Not the same sort of gun...

Started by Valles, September 27, 2011, 11:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

I intend to use Various lever actions untill around 1906.  I will however switch from the 44-40 as a Rifle Cart for the 1896 tech proly, go with somthing like the 300 Savage in a lever action magazine fed rifle.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Carthaginian

Quote from: Desertfox on September 29, 2011, 02:23:03 AM
Except the lever actions are probably more accurate and probably have a faster RoF. Mexico will be using a mix of Winchesters and single shot bolt-actions until the Mondragon enters service.

Loading a revolving rifle and a lever action will be very similar, DF. It takes a fair bit of time to roll that rifle over, feed the rounds into the loading gate, and then to regain your sight picture.

The lever actions and revolving rifles and bolt actions will pretty much be even in performance in the long run- like a day-long battle such as our system will be focusing on.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

ctwaterman

Hey I agree Totaly that the stories make excellent fluff pieces.   Im not sure I want to be using a revolver with some of the heavy rifle rounds used for the Military but heck if you make the cylinder heavy enough it shouldnt blow up in your face.

Over all, these are nice FLAVOR pieces and I enjoy reading them.

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Valles

I imagine that bursting and flash from the seal were problems when the weapon was first introduced into full production, yes.

On the other hand, 1880 will represent five years of tinkering and improvement. If the issues are at all solvable - and the fact that things like this are stupid for usage reasons rather than technical ones argues that they are - I think they'll've been ironed out by that point.

Hmm. I think I may've made an oops anyway, though. Only one of the revolvers firing rounds this big has even six shots, let alone seven. Even allowing for the fact that the cylinder is meant to be larger in diameter to allow that in the first place...
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

ctwaterman

Yea I think the weatherby .454 which can also fire the .44-40 round or a .410 guage shotgun shell only has 5 rounds.

I think the technical issue will find is that you had problems with the Cylinders and blow back until you started using a better quality of STEEL instead of low grade steel.   The Bessemer process in the 1880's will make mass production of good quality steel possible.

Korpen

Quote from: ctwaterman on September 30, 2011, 03:22:14 AM
I think the technical issue will find is that you had problems with the Cylinders and blow back until you started using a better quality of STEEL instead of low grade steel.   The Bessemer process in the 1880's will make mass production of good quality steel possible.
Not, quite.
The Bessemer process is quite mature in 1880 (having been in commercial service for over 20 years) , but unlikley to be used for really high-quality stuff as its speed could create quality-control issues.
The Siemens-Martin (open heath) process would most likely be used when one want time to control the steel more closely.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Carthaginian

Charles:

You mean the .454 Casull?
I've ever heard of a Weatherby round of that size... except the .460 Weatherby, and that is a long rifle round.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

ctwaterman

Could be I am vaguely remembering a .454 chambered handgun that can fire all the rounds I mentioned.

Hmmm  I trying to remember a .460 Weatherby Nitro... the Side by Side Elephant gun.... its good for troops and light armored vehicles...