Europe
Miketr   Balkans-Turkey
Nobody   Germany
Kaiser Kirk   GB+Brittany
Korpen   Nordic Nations
Jefgte Iberia
Barcaii Italy(ish)

Barcaii

Awww... He got greece. :( Well, at least now I might have something to squabble about. :p

Guinness

Map is still a working draft and negotiable. But given that Mike wants to play a modern Byzantine empire, Greece may be a given there.

Nobody

Well I took the liberty of marking what I believe could be the outline of Germany's 1871 borders. Since reasonble German colors are either white or (Prussian) blue, I sticked with white.

Up in the North (to Denmark) there are two borders marked. The northern one is the OTL Northern Schleswig border, the one more south is todays border. I'm willing to give this province, but not more, to Korpen if he insists on it.

miketr

Quote from: Barcaii on June 07, 2011, 02:10:25 PM
Awww... He got greece. :( Well, at least now I might have something to squabble about. :p

Seeing how the Byzantine Empire is viewed by many as "Greek" Empire it would me than a squabble.   ;D

Beside the Empire has much territory it wishes to recover...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LocationByzantineEmpire_550.png

Eventually

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roman_Empire_117AD.jpg

After all Byzantium is ROME.

Constantine XIX, by the grace of Christ the God, faithful Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans, the Palaiologos, forever August

Michael

miketr

As an FYI

In terms of History to keep things simple just do a mental substitution of Byzantium for Ottoman Empire and things will be all right.  I have the background up to late 1200's but need to finish it.

Michael

Darman

Out of curiousity I'm assuming the Byzantines do a better job repulsing the Turks/Muslims if we're making that substitution...

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Darman on June 07, 2011, 09:18:11 PM
Out of curiousity I'm assuming the Byzantines do a better job repulsing the Turks/Muslims if we're making that substitution...
The Persia I had wanted to play would have successfully rebuffed the Muslims @ 600AD, which would take some of the wind from their sails vs. the Byzantiums.

Still, the success/failure of the Muslims sounds like a topic that might need specific mention & coordination in the Byzantium and most Med countries backstories.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

miketr

miketr

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on June 07, 2011, 09:34:58 PM
Quote from: Darman on June 07, 2011, 09:18:11 PM
The Persia I had wanted to play would have successfully rebuffed the Muslims @ 600AD, which would take some of the wind from their sails vs. the Byzantiums.

Still, the success/failure of the Muslims sounds like a topic that might need specific mention & coordination in the Byzantium and most Med countries backstories.

Short version is Byzantium wins The Battle of Manzikert.  Central Anatolia isn't opened to Turkish invasion and the empire is stronger.  I need to have periods of decline otherwise the thing is to powerful.

Part of the Mods objectives is to prevent players from having direct access to lands open to colonization.  So Persia as a player nation isn't allowed.

I am going to suggest to the mods that there is a Persian Empire and a Egyptian Sultanate.  A pair of nations that Byzantium has a long history of hostility with and that about once a generation or two tries to rip chunks out of and vice versa.

Michael

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: miketr on June 07, 2011, 10:08:13 PM
Part of the Mods objectives is to prevent players from having direct access to lands open to colonization.  So Persia as a player nation isn't allowed.

That's nice. I'm allowed to have my opinions on the matter.

As for the Europe map, all I was suggesting for the GB+Brittany was just that- echoing where the Celtic language group survived into the middle ages.
The history would be that as Rome declined, the area became distinct and independent as part of the  OTL"Gallic Empire" and then stayed independent, fighting and eventually ejecting  the various invading hordes and Saxons and Normans- the various events shoving the disparate little kingdoms of the region towards a "High Kingdom".

By tying it together as a separate region with deep roots, it can still "stand in" for UK in any hundred years war type backstory, yet the citizens of Brittany when conquered would have a primary ID with the nations to the north.  By keeping a continental possession, the Celts actually have to pay attention to the army and alliance groups on the continent to prevent the area from being overrun again.

I drew some lines where the Loire river should be for the southern boundary, and then from Mayenne to Avranches.

Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Jefgte

QuoteHere's what we have where now:

Europe
Miketr   Balkans-Turkey
Nobody   Germany
Kaiser Kirk   GB+Brittany
Korpen   Nordic Nations
Jefgte Iberia
Barcaii Italy(ish)

Nobody (not the Guy) for France ???

What are British doing in Bretagne - west of France ???

Jeanne d'Arc is going to reborn!!!
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Nobody

Gray/Black it is hu. Well never mind.
Took the liberty of coloring a few (obviously forgotten) islands, borders (I liked my red ons ;)) and the Bodensee(Lake Constance) and realigned the legend a bit.

I would only like to make a few changes to history, first of all that the "Reichsgründung" and coronation does not take place in Versailles but in Aachen - in line with most German Kaisers (Emperors (?)) since Charlemagne.