Ethiopian Air

Started by AnchorSteam, August 10, 2020, 09:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnchorSteam

My main problem is one that airpower can't really solve yet; Air-Transport. I can't help it, by `little' country has distance issues. From the southern tip of Somalia to the border with Egypt is about the same as the distance from Tunis to Oslo, and east-west is about as far as from Berlin to Moscow.

Made me curious on Parthia's distances.
Berlin-Moscow : ~880nm
Tunis-Oslo : ~1380nm

Salahah, Oman - Atyrau on N. Shore of Caspian : 1760nm
Ganja, Azerbajian to Jacobabad, Pakistan : 1300nm.
our motto; apocalypse NOW

Kaiser Kirk

Actually with your amount of IC, and the number of provinces - you have more IC than provinces.
While all "Players" are presumed developed, you very much are.
So it would be simpler to assume you have roads and railroads pretty much throughout your nation already.

Beyond that - if you have an Air Point, you can deploy it to any developed region you wish - or even a colony with an IC.
That can certainly be blimps or zeppelins as a storyline matter.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

AnchorSteam

Why does my last post look like such an abortion?
I didn't do that.

maddox

Wanna trade distances in the Inca empire?

AnchorSteam

Quote from: maddox on August 14, 2020, 04:14:17 PM
Wanna trade distances in the Inca empire?
Hey, I didn't pick that one!

Oh well, at least there are no more colony options with an anchor on it to tempt me.

maddox

Yep, I did pick the Inca. After ruling the 800 pound gorilla France in N3, I felt, after 10 years absence, something smaller was more appropriate.

But in the end, The Inca Empire is 3000 miles north to south, and with Manaus as most eastern part, 1500 miles east to west.

AnchorSteam

Okay, you got me, but anyway.... airships do look like the only kind of aircraft that can function as transports in this era, and the only reason ai was looking into that would be to build and maintain an airbase in a place that is otherwise innecesible.

But, that does not matter now, I am told I  have full access to all of my land, and I guess that includes the Island of Socotra. Meaning; once I have air points for recon/patrol, I will have warning of an enemy approach.
Right?

Kaiser Kirk

The Isle of Socotra can be assumed to have substantial ferry service on a regular basis.
You likely even have military motor launches to facilitate troop transfers without disrupting civilian traffic.
Cisterns and food stores would allow for a reasonable ability to withstand siege.
Part of the "IC" assigned the region Socotra is in can represent such things as an excavated harbor in one of the riparian deltas.
Any coastal defense assigned the region Socotra is in would also apply to the island and it's delta.

Air Points assigned the region will be multi-role and given you a good chance to spot.
However, they are subject to the range, hours of operation and weather restrictions appropriate.

Socotra itself would make a fine observation post.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest