Main Menu

NPC militaries

Started by Kaiser Kirk, November 11, 2023, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacCovert4

Azteca is suitably disinterested, with a bias towards what advantages Parthia.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

I think's Snip's rules on taking over provinces is also relevant.

Snip wanted to discourage two players from having a war of conquest over homelands,
and keep wars to the provinces, while keeping provinces valuable, but not so much as to merit a fight 'to the death'.

So keeping and projecting power outside one's own lands is difficult.

There is a specific section on carving out 1 province from an NPC - Concessions - which is still overall valid....
because we all forgot about it and it's never been changed, so I guess it's valid.

BUT when looking at a larger war of conquest against another nation
AND
if one looks under economy, you find a severe reduction in value when homelands are conquered - basically 1/4.
Second, if an IC exists or is constructed in a piece of territory taken from another nation's homeland, it only generates $0.25 for a period of 10 years since the territory changed hands.

All of which renders invading one's neighboring homelands difficult, expensive and not terribly rewarding by original design.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Jefgte

Quote...BUT when looking at a larger war of conquest against another nation
AND
if one looks under economy, you find a severe reduction in value when homelands are conquered - basically 1/4.
Second, if an IC exists or is constructed in a piece of territory taken from another nation's homeland, it only generates $0.25 for a period of 10 years since the territory changed hands.

Laksmanavati or Ethiopia, it will cost me more to try to conquer them than to stay at home. I will not benefit from it.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

TacCovert4

Quote from: Jefgte on December 26, 2023, 03:45:30 PM
Quote...BUT when looking at a larger war of conquest against another nation
AND

Laksmanavati or Ethiopia, it will cost me more to try to conquer them than to stay at home. I will not benefit from it.

I concur.   Your only real option is the Australian colonies
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Jefgte on December 26, 2023, 03:45:30 PM

Homelands - yes.

Snip wanted combat in the 'territories' but the not the Homelands.
So taking a nations core area just is not easy or rewarding.

Taking the colonies...that can be done.
The key is if the 'reward' is greater than the 'cost'.

Edit : The obvious difference is that the captured (some damaged/destroyed) IC in a colony acts 'normally', while that in a homeland is at 1/4 for 10 years

Players, and so I expect Non-Player Councils, will put more at risk to defend (or gain) a large rich region than a single province holding somewhere.
There is also always the threat of opportunistic attacks, such as Rome vs. Mayan Alabama,
or the inability to interfere in another's war.

Jefgte

QuoteHomelands - yes.

Snip wanted combat in the 'territories' but the not the Homelands.
So taking a nations core area just is not easy or rewarding.

Taking the colonies...that can be done.
The key is if the 'reward' is greater than the 'cost'.

Edit : The obvious difference is that the captured (some damaged/destroyed) IC in a colony acts 'normally', while that in a homeland is at 1/4 for 10 years

Players, and so I expect Non-Player Councils, will put more at risk to defend (or gain) a large rich region than a single province holding somewhere.
There is also always the threat of opportunistic attacks, such as Rome vs. Mayan Alabama,
or the inability to interfere in another's war.

Conquering an NPC is not recommended.
Considerable resources will be committed on land and sea.
Laksmanavati's fleet is not that small and will require 50% of the Byzantine Imperial Navy (almost all of the Colonial fleets and part of the Marmara fleet).
Losses and the cost of repairs are unpredictable.
I don't know if other Empires won't take advantage of this to attack my colonies.

It's an adventure that will cost a lot of money for no benefit.
I give up on conquering Laksmanavati.

For info, here is the list of ships pre-selected to conquer Laksmanavati.

BB14
BC2
AC4
CV6200 aircrafts
CVE472 aircrafts
SPT4
CL32
DD & TGB71
MTB108
SS16

Sorry Rocky for your SS job.
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

Not a problem.  It was fun to build up that fleet.

Kaiser Kirk

The idea was to ensure the player had sufficient information evaluate what they may likely be facing.

Byzantine has the naval forces, though the land fight may be tough depending on the Laksmanavati land forces.
There would likely be losses, but probably not severe.
The secondary considerations of the weaknesses involved with having the fleet engaged on the far side of the ocean for a year or so would have been interesting.

Quote from: Jefgte on January 01, 2024, 03:32:33 AM
CV6200 aircrafts
CVE472 aircrafts

Hmm, it's been a busy year, and sped up in the fall, but
I obviously am not paying sufficient attention to the aircraft totals of the Byzantine fleet.
I thought my 7 carriers as fighter platforms was pretty good, but your're listing 10 with more planes.
...back to work...

..ah part of the issue is I look at the encyclopedia to see what's afloat, and there's just 2 there.

Jefgte

Quote...I obviously am not paying sufficient attention to the aircraft totals of the Byzantine fleet.
I thought my 7 carriers as fighter platforms was pretty good, but your're listing 10 with more planes.
...back to work...

..ah part of the issue is I look at the encyclopedia to see what's afloat, and there's just 2 there.

No Washington Treaty, no Saratoga or Akagi hulls to convert into CVs so these are small CVs and CVEs.
Surcouf

Kaiser Kirk

I rather agree on multiple platforms, as it limits the impact from loosing a flight deck to a single bomb.
As planes become more effective,launching large strikes will be necessary and bigger carriers needed.
But until Radar and CAP allow better early warning, defending against incoming will make carrier survivability rather important...and replacement. Which is why I was looking at a 9000t design. I do need a training carrier. I think. Maybe something like USS Wolverine though..