Empire of Japan, Aeronautical Discussions

Started by Desertfox, May 13, 2020, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

For all things heavier and lighter than air...

Japan has acquired the 1902 Aircraft Tech (up to 1906 Aircraft) from the Vilnius Union. So this question is probably best directed at Rocky but others might have some input as well. Is Count Zeppelin a citizen of Vilnius? And if so would the LZ-3 (below) be a viable basis for a 1902 Aircraft? Japan is looking to built 1 Aircraft Unit in H1/1913, based around the LZ-3. Kirk, how are you treating your zeppelins? Are they part of formal Aircraft Units or are they just storyline fluff?   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZ_3
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

The Rock Doctor

Some folks in the Alternate History field think it's bad form for known folks like Zeppelin to be around centuries after the point of departure.  We'll just ignore that consideration and say there's a Zeppelin dude in the Union, although he might not have a title per se.

snip

To speak to the Authorial Intent (TM) of the rules, Air points are treated the same way as land and deployment points. They are meant to track the relative strength of a nations air forces. In no way, shape, or form, do Air point correlate directly with a unit. This allows for both tracking of strenght, but does not require players to track more detail beyond "I have an airforce and it exists". Anything discussing fluff  such as specific bits of equipment (eg, this thread), is purely at the discretion of the player or players involved in the nation and/or scenario in which the asset is used.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

I have some units I call "Zeppelin G-3" (?) to give an idea of their form and rough capabilities.
I have not tied them to a historic personage, "Zeppelin" seems more useful than saying "rigid airship" or "big framework balloons with engines".

I do not specify their strength.
Basically, I have flying things assigned to go out over over the ocean and scout for me. They can radio back to base.

As Snip says, currently Air Points are Air Points.  How you describe them is up to you.
Currently there would be no rule barring me from moving my air points from Salahah and Zanzibar to the Caucus and using them as air defense units.

Probably the best way to envision it is we all have lots of aircraft but very few pilots, so we move them from type to type.

As I've indicated somewhere in July/August we may get to the point of trying a 'fine tune the rules'
Prior to that I want several turns of things working on schedule.
Currently, other things are disrupting my planned schedule, and August-Sept-Oct are fire season, so all that likely waits until November.

But the expectation should be to expect we will KISS and keep non-naval things very generic even then.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Desertfox

With Japan having completed 1914 Aircraft its time to add some fluff.

Aichi Aircraft Company

Currently the oldest aircraft manufacturer in Japan. They produce the Aichi AB-1 (Curtiss Model F), a [1910 Tech] single-engine flyingboat. Easy to fly, it is primarily used by the navy for training and for developing aircraft operation tactics.   

Kawanishi Aircraft Company

A new rival to Aichi. The Kawanishi Aircraft company produces the Kawanishi H1K (Felixstowe F.2) a [1914 Tech] twin-engine flying boat. The H1K was developed for a navy requirement for a long range scout  and beat out the competing Aichi AB-2 (Curtiss H2S) due to its superior hull design.

Mitsubishi Aircraft Company

Unlike its two competitors, Mitsubishi has not gone the route of flying boats. It currently boasts 4 different [1914 Tech] aircraft in its inventory. The Mitsubishi 1MS/F (Sopwith Pup/Baby) is a light scout available in both land and floatplane versions. It is primarily used for training and well liked by its pilots. The Mitsubishi 2MR (Sopwith 1/2 Strutter) is a two-seat scout primarily being used to develop aircraft operation tactics. The Mitsubishi 3MS (Sopwith Triplane) is a new radical triplane design currently being evaluated by the Navy as a point-defense interceptor.

Nakajima Aircraft Company/Kawasaki Aircraft Industries

Japan's two remaining aircraft companies. Neither has a major product in use at the moment, but both are rumored to be developing new aircraft and in talks with foreign manufacturers to license build their designs.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html