Main Menu

Enclaves

Started by Kaiser Kirk, November 11, 2023, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Kirk

In the territory count, the suggestion of Enclaves came up, but in player territories as opposed to taken from NPCs.

I will suggest the rule as follows.
Folks can comment.
Snip is allowed his veto. 
On the one hand it departs his 'no BP outside the homeland', on the other it very much fits the idea of a valuable, but not cripplingly valuable territory worth fighting over...but not to the death.
So it very much fits the the vision goals that way.

So this the Draft.
Obviously a little late for 1929.0
So, probably for 1929.5 if folks are ok with that.

Enclaves
Each Player may designate up to 3 'Port Symbols' on the map as "Enclaves"
           -  These must be symbolized as Port Symbols on the map.
           -  They can not be on single-province island(s) like Jamaica. They can be on large multi-province islands like Cuba.
           -  They represent a regional trade and industrial hub, gathering extensive income and investment, and so become especially important.
Each Enclave shall have the following attributes
            -  Be listed by name and accounted for under the "Regional Income" or "Home" portion of the economic tab
            -  Host up to 3 additional IC, paid for per the cost for that province, and generating $1.5 income per IC. 
                              * This is in addition to the normal provincial IC
                              * The normal 2 provincial IC are accounted, and receives any rich/poor modifiers, for by region in the standard 'Developed IC' portion of the economic tab.
            -  Host up to 2 BP, paid for per the BP cost formula. 
                              * This BP allows items to be constructed in the Enclave, rather than be built at home and shipped.
            -  Shall automatically be considered a 'Naval Base' for Coast Defense considerations; and compared to the rest of the territorial region, +1 coastal fortification per IC in the enclave. *
            -  Once designated, Enclaves may not be moved without agreement from the player base.
            -  A player who seizes Enclaves from other Players may have more than 3.
            -  A player who looses one or more Enclaves may designate (a) replacement(s).

*This goes to Rocky's complaint about the Coast Defense draft chart.
I think it might be worth looking at the Coastal Defense value for the province as a baseline, and giving Major Ports and Naval Bases a +# relative to the baseline.
It would make for a simpler chart at least.

But...time is lacking.  The enclave bit is what's before us, and I felt anyone who designates an enclave -say- 'Singapore' would want to provide defenses, but may not want to massively fortify the coast.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

Ah ha, so the ticket is to steal other people's enclaves until you have as many as you really want.

More seriously - just to confirm the 3 IC is in addition to the usual two per province, or includes the two?

Kaiser Kirk

Modified the language to hopefully clarify.

This is very much the part where folks get to yell ' you're doing it wrong !'... but helpful suggestions are welcome too.

Jefgte

Quote...  -  Be listed by name and accounted for under the "Regional Income" or "Home" portion of the economic tab
            -  Host up to 3 additional IC, paid for per the cost for that province, and generating $1.5 income per IC.
                              * This is in addition to the normal provincial IC
                              * The normal 2 provincial IC are accounted, and receives any rich/poor modifiers, for by region in the standard 'Developed IC' portion of the economic tab.
            -  Host up to 2 BP, paid for per the BP cost formula.
                              * This BP allows items to be constructed in the Enclave, rather than be built at home and shipped.
            -  Shall automatically be considered a 'Naval Base' for Coast Defense considerations; and compared to the rest of the territorial region, +1 coastal fortification per IC in the enclave. *

This seems correct to me.
3 Enclaves for 3 main bases.
- Salvador (Brasil)
- Diego Suarez (Madagascar)
- Port Darwin (Australia)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

Notional thinking on my options:

1.  Nieupoort, Zwiazek Erica Polnocnej (Newport News, Virginia)

Rationale:  Port with naval base and infrastructure; extensive hinterland with range of resources; canonically original site of Union activity on the continent; relatively close to Europe for defensive purposes.
NPC neighbours:  Five Nations, Northern Kingdom

2.  Caciqua, Zwiazek Karaiby (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)

Rationale:  Port near naval base/infrastructure (Puerto Rico); modest hinterland with natural resources; on SLOC between Europe and canal zone but not in canal zone; no land borders with NPCs
NPC Neighbours:  Maya, Roma, Parthia, Aztecs

3.  Eko, Orimirilandia (Lagos, Nigeria)

Rationale:  Port with naval base and infrastructure; extensive hinterland with industrial minerals; no other Union enclaves on this side of Atlantic
NPC Neighbours:  Berbers, Ethiopia, Iberia, Parthia

4.  ~Montevideo, Uruguay (rejected)

Positives:  Extensive hinterland and population, with some resources; port with naval base/infrastructure; canonically original site of Union activity on this continent
Negatives:  Furthest distance from Europe; extensive land border with potentially unfriendly NPC

5.  NE Brazil (rejected)

Positives:  Modest hinterland with some resources; limited port and naval infrastructure; closer to Europe than Uruguay
Negatives:  Again limited port and naval infrastructure; land borders with multiple potential rivals.

Obviously the Azores and Bermuda are too small to allow for enclaves in the first place.

Kaiser Kirk

Oddly I really don't know what I will choose to designate.
Ria De Janerio as my fleet base in the Americas is the definite.
Tricomalee, Dumai (Sumatran base), Brunei, San Francisco, Sofala, Dar Es Salaam, Cape Town, Freetown, Auckland...

I'm going to have to narrow down the choices. Perhaps I should do a Rocky-style Analysis.

But pretty sure I ran out of $10 places a while ago. 

TacCovert4

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on November 21, 2023, 10:03:17 PM
Oddly I really don't know what I will choose to designate.
Ria De Janerio as my fleet base in the Americas is the definite.
Tricomalee, Dumai (Sumatran base), Brunei, San Francisco, Sofala, Dar Es Salaam, Cape Town, Freetown, Auckland...

I'm going to have to narrow down the choices. Perhaps I should do a Rocky-style Analysis.

But pretty sure I ran out of $10 places a while ago.

Mine are more a matter of circumstance:

Angola - The only land colony I have on the Atlantic

San Diego - With the impending ties between Parthia and Azteca, it's only natural to build up a commercial hub there.

Zealand - Between the Parthian and Japanese ties, and the location, it's a good place to build into the fleet base for trans-Pacific operations, and a trade hub.

I really don't need more than just the 3.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

I suppose I should take off the 'Mod-hat' and put on the 'Parthian Player' hat....

I should argue that the number of Enclaves you have be scaled off the number of
either Territories or Port Symbols you have.
Since we only count territories, that would be the preference.

So if you only have 3 port symbols/territories, you can't make all three enclaves
and if you have like 30 port symbols/300 territories...you can have more than three...

After all, it makes sense that more territories would generate more trade centers.

But putting the 'Mod-hat' back on :
as the territories were claimed without planning on Enclaves,
folks can not go back and reclaim territories to change the enclaves.
So the Parthian player's suggestion is unfair and rejected.

TacCovert4

Hey, I have more than 3 ports in my colonies!  Not many more, but more. 

If I was in the arguing mood I'd argue that the Caicos and windwards would be able to qualify,  but I get why they wouldn't have massive industrial potential.....despite me turning them into the biggest and most heavily protected naval bases outside the homeland.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Kaiser Kirk

As there has been no major objections or revisions,

The Enclave rule, as posted, will become 'Live' in 1929 HY2.