Not the same sort of gun...

Started by Valles, September 27, 2011, 11:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

the .44 WCF im using or a .454 Casull is about as hot a round as you want in a Revolver action.  Both will offer a MV of around 1000-1100 FPS with a 230 grain round nose and a slow burning powder.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Carthaginian

Ok... I'm looking.
I got a Lyman's somewhere in all this crap we haven't unpacked.

Tonight or tomorrow morning I'll have the data you'll need for this.
Sorry for the delay.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Valles

======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Tanthalas

looks alot better for a revolver type weapon.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Carthaginian

That looks very good, the frame looks much stronger and should be able to hold up to anything that you put into it. I never understood the Japanese fascination for full-length forearms, though.

Valles

*shrug* Personally, I just think they look better.

While we're all hear, though, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I want to issue a 'conventional' bolt-action gun around the turn of the century, or have this soldier through until self-loading guns come available. Opinions?

Carthaginian

Hey- I see nothing wrong with keeping something unique that long.
The real question isn't the action remaining viable- it's whether or not the cart will be as effective on the swap to smokeless powder. If the cartridge makes the change-over successfully (like, say, the .45-70) then you are set. If the cartridge needs a replacement at the same time that bolt action weapons are coming into vogue in the rest of the world, then you might see such a unique weapon replaced.

Tanthalas

the real diferance is post smokeless powder things like the .303 british (which was an OTL transistional period cart) will be making aorund 2000 FPS MV with a 170 grain bullet, while you will see about 1400 FPS MV out of your cart throwing around a 250 grain bullet.  your round will have a shorter efective range than the 30 cal bolt actions but still be highly efective IMHO.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Valles

I'm figuring that 'smokeless powder' falls under the 1880 upgrade cycle (since we don't seem to be getting another one before the Mauser 98 generation), which I've already decided won't be replacing the guns themselves, so that's one point in favor. Another is that one of the two rounds Tan compared it to wasn't developed until 1957 and is still a 'going concern' (even if mostly for testosterone reasons), suggesting that there's plenty of potential for longevity in the case...

The absolute difference in performance should, as I understand it, about parallel the difference under the black-powder loads from things like Springfield Trapdoors. Given the difference in rate of fire, I think it would be and remain a reasonable tradeoff.

OK then. I'll stick with the revolver until the time comes to start people screaming about the non-period-ness of bullpups. ^_^

TexanCowboy

I figure something like that would be the standard weapon of the Rangers. Effective, builds off of the success of the Colts 45, and it has the rapid fire potential that is often important in defeating Indians/Mexicans while outnumbered. Loadout of one of these (Call it a Colt 55 till I come up with a better name) and 2 Colt 45s gives an effective potential of 19 bullets without reloading, vs. one for a standard rifle. Of course, that would only be for the Rangers, maybe 10,000 maximum, and that's pushing it.

Could someone help me to come up with artillery / guns for my army? I'm at a total loss in that regard.

Tanthalas

TC im willing to help you out, and once the site mail system gets fixed we need to talk.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

TexanCowboy

Sure. We can go on IRC if you want to talk now...

ctwaterman

Hmmm.....

I like the weapon its unique.....
But what makes is superior to say a Winchester 73 with its .44-70 round..... and with more rounds in the tube magazine.
Or even the Henry 7 shot in .56 with the Butt tube from the End of the Civil War...???

I see the Revolver as having a higher initial rate of fire but when you stop to change the Cylinder the Trap Door Guns catch up.  And just how many loaded Cylinders do you think your troops will be carrying?

Over all I think rate of Fire is a Wash between Cylinder/Revolver styles and the trap door weapons over a period of say 3 min or more....
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Tanthalas

I tend to agree the ROF will be a wash charles, but since its just for fluf anyway it makes for nice storyline ^.^
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Desertfox

Except the lever actions are probably more accurate and probably have a faster RoF. Mexico will be using a mix of Winchesters and single shot bolt-actions until the Mondragon enters service.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html