Europe Buildup

Started by Guinness, June 07, 2011, 01:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

And not taking Poland would make me less nervous, but I like your Idea of buying ships from me ;D.

Delta Force

So, I'm trying to determine what I want my encyclopedia name to be, but Poland-Ukraine will have Germanic monarchs. I'm stuck between Polish and German for the official language.

Nobody

So, Poland is a player nation as well, that may be okay, but the Netherlands & Belgium? I don't think that's fair, it's way too small(compared to its neighbors and every other player nation) and as a result too concentrated. I don't think that should be allowed. Also hasn't it already been declared as a minor NPC?

miketr

We put a player nation there because of lack of space elsewhere to put a player nation.  Belgium and Netherlands had fairly impressive economies.  It was the least bad choice for putting someone in Europe.

Michael

Nobody

Economic - maybe - but population?
Was splitting Poland/Ukraine also considered? Would also solve the two "ocean" navy. (Why had they been joined in the first place?)

Sachmle

Quote from: Nobody on August 27, 2011, 08:59:37 AM
Was splitting Poland/Ukraine also considered? Would also solve the two "ocean" navy. (Why had they been joined in the first place?)

That's not a half bad idea. There's plenty of landmass and it would solve the 2-ocean navy issue. An actual Poland and a Ukraine. Obviously, we are but meek toads to the wisdom of the modssarcasm, but I think it sounds like something that should at least be explored.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

miketr

I don't see an objection to reducing the size of it but since it has a player we need input from him on the subject.

I agree that in strategic terms the Black Sea is hopeless Byzantium able to switch it fleet at will and able to close direct access to the Med.

Michael

Tanthalas

while im not in Europe, Poland was one of the countries I considerd.  Personaly I found the 2 totaly diferent navies an interesting prospect.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Delta Force

If someone has plans for Ukraine, I am willing to let them have it. A two ocean navy is an interesting possibility however.

miketr

Quote from: Delta Force on August 28, 2011, 02:50:51 AM
If someone has plans for Ukraine, I am willing to let them have it. A two ocean navy is an interesting possibility however.

I don't think that Tanthalas was asking for P-U.  Question for you Delta is what do you want?

Poland or Poland - Ukraine?  Your economy etc, will be the same either way but one way will allow you to concentrate.  Also I can tell you know that Byzantium would be VERY willing to block the straights any time it felt like.  So your Black Sea Fleet will be in effect cut off.  Its your call.

Michael

Delta Force

I suppose I shall play Poland instead of Poland-Ukraine. Apart from having to have two navies, the country would also be vulnerable to attack from many fronts and would be rather large and hard to defend.

miketr

Again its your call, what do you think is reasonable for your borders?

Michael

Delta Force

I am thinking that the borders of the First Polish Republic would work nicely. Essentially the borders were similar to the Second Republic of Poland plus Lithuania.

miketr

I made some slight changes as much of the historic Polish Republic is in Austrian and German hands.  I gave you more of the Baltic coast for example.  Let me know what you think.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/372/worldmapv6.png

Michael

Delta Force