United Kingdom News and Stories: 1900 Edition

Started by snip, October 12, 2012, 10:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

The USN's naval attache in London reads the article and grimaces.  After all, the USN has no battleships in the fleet at all that are faster than 16 knots, though the 4 Maine class ships and the new USS Nebraska were all expected to be capable of 18 knots.

snip

Please see here for the previous part.

"Looks like we have two smaller German cruisers" the lookout relayed down to Colton, who once again tried to grasp the same details from his lower position on the bridge wing. "Both small, one smoking like a cigar. I think that is the Hela, and our other friend is a Bussard for sure, but I cant tell what one. If I had to give you a name, I would guess Seeadler* but who knows until we get a bit closer."

"Keep me informed of any changes in behavior." Colton responded "And once you know exactly what we can call our friends." The reply was lost as Colton returned to the interior of the bridge. "Helm, come about to heading 125 degrees and increase speed to 18knots. Signals, inform Cadence that we are moving to investigate the German ships. Tell the Chief to find a few big flags and set them flying, I see no reason to hide our presence." As the orders were carried out, Colton looked around for the gull that had perched earlier but found no sign of it.

Elsewhere on the ship, Elizabeth had been aware of the increased level of activity for some time. When Seperath appered at the hatch and told her about the German cruisers, her curiosity was momentarily satisfied only to be reignighted when Seperath informed her that she could go to the bridge if she wished to observe events. Making her way up to the bridge was no easy task as she was constantly having to step aside to allow sailors to pass; some covered in coal dust, others shouting orders, and at least one group transporting a large Union Jack. When she finaly did reach the bridge, she was able to slip almost unobserved off to the side, and marvaled at just how Colton interacted with those around him. I think this is exactly what Vance wanted me to see she thought to herself he will most sertently be hearing about it. The only distraction from this observation came when the large Union Jack she had seen was run up a mast to flutter above the smoke rising from the Phoenix's boilers.

The gull once again soared high above the two cruisers. As it continued its lazy circle for hours, the Phoenix pealed away from her traveling companion and set off to the position of the two German ships, with a third sighted on the horizon. Eventually the Phoenix and one of the German cruisers pulled onto parallel courses. The keen observer with a knowledge of nautical code could have read the message run up the signal mast of the Phoenix with ease. This is Her Majesty's Ship Phoenix. To whom to we have the pleasure of meeting?

*Note: This is SMS Falke
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon