United Kingdom News and Stories: 1900 Edition

Started by snip, October 12, 2012, 10:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

The world turned to a blur as the punch landed on Colton McEvoy's jaw. Instinctively, he swung back and was rewarded with pain in his left hand. Connection he thought now if only I could see! Shaking his head, Colton was able to clear the stars and clouds from his eyes. His oponate, A large Englishman name Leroy Bartholomew the Third, was doing similar. As the two men closed again, they we interrupted by a call of "WHAT THE BLOODY EFFING HELL IS THIS!" Both men stopped as the enlisted men and officers watching the match scattered from the incoming wrath of the First Officer. Storming up to the makeshift ring on the quarterdeck of the battleship Furious, the first officer sized up the situation. "McEvoy! Bartholomew! I ask again, WHAT THE BLOODY EFFING HELL IS THIS!"

Colton spoke "Sir, its just a bit of fisticuffs."

The reply was not what Colton had hoped for. "A junior officer and a chief enlisted man fighting! That is what this is!' Go get yourself cleaned up chief, then report directly to my office. McEvoy, come with me now!" Colton stepped out of the ring and followed in the wake of the fuming first officer as he lead the way to wherever the brewing shouting session was to take place.  The bright sun over the harbor of Valletta continued to beat down, oblivious to the goings on aboard the battleship. On entering the confines of the ship, the light dimmed considerably. The two men's reemergence into the sunlight of the bridge took just long enough that Colton's eyes had enough trouble adjusting that he had to squint, an action made all the more painful by the last right hook that had connected. The first officer lead Colton up to the ships captain and began his naritive. "Sir, apologies for interrupting, but I just caught Leftennat McEvoy here fighting with Chief Bartholomew."

The captain turned from watching over the harbor and faced Colton "Is this true?"

Colton setched a salute as best he could with the hand wrapping still in place. "Yes sir, it is true sir."

The captain cut off the first officer's coming reply, "That will be all Commander, I will handle it from here." Colton smirked internally as the first officer left, not going to get to lay into me after all. "Walk with me Leftennat" the captain continued as he proceeded to walk out onto the bridge wing. "That is not the way I would have gone about earning Bartie's respect. I thought we talked about this."

Colton replied "I agree sir, but it was the path he chose to walk down."

"Do explain what happened leading up to the fight" The captain asked as the two men continued to slowly distance themselves from the open ears of the bridge crew.

"I asked to speak to Chief Bartholomew. Once we engaged in conversation, I asked him if there we issues of respect between us." Colton responded, his accent telling all a outside observer would need to know as to why there were issues between himself and Bartholomew. "He said that he did not respect me because I'm Irish. I asked him in what way I could earn his respect. He then challenged me to a boxing match saying that if I didn't back down like a coward, then we could talk."

"Well, it was downright stupid of you to accept." The captain replied "And you and Bartholomew should be punished for it."

"If I may sir" Colton inserted himself into a pause "I request that I share the same punishment as Chief  Bartholomew, plus whatever other measures you deam necessary for me. It have been his choice to provoke a fight, but I was a lesser man then I wish to be for accepting. It was also in my view not a case of insubordination, and I wish to ensure it is not treated as such."

The captain nodded. "Seeing as this was a issue of personal makings and not a case of duty related problems, such can be arranged." The captain then let out a sigh. "Colton, its been like this on most every ship for you. How on God's earth is this the first fight you have gotten into?"

"I wish I knew sir" Colton replied "Chief Bartholomew has been the worst I have encountered. If I knew what went wrong, I could fix it."

"Well in this case, you wont have to." The captain replied "For the day has finally come when we no longer serve on the same ship." A set of papers were produced from the captain's jacked and he handed them to Colton. "Congratulations Lieutenant Commander McEvoy, the new commanding officer of the HMS Phoenix"

Colton looked at the papers in shock. "I don't understand. I have a command now? You know I do not have the political connections for this to happen so fast."

The captain shook his head. "Its as much of a shock to me as it is to you. I hoped you would be my XO someday. Now, it does not look that way. All I have to say is be careful Colton, there is something that does not seem right here. Now go pack your things, the ship you are suppose to be on leaves in three hours. Enjoy Portsmouth, and congratulations again."

"Thank you sir." Colton replied saluting. "I hope to be at least half the commanding officer you are." Colton then turned and began walking back to his quarters to begin packing, wondering exactly what sort of stars had aligned for this event to take place.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

London, January 4th 1900

The bustle of the city was still becoming a daily reality for Elizabeth Faith Bailey. The daughter of a important minister, she had recently accepted a position working as a typist for the Admiralty. Her father had undoubtedly pulled several strings to land such employment for her, but Elizabeth was still thrilled to get the job. She had arrived in London with her father after the Christmas holiday and had since been ensuring, on her father's money, that she was ready to look the part of a young modern woman. Now, she was on her way to join her father and some of his important peers for dinner. She chose to walk, as it was only a short ways from her father's townhouse. The streets were much more crowded then the ones from her hometown would have been at any time of the day, and she found making rapid progress difficult. She did however discover that she drew many more looks from passers by then at home. I'm not complaining about it at all she said to herself as she walked, but I wish it was for something other then my hair. While Elizabeth's hair would not have stood out at home in Scotland, the fiery shade of red was not common in London and attracted lots of attention. The rest of Elizabeth was absolutely worthy of second or third glances, and she did receive a fair share of non-hair related ones by the time she arrived as the cafe. Spotting her father at a table, she waved and then moved to join him and the two other men at the table.

"Ah, Liza! How nice of you to join us." Arthur Bailey said to welcome his daughter. "I take it you did not have any trouble finding the place?"

"Hello daddy." Elizabeth replied along with a quick kiss on the cheek. "No trouble at all, tho the streets have many more people."

With a quick chuckle Arthur responded "Good to hear darling. Gentlemen, I would like to to meet my daughter Elizabeth." The two men at the table stood up. "Liza, this is Sir Archibald Winthrup" he said gesturing to the shorter and balder of the two men "and this is Commodore Vance Bartholomew, Royal Navy." gesturing at the man in Navy uniform who was of similar build and age to her father.

Elizabeth extend her hand to Archibald first. "Pleasure to meet you sir." Archibald responded by lightly kissing her gloved hand then releasing it. "And you as well Commodore" Vance followed Archibald in lightly kissing the offered hand. "Now, I don't mean to rush things, but I haven't eaten since noon." Her father flagged down the server and placed an order for one of her favorite dishes and a drink as she took the fourth seat at the table. "So did the day go well father?"

"Why quite capital indeed darling." Arthur replied. "Its great you could make it. Commodore Bartholomew has some more details on your new opportunity for you, he is who asked if I knew anyone fit for the job."

The comment succeeded in drawing a slight blush to Elizabeth's cheeks. "Thank you for the opportunity Commodore, I am happy to have a chance to be of service to the Navy."

Vance coughed once, and then began "Thank you for being so readily available. Unfortunetly, I wont be in London much longer. I have been reassigned to Portsmouth for a administrative posting left vacant by an untimely death. I am sure you were looking forward to the London social scene, but Portsmouth has many of the amenities and is not far away by train."

Elizabeth took a moment to get her thoughts in order, then replied. "I'm happy to see more of the country. It will be an exiting position no matter were it takes me."

Arthur inserted himself into the conversation. "Ah capital, just capital. You know you are welcome at my house anytime darling. I will have one of my aids being looking for a flat near the Navy yard right away." Before he could continue, Elizabeth's food arrived. She politely excused herself from the conversation while the Bangers and Mash were still warm. Arthur continued talking to the Commodore. "So when is that new cruiser captain of yours suppose to arrive? That McEvoy fellow that I mentioned to you."

Vance replied "He should be arriving soon, might even already be there. It might not work out Arthur, you saw the issues in the service report. I'm willing to give him a shot tho. Phoenix has been the problem ship of that squadron for far to long, young blood might do her some good."

Arthur replied "Only one way to find out." Then looking at Elizabeth with a smirk that said I'm about to mess with you said "O and do keep him an any other young, smart and handsome officers away from my Liza. She still isn't allowed to see men yet" This drew a chuckle from both Vance and Archibald, along with a fearsome blush from Elizabeth that threatened to match the shade of her hair.

"Daddy!" She retorted between bites of potatoes "I'm twenty three now."

"And I still have the right to tease you no matter how old you get" Arthur's smile help the words in calming Elizabeth down. "Just be safe darling, I'm sure you will do fantastic. I'm so proud of you darling. Now, Archibald, you had some news from around the office you wanted to share?"

Elizabeth slightly tuned out the conversation and instead let her mind wander to thoughts of Portsmouth and handsome Royal Navy officers.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Portsmouth Naval Yard, January 21st 1900

Lieutenant Commander Colton McEvoy looked at ship floating at the pier in front of him thinking to himself I really hope whoever designed this rust-bucket has long since retired. The poor ship at the receiving end of the non-verbalized comment was the HMS Phoenix, soon to officially be his ship. The Pegasus Class Cruiser of the Third Cruiser squadron was oddly out of place along with three of her sisters at one of the largest naval bases in the world. Designed mostly for duty in the colonies, a limited number also served in home waters in duties that would "not be befitting" of a full cruiser that a torpedo boat destroyer could not handle. One of the fastest ships in the Royal Navy when commissioned, now they were hopelessly outclassed by some battleships. There armament was a quite powerful battery of four inch guns, four of which could be fired on each broadside or three in a chase bow or stern. The guns were mounted in semi-enclosed spay and splinter shields, in what Colton found to be the most ugly use of a box shape. The secondary three inch guns along the beam had no armor of any kind. Concealed below the waterline was her most powerful weapon, a single sixteen inch torpedo tube fixed to fire forward. The three towering smokestacks gave the illusion that the Phoenix was still a fast ship, but they sill meshed handsomely with her very limited superstructure. Taking another look at Phoenix while rubbing his chin, he thought I wonder if this is suppose to be a punishment from whoever made this happen. He then turned a began making his way down the administrative offices to meet with Commodore Vance Bartholomew. Colton hoped he was not a close relative of Furious' Chief.

When he arrived outside what he presumed to be the door to the Commodore's waiting area outside of his office, Colton took a moment to adjust his uniform. After ensuring that his fruit salad was aligned properly, the new shoulder boards striated and buttons were gleaming he opened the door. Unofficially welcoming him was a incredibly beautiful woman sitting behind a typewriter. Her red hear spilled down to just below where he guessed her collarbone would reside. On the door closing behind him, she looked up from her work. Colton felt the almost gem-like sapphire blue eyes bore into his own green ones. He swore he could see sparks flying behind them. Clearing his dry windpipe, he said "Lieutenant Commander Colton McEvoy here to see Commodore Bartholomew mam."

"Ah, let me just check the list" the woman replied. She then got out of her chair and turned to grab a notebook from the file cabinet behind her. Colton quickly discovered that his first impression of this woman's beauty was far to low. Turning back around, the woman said. "Here you are Lieutenant Commander, your early but I guess I should expect that by now. The Commodore is still out at the moment, he should return very soon, have a seat in the meantime." She gestured to a chair, then quickly changed her mind. "No, come over here first, I need to fix something." Confused, Colton approached. She met him halfway and reached for his tie. With gentle movements that spoke volumes about the person behind them, she fussed with the necktie. When finished, she looked him strait in the eyes with those sparkling sapphires and said "It was not strait, don't want you make a bad impression on your new CO."

"Thank you." That was the only response Colton could muster. The women then returned to her desk and began typing again, the click-clack of the keys seeming more deliberate then the rythem that had been present when Colton arrived. Before he could dwell on the thought, or the woman, longer, the door opened again and Commodore Vance Bartholomew stepped through. Colton imedatly saluted. "Sir, Lieutenant Commander Colton McEvoy reporting as ordered sir."

The Commodore's reply was brief. "Ah, Lieutenant Commander, glad to see you made it" Bartholomew returned the salute and extended his hand. Colton shook it. "Its good to finally meet you, please come with me so we can talk."

Colton replied "Yes sir, it is a pleasure to meet you as well." Following Bartholomew into his office, he turned his head far enough to see the woman stop typing and turn an mouth what he though was Good luck. Colton saw one of the sapphire orbs wink with the comment. Trying hard to push the woman out of his mind temporarily, he followed Bartholomew into his office and closed the door behind him.

Elizabeth Bailey turned back to her desk, thinking Wow...He is a cute one. And he has his own ship. As she went back to her typing, her mind wandered to the best way to ensure she got a chance to see this Lieutenant Commander again. Tho her sapphire blue eyes focused on the page she was transcribing, the sparks in and behind them that drew in even the most steadfast man were plotting about Colton McEvoy.

The Phoenix
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

January Naval Summary

The keels of many new ships were layed.

Battleships Formidable, Redoubtable, Impregnable and Arduous are under construction and expected to finish in about two years. Armored Cruisers Black Prince, Iron Duke, Diamond Princess and Empress of India for the Royal Navy plus two yet unamed ships for the Ottoman Empire. All of the armored cruisers are expected to compleet around the same time as the Formidable and her sisters. These ships are all being worked on at Portsmouth, Plymouth, or Chatham.

Protected Cruisers Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Apatite, Obsidian, Mail Garnet, Pearl, Rhodonite, Diamond, Quartz and Sunstone are expected to complete by the end of the year. Thirteen Destroyers of the Fantastic design, plus twenty Italian TB-1899 class are being worked on, and should be finished by July.There are also six of the new A-class Submarines being constructed for testing in variang theaters after there completion in July. These ships are all being constructed at variang yards througt the empire.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Note: This story references a few things that I have yet to write about Colton and Elizabeth. Just had the idea for this one and figured I would write it.

London, February 19th 1900

Arthur Bailey sat behind his massive desk, calmly reading from the morning paper. No story of note jumped out at him, so he folded it up and tossed it carelessly onto a pile of other things he meant to get to. He reached out and grabbed an unopened envelope that had been underneath the paper. The flowing script on the front told him exactly who it was from. Unfurling the paper inside the envelope, he began to read.

Dearest Father,
I hope this letter finds you well. Things continue to go spelndily here in Portsmouth. The Commodore is most accommodating, and the rest of his staff are all gentlemen. I had a chance to dine with some of the officers of the Home Fleet, and had quite a talk with Lieutenant Commander McEvoy. He sends his best. I might even get a chance to go to sea on the
HMS Phoenix, isn't that exiting. Commodore Bartholomew thought it would be good to see how I handled on board a ship and Lieutenant Commander McEvoy happened to get that assignment. Colton seemed flattered, and also I may have asked if he wanted to come visit London sometime. I hope this is agreeable...

The crash of the door to his office being thrown open caused Arthur to jump in his seat and drop Elizabeth's letter to the floor. "Good day to you to Jarvis. What is the bloody matter?"

Jarvis headed right for the coat rack. "No time to explain now sir, come with me. Your presense has been requested, you were the only one in."

"Jarvis, I ask again what's the bloody matter? Only one in? Of who?" Arthur took his jacket and followed the form of Jarvis out of his office. The rebuttle of questions continually flung at Jarvis continued until they reached an automobile outside of the building. Both men entered the back and without a word, the driver took off clattering over the cobblestones honking irately at anyone not fast enough to get out of the way. "Now Javis, tell me what this is about, right now."

Inhaling deeply, Jarvis replied "I don't know much sir, but I do know this. There has been a accident of some sort involving the Royal family. I wish I knew more, but they told me that and insisted I get you to wherever this madman up there" he pointed rudely to the back of the driver's head "is taking us."

"An accident?" Arthur had gone what he assumed to be a ghastly  shade of white "O good God." The two men sat in communication silence until the car pulled up to the Parliment building, which was strangely quiet from the outside. Two men of the Coldstream Guard approached and hardly let Arthur and Jarvis get out of the car before rather roughly getting them moving in the direction of the door. The two Guardsmen escorted them to a room deep within the building, were Arthur was motioned through the door, but Jarvis was directed further down the hall. Entering the room, Arthur saw faces that meant whatever had happened was bad, very bad.

"Ah, Arthur, your here. That makes everyone." Began the man at the head of the room's single rectangular table. "Sit, we need to start."

Arthur took the seat that was pointed at and asked "What is going on?"

The man at the head of the table hung his head "I wish I knew the full story, but what I can tell you all is this. As of right now, Queen Victoria, Edward The Prince of Wales and his two sons are dead, along with others and more still who have not been found dead or alive. As of right now, that little girl," he pointed to a little child of no more then three years old asleep in a woman's, most likely her nany, lap "is the Queen of our empire. And the reason you are all here, is because she obviously cant do it for herself. Genltmen, I sugest you get aquanted. For the next thirteen years, you all will be running things in that little girl's place. First order of buisness is the figure out what the bloody fucking hell happened to her family."

Arthur could not beleave his ears. Him, on a regency council? Evidently his mind could not take in all the information and his last memory before the world went black was just how ornate the tree rings on the wood the the table was built out of were.

The thunk of Arthur Baliey's head into the table as he passed out and slid out of his chair to the floor caused a stir from the sleeping little girl. Her nanny calmly brushed her hair with her fingers. "There there little Alexandra, someday you will understand all of this." The last heir of Victoria to the throne of the United Kingdom, Alexandra Adelaide of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha barely moved from her slumber, for the time blissfully unaware of the responsibility that she had just inherited and the act that had passed them from her brother to her.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

London Times, Morning Edition February 20th 1900

ROYAL FAMILY ASSASSINATION!
BOMB ON THE ROYAL YACHT!

Yesterday at approximately high noon, Queen Victoria and many members of her extended family were taking lunch aboard a vessel of the mouth of the river Thames. About this time, a explosion occurred aboard the yacht that sank the ship after breaking it into at least two, possibly three pieces. According to whiteness, the explosion occurred around the waterline about midships. Witnesses say that a ship was seen leaving the area at high speed in the imedate aftermath of the explosion. Several nearby day-craft rushed to the scene, as HMS Delirium which happened to be nearby raced in at full steam to coordinate rescue efforts. Despite the best efforts of the civilian bystanders and the crew of the Delirium, no members of the Royal Family on board the yacht survived. Rumors abound that the Prince of Wales survived the initial explosion only the die on the deck of the Delirium from wounds sustained, tho this story has not been confirmed with ether the Royal Navy or the government. Both the Royal Navy and the government started investigation shortly after the incident was reported. The only confirmed survivor of the bloodline of inheritance is Alexandra Adelaide of Saxe-Coburg, both of her bothers being killed in the explosion. Further information will be published as it becomes available. For further information, please see pages 2-8.

Parliament, February 20th 1900

Arthur Bailey was still trying to piece together the exact sercomstances that had lead to him ending up locked away in this section of Parliament for the better part of 24 hours. Nobody aside from little Alexandra had gotten any sleep as information was constantly coming in, and reports going out to varying offices and commands. The man who had to be in charge, given his iron-fisted control over what actions were taken, spoke to the room at large. "Alright, I need all the statement amendments now. Time to let the world know what we want them to know with regards to what happened." Arthur gave his amended statement a final read.
QuoteYesterday, February 19th 1900, Queen Victoria and many members of her extended and imedate family were taking a day cruise on a private yacht. At approximently 12:20 London time, there was an explosion on board the ship that destroyed it. It is beleaved that this explosion occured due to mechanical issues with one of the ships boilers. No members of the Royal Family on board are have known to survived at this time. There are surving members of the Royal Family working with members of Parliament and the military on heading the investigation of this unfathomable tragedy.
Without word, he handed is sheet to the man and looked over at Alexandra. She was happily playing with a toy, still ignorantly blissful as to the chaos the griped the men around her.

Portsmouth Naval Yard

Colton McEvoy and the rest of the commanders had more information. They had receved a much more troubling and explosive set of conditions.
QuoteIn addition to those details which have been made public, the following is known to be true.

• The explosion was not accidental in nature.
  • Early investigation of the damage points to the origin of the explosion being underwater off the the port side of the ship.
We must assume at this time that the attack was premeditated, and could be a precursor to larger events. No information on weather this attack was carried out by domestic or foreign persons. All stations are to act accordingly.

Colton stood looking on as HMS Phoenix began taking on loads of ammunition for her guns, hoping that he would not have to use them but wanting to for bringing those who murdered his monarch to justice.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

OOC: I figured it was time to write the dinner that is reference in Elizabeth's letter. This takes place before the events of February 19th

Portsmouth, February 14th 1900

Elizabeth Bailey gave another twirl to the mirror in front of her. The evening gown responded with the flaring of the skirt that she like. Just prefect she thought as her twirl landed her facing the mirror again. Giving herself a final once-over, she nodded in satisfaction and headed for the door, grabbing her bag and a shawl on her way out. The car that Commodore Bartholomew had sent was waiting for her at the curb. Tonight was one of what she assumed were many formal functions between the military and elected officials, but this was the first she had been invited to. She nodded in response to the driver's cap tip as he opened the door to the passenger compartment on the back end of the automobile and clambered inside. With a clatter, the motor turned over and they were off.  Elizabeth pulled out her pocket mirror and began fiddling with her hair again as the car bounced down the road.

At the location of the dinner, a local hotel, Colton McEvoy stood outside relishing the cool night air before he was forced into the stuffy dining room full of officers, politicos, and local persons of importance. Cars and horse-drawn carriages had been rolling up for the better part of a hour, dropping off tuxedoed men, gown-clad women, and officers in dress uniform. The flow of persons had tapered off and Colton could see the doormen begin checking the list for those who were not inside. Just before he turned to head inside, one last car pulled up and after the driver opened the door Colton had to ensure his jaw did not drop as Elizabeth stepped out. Here fire-red hair was pulled up in a ornate bun on the back of her head, with only a few curls left loose to frame the sides of her face.  Her floor length gown was about the same shade of blue as her eyes for all but the top left side running from the terminus on the shoulder to the line just above her left breast and around the back side, which was a magnificent silver color. Gloves of the same sliver color covered her hands and arms up to just above the elbows, leaving her upper arms bare until the shoulder straps of the gown. She waved at Colton, who tipped his cap and called out "Ms. Bailey, how nice to see you again."

Elizabeth approached Colton, unable to keep a small grin from her face which dimpled her cheeks slightly. He is quite hansom in full dress she thought to herself maybe tonight wont be as bad as it could have been. "Lieutenant Commander McEvoy, a pleasure to see you  here. Please call me Elizabeth. I don't mean to be a bother, but I think the doormen are waiting for us." This was accompanied by a small gesture to the door.

Colton replied "Of course Ms., sorry, Elizabeth, we should probably get inside they are starting soon. May I walk you in?" Colton offered Elizabeth his arm. Without a word, just a look from the sparkling sapphire eyes, Elizabeth took Colton's arm and the two walked into the hotel and navigated there way to Commodore Bartholomew's table, which had only two seats open, the other eight being filled by the Commodore, his wife, and three other couples. The Commodore stood and welcomed them and they took the offered seats. As food and drink were brought, the conversation flowed as merrily as the wine. Being the youngest people at the table, Colton and Elizabeth mainly talked to each other, being drawn into the main conversation when the topic called for it. Colton asked about family and other such aspects of Elizabeth's life. Elizabeth answered all of them, and responded with her own questions about Colton's life. When the band began to play its first notes Colton, despite his social shyness, asked Elizabeth to dance as the Commodore took his wife away from the table and lead her to the dance floor. Elizabeth was quick to accept and was soon being lead around the floor by Colton. The dancing was followed by more drinks and conversation as the event wound down. Finaly, Colton walked Elizabeth to the waiting car, and with a kiss on the hand, bid her goodnight.

Commodore Bartholomew and his wife saw the final exchange as they we walking to there own car. Leaning her head on his shoulder, his wife commented. "Sure looks like she is interested in him, and he is interested in her. Ah, young love, remember what that was like. Seems you didn't keep your promise to her father" The last remark was in a jesting tone and got a chuckle out of Vance as they walked arm in arm to the waiting car.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Portsmouth, February 28th 1900

The last week an a half had been a whirlwind for anyone even remotely involved in the military or government. Only for those on the outside fringe of the business being conducted had been able find the time to grieve. Some took to there work to take them to a different reality. Both Elizabeth and Colton had been swept away in there respective duties. But now, just as the tempo of events begin to increase, the Royal Navy began backing off is rapid increase of operations. Rumors began to fly again, ranging from the believable to the all but untouchable by reality. Sealed inside a locked draw in Vance Bartholomew's desk lay the one true rumor that heralded the end of the beginning of the long road back to normality

Karachi, India

"So, these are were those bastards are hiding. Lets hope the got the bloody rotter who planted that bomb to squeal really loud." Sergeant Ian Hartwitch said to the men peering over the low wall they crouched behind around the lit cigar he slowly chewed with each word. Him and the other Royal Marines had come ashore from the battleship HMS Allegiance in the dead of night and approached the place where they were told that some of the men who had helped to plan the assassination of the Royal Family were hiding. Now the crouched behind a low dividing wall, intently eyeing a small house for any signs of movement, and there was plenty. "Rotters must have known we were coming. Can anyone tell if the other squads are in position?" As if to answer his question, the sound of gunfire erupted from the opposite side of the house and the men inside began yelling. "Well, never mind then. You lads know what to do. Come on now, FOR THE QUEEN!" Shouting the last somehow without loosing the cigar, Ian and the other Marines located around the house's unengaged sides rushed the house.

The men occupying it must have left one or two men to watch the back, as wet thunks accompanied by unearthly screaming told any ear within range that someone had just been shot. Ripples of rifle fire flung the same back at there assalents and were rewarded with a dying sharpshooter falling out of a second story window. Reaching the house, the Marines broke down the doors and windows to breach the walls. Once inside, the work was finished quickly and several Indian men lay dead or dying along with three Royal Marines.  Ian supervised the gathering of all intelligence materials, then as the rest of the men were heading back to the ship, he walked around and delivered the final blow to any of the small house's occupants that were still breathing. The last man laughed, casuing blood to run out of his mouth and down his beard, as Ian cocked his revolver and leveled it at the man's head. "Fool, you think killing us will kill the idea? The Raj shalt fall, and England along with it. Only time matters now." The answer left the barrel of the revolver and caused the last thought of the man to fizzle out before it would be formed. Ian left bloody boot prints as he walked out of the house, revolver still smoking, just like the cigar.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

A flyer recovered by Ian Hartwitch

BROTHERS & DAUGHTERS OF INDIA!
Now is the time to rise up against the English overlords!
The English monarch who falsely wore our crown now lies at the botom of the ocean.

Join us in moving to overthrow the now headless snake of English leadership and taking back the empire which is rightfuly ours!

RISE UP! IT IS A GLORIOUS DAY FOR INDIA!
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

London, March 18th 1900

"What do you mean we got the WRONG BLOODY PEOPLE?!" Arthur Bailey struggled to resist the urge to wipe the droplets of spittle off his glasses. The man that had continued to exercise ironclad control over the regency counsel was in quite a fit since learning the Royal Marines' raid in Karachi had failed to net those responsible for the attack almost a month ago. "I don't know sir" Arthur stammered "We went with the intelligence that we had. You read the same reports I did, and maybe some that I did not. Given what was found in the compound, we may have nipped something far greater in the bud. If anything, we now have the illusion to the rest of the world that we think we did get the right people. Maybe that will be enough to get the true perpetrators to stick there necks out right under out sword."

"I suppose you have the right idea." The man replied "That information does not leave this room. I have matters to attend to."

With a nood, Arthur turned and walked out of the office. What a chaotic month it has been he thought to himself life will never be quite again I fear.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

OOC: Please play this while reading.
London, April 3rd 1900

Elizabeth Bailey knocked on the door to her father's office. The voice from within beckoned "I said no visitors Edith. I'm entertaining."

"Daddy," Elizabeth replied in her best prefect daughter voice with a slight tinge of pout "you don't even have time for me?" The question was accompanied by a slight grin that drew a smile from Edith's position behind the secretary's desk. The thump of Arthur running into some object in his haste to get to the door caused a involuntary teheing giggle to escape Elizabeth and she barley regained her composure when the door opened just far enough to reveal Arthur, but hid the rest of the room. "Hi daddy, miss me?" Elizabeth asked as she wrapped her father up in a hug.

Arthur returned his daughter's embrace, but did not let her into the office, stepping slightly into the reception area. "Liza, darling, so good to see you. Yes, very much so. I was not expecting you until later this evening."

"Well, I was able to get an earlier train and someone called in a favor to get a car to take me here. Speaking of which..." Elizabeth now called to the hallway "He is in Commander." Colton McEvoy's head appeared around the door frame. "Well do come in, he wont bite" Elizabeth teased. Not needing any further taunting from Elizabeth, Colton walked into the office and up to Arthur, nodding to Edith with a tip of his cap.

"Lieutenant Commander Colton McEvoy, sir. A pleasure to finally meet you Mr Bailey. Your daughter has told me quite a bit about you." Colton extended his hand.

Arthur took Colton's hand and shook it vigorously. "A pleasure to meet you as well Commander. Please call me Arthur."

This is going rather well Elizabeth thought to herself the seem to be getting along splendidly. Good thing as daddy is sort of the puppeteer of this poor officer's future. Before the conversation continued, all three heard a little voice from within the room. "Artur, play?" Elizabeth watched her father turn red as a beat. To Colton's credit, the single raised eyebrow aimed at Elizabeth's line of vision was very discrete. "Daddy" Elizabeth questioned with a raised eyebrow of her own "who was that?"

Arthur, now red as a turnip, sighed. "Well, guess the cat is out of the bag now. Do step inside." He then opened the door and let both Colton and is daughter into the office. Sitting on the middle of the rug in the middle of a small circle of toys was a small girl, no more then four. Her innocent little face looked at the three adults with a questioning tint, eyes sparkling. Then the little mouth opened, and the question "Artur, play?" was repeated, a little block outstretched in a tiny hand pointing at Arthur. With another sigh, Arthur turned to Elizabeth and Colton and said "Who this is, well that is a very good question. This is Princess Alexandra Adelaide of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, the current heir to the throne of Victoria. Her nanny is currently down sick, and as is becoming much to common lately, I was the only one available to watch her why another nanny is arranged."

Most of this was only lightly registered by Elizabeth, who was having sort of a staring contest with Alexandra. Blue eyes looked onto brown with a slight sense of aw, and the brown eyes looked back into the blue revealing all the curiosity in the world as to who had just interrupted playtime. Without a word, Elizabeth slowly walked over, gathered her skirt, and sat down crossleged next to Alexandra, never letting there eyes part. "Hi there" Elizabeth said in a very calm tone and volume "my name is Elizabeth, what is yours?" The reply would have melted the iron-clad Ian Hartwitch's heart. "Alexadra, play with me Lizbth?" The little block was extended again. Elizabeth grinned from ear to ear.

Arthur turned to Colton. "Well seems I have found someone to look after her for a while. Fancy a drink?" He gestured to a bottle sitting on a chest next to some glasses. "I would really like to get to know you better, I get the feeling your file does not do you justice."

Colton replied, still watching Elizabeth and Alexandra play with the toys scattered about the rug. "That would be nice sir." The two men acquired drinks, and sat conversing about the topics of the day while Elizabeth sat forging the first links of a friendship with a little girl who had no idea the power she would come to wield, and how that power would effect those around her.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

More music for the mood

London docks, April 28th 1900

Despite the ever present claims from officials, there were still areas in London were walking alone at night could get you killed. This section of the waterfront was such a place. Every person he ran into, some even physically, eyed him with the utmost suppicien, enhanced by the cloak which enshrouded most of his body head to foot. Only the tip of his nose was visible in the unnatural glow of the gas lamps scattered to far apart for the common Londoner, but fit his profession perfectly. He spotted his "friend", a stereotypical looking Indian man dressed in a suit, and approached in full view. "Bharam, my boss tells me that your information was wrong. In fact they think it was deliberate on your part."

Bharam's face turned ashen. "I don't know what you are talking about St. Edward. The information was accurate."

"It was in some ways, but not in the most important." The hooded man replied "Those men did not have anything to do with the assassination of the Queen, God rest her soul." He crossed himself as he said the latter part. "We did find out that these men did disrupt your, ahem, enterprise. We also know you gave us that information to take care of them for you. How are the girls anyway? Still alive I hope."

"How did you know about that?" Bharam was genuinely shocked.

"You need not worry about that now, the Police are already there." The reply issued from under the hood. His hands moved into the folds of his cloak. "Now, my employer does not view your actions lightly. Of course it does not help that he stands to be implicated if this issue with the girls goes to trial. So, do you still want to know my real name?"

"But...but you told me" Bharam gulped loudly "th...that...you would have to kill me if you told me!" He started backing up to the edge of the Thames.

The knife slid cleanly from its sheath and pointed right at Bharam. "Unfortuntly for you, that is what I have been asked to do. The name is Coaker, Thomas Coaker. Royal Intelligence." Suddenly the knife slashed across Bharam's neck and then just as quickly into one of his eye sockets. Thomas then kicked the failing Bharam in the chest and into the dark waters of the river Thames with a splash. Thomas wiped the knife on his sleeve, bowed his head and said "Good Lord, do watch over my eternal soul as I am judged for these actions which I have undertaken on this night against a immoral man in the discharge of my duty to my sovergen princess." Thomas then turned and strowed back into the intermittent light of the gas lamps, and vanished into the shadows.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

You know the drill by now, but it really only applies to the first part.

Portsmouth, May 15th 1900

HMS Phoenix awakened from her mechanical slumber like a cat resting in a patch of sun disturbed by a child, grumpy did not quite provide an adequate description. Slowly, the pressure built inside of her pipes and boilers until the resistance of the engines was no longer enough and with shutters that shook the whole ship, they slowly turned over, and over, and over again. Increasing volumes of smoke rose in angry clouds out of her four stacks as the vibrations increased. Holds were closed, bunkers topped off, bags of personal belonging stowed, and goodbye kisses exchanged. Finally, all the pent up energy was gently let out to her propellers by the loving touch of her engineers, the appreciative shivers of the action felt by the whole crew as the hull resonated with the sound. With much more eagerness then her engines, the whole of the Phoenix moved away from the pier where she had been moored and began working her way to the mouth of the harbor. Other ships, the largest being the massive battleship Warspite and the armored cruiser Cadence, were also roused from there quite rest. As the populous of Portsmouth watched, ships built steam and headed out to sea. Some were bound for areas of habitual patrol, others for stale duties elsewhere. A small number, lead by the Cadence, headed off in a different direction then what those who watched the ships regularly knew to be typical routs. Speculation would run rampant in the taverns and clubs of Portsmouth as to where these ships had departed to.

The waves churning along the side of the Phoenix did nothing to help Elizabeth Bailey's pounding headache. Her lunch and breakfast had long since vanished into the English Chanel and she was finally sure she had no food left for the sea to take. Of course she wined internally I have to bloody get seasick. Just my luck. Well, at least I made it over the side as opposed to on the deck. The sailor who stood watch over her, a grey-haired Petty Officer named Seperath, was also undoubtedly pleased with this fact. "Mamn" he addressed her "feeling a bit better now?"

"Yes, I don't think there is anything else that can make its way out of me." Elizabeth replied sheepishly "I do apologize for making you deal with this, it must be rather off-putting"

Seperath chuckled "Nothing I 'avent seen a kiddo do before. You are by far the most polite about it, as much as one can be about this sort of thing. Let me know when you are ready to head back inside, cap' McEvoy wants to talk to you."

"I think we can go that way now." Elizabeth said. Her first shaky steps away from the railing fell just as the Phoenix lost a game of chicken with a larger wave, and Elizabeth was knocked off her feet. Only Seperath's reflexes kept her from landing hard on the deck. Reaching down, she undid her shoes which had a slight heal to them. Picking them up in one hand, she mused "That might help a bit."

Seperath chucked again "I wasn't going to say anything, but that might have been a smart thing to do from the getgo. I will see about getting you a pair of boots that are meant for this sort of use." Elizabeth smiled back at him as he opened the hatch and motioned her inside the Phoenix. Despite the seasickness, she still thanked the Commodore for putting her on this assignment. Getting to see parts unknown, and in such a fashion. She also had been asked to observe Colton and evaluate his command style from a non-military perspective, hence why she was here and not on the Cadence with Commodore Bartholomew. The instructions were odd, and probably came from someone above Bartholomew, but she was not about to question them. It was a task she most looked forward to, as observing Colton McEvoy was not a hard thing for her to do. She rather enjoyed it.

OOC Note: This is my attempt to start some multi player stories (and coax some of you out of writing hibernation). I really have no plans for this aside from things that can happen on the way to parts unknown. Let me know if you have any ideas/plotlines/ect that you want to explore. Otherwise I will come up with something interesting all alone.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

The two cruisers parted the light waves of the North Sea with ease. To the gull flying overhead, who was quite confused by their presence, the trails of smoke were closing in on another single trail a ways off. Continuing its lazy egg-shaped path over the two ships, it drifted lower and lower. There was very little are current, and only the updraft the gull received was from the stacks of the cruisers. The fateage of hours of flying made any effort more difficult, and as the ships drew larger in its vision, the gull finaly picked out a spot on the smaller of the two ships and with quite the grace for how tired it was, landed.

Colton stared at the gull that landed on the railing outside of the bridge. It stared back at him, looking like it wanted something to eat. Giving up quickly, it turned around and appered to watch the progress of the Phoenix over the waves. That is when Colton spotted the smoke trail. He turned, walked out onto the bridge wing, and called up to the observation platform on the mast. "About 10 degrees to port, do you see smoke?" The affermative reply prompted another question. "Well, where do we have vistiors from?" On hearing the reply, Colton order the information relayed to the Cadence and then set about ensuring his ship was prepared for the upcoming encounter.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

May 15th, 1900

Excerpt from a article carried in several newspapers.

Public unhappy with inferiority of our Mediterranean Navy

"The Illustrious class was a mistake" says Edger Pennington of Essex "Anyone would tell you that the speed of Battleships was only going up." That is one of the many arguments made about the current state of the Mediterranean fleet, the core of which is four Illustrious class battleships. Layed down ten years ago, at 16knts design speed they are perhaps the slowest battleships in the world currently. A conservative design when drawn up, they are desperately in need of replacement. The Illustious's are still formidable opponates to any warship they can catch, not a workable proposition with speeds growing ever higher. Even with the alliance to Italy, we need to ensure that our continued access to the Far East is protected by our own warships. Despite there age, the time has come to build new ships to supplement the Illustrious class in the Mediterranean. Continued on back page.
-Siegfried Sassoon