable. Upkeep then covers the replacement and replenishment of these initial stores. Does that make sense?
-Siegfried Sassoon

Logi

It was my impression that we made the change for several reasons unrelated. One such reason was that it was easily to set a defined limit to the ship weight (by input) and thus avoid ugly BP spending. Another was that it was felt that using light tonnage allowed gaming the system - that is - you could build a ship and increase various parameters of the ship (like steadiness, etc.) whilst keeping the BP cost down by making the ship larger but using the weight for bunker size.

If we make maintenance normal displacement-based than we eliminate the latter problem but keep the former.

Delta Force

Quote from: snip on September 01, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
This was a change made for N4 by people with much greater knologe of the program then me. I feel that keeping it accounts for the initial filling out of stores, ammunition and other consumable. Upkeep then covers the replacement and replenishment of these initial stores. Does that make sense?

I think we should have heavy industry goods (like artillery shells, armor, ships) use industrial capacity while light industry goods (such as fuel, staterooms on passenger liners) use cash. If you pay for fuel and other light industry goods with industrial capacity (by paying for ships at normal tonnage) it is hurting the ability of long ranged navies (like the French and British) to expand their fleets in the short term while giving the smaller fleets an advantage as they use less fuel. That means the Austro-Hungarians can build a floating fortress bristling with guns and armor and the Italians can build a ship build for longer range and having less armor and they will pay the same (assuming same normal tonnage) even though the Austro-Hungarian ship would be more expensive to build.

If instead you make it more expensive to build those floating fortresses (high short term costs) and make it more expensive to operate the fuel guzzling ships you make it more fair and more interesting. Someone might decide to go the USN route and use triple expansion engines instead of turbines for their long range ships to save on fuel costs, for example. If you pay just based on tonnage (light or normal) there is no reason not to go for turbines because past 1905 the engines and their fuel weigh less than triple expansion engines even though they burn a lot more fuel for a given output.

snip

Once again, I think the change to normal displacement for N4 was to minimize gaming of SS in order to gain an advantage. This change was made be people who have much more experience with both SpringSharp and the sim overall then I do. I would like to keep that in mind when deciding what to use.
-Siegfried Sassoon

KWorld

Where WesWorld gets in trouble with using light vs normal displacement is that there there's no maintenance costs at all other than refits, which are again based on light displacementl.  So there, there's an incentive to game SS by installing extra-large fuel tanks, which improve the ship but don't cost anything.  If we base maintenance costs  on normal or maximum displacement,  we won't have that problem: if you over-size your ship, you'll get to pay, and pay, and pay, for doing so.