Main Menu

How to model in SS?

Started by Kaiser Kirk, March 02, 2024, 03:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Kirk

So, I've always liked the 'frying pan' mountings on the British Carriers.

But..how would one account for them in Springsharp ?

They are not 'on deck' but more deck edge.
They could be 'below deck'- thats seems correct.

The traditional below deck mount- that does not give a warning- is casements.
Casements are lighter as they can kinda be built into the side of the ship, meaning the scantlings provide the structural support with little extra needed.....but they really are Mount and Hoist... but a 'below deck' mount& hoist gives a warning...

So:
A) On Deck M&H
B) Below deck casements ?
C) Below deck M&H and ignore the warnings ?

This of course then matters to my 'wall of lead' AA battery concept, with below deck casement, deck edge M&H, on deck M&H and then superimposed M&H... hmm maybe stacked casements, for 5 gun tiers. I could call it HMS Sovereign of the Seas....

Have to scroll down to the carrier pics of the mountings flush, or close to flush with the deck.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_45-45_mk1.php

Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

TacCovert4

I'd probably go with bd M&H.  Take the warning.   Casement implies limited traverse and elevation.   

Though if the tonnage isn't appreciably different either could work with notes describing the mount.

I've gone for wing galleries with more traditional box mounts on them.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

The conceptual idea I had

[_]   1- Superimposed M&H
       [_]|   |   2- On Deck M&H
   |_|            3- Deck edged M&H
(_|               4- Sponsoned Casements.

= Wall of Lead.

With DP mounts, something scary looking vs. Torpedo attackers on water or air. While also being able to engage bombers high or low.
The weight penalty would be high, as would the beam requirements, but visually it would 'bristle' and it would be fun to bring - instead of the 20 guns of an North Carolina, 40 guns, 20 per side..  Buzzsaw effect on Destroyers, rapidly wreck a cruiser, and very unpalatable for an airwing.

Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest