River gunboats

Started by The Rock Doctor, January 04, 2023, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

The Union invested a decent chunk of change in river gunboats for operations in Europe back in the 1890s and 1900s.  They were, of course, a relatively fast way to move firepower along rivers, to secure said rivers for one's own use and to deny their use to the enemy - the Northern Kingdom, the Golden Horde and the Romans being the three largest neighbours for whom there were probably worries about a general European land war.

But now we're in the 1920s and we've got tanks and airplanes providing faster and cheaper firepower across battlefields.  Does it make sense to field 12-knot gunboats that will be outnumbered and out-maneuvered from land and air?  Are river monitors now only suited to colonial environments where the threat level is somewhat lower?

In short, do I replace obsolete units or assign resources elsewhere?

What say ye?

Kaiser Kirk

Tanks at this point are weakly armed and armored, and self propelled artillery is quite slow and typically heavy howitzers.
The majority of artillery is horse drawn and kept under ~1000lbs/500kg so it is crew-pushable. QF 75s and similar are low
velocity and at worst would have solid shot.

A vessel that can move long distance/day, With a ~100mm HV gun, a company's worth of MGs, and an inch of armor plate,
that would be a real threat to any pontoon bridge effort, ferry crossing, etc.   Likewise it would aid in just such an endeavor.
Now in the abstraction of our land combat, a single vessel would simply disturb timelines. A flotilla though could buy a month or
impact supplies. The reality is that 1BP spent on 4 Gunboats will not be as cost effective as 1 BP spent on an LP or AP....
I have a feeling the latter are far to 'cheap'.

In riverine service elsewhere they make great storyline sense.

So IMHO, I see a role for limited numbers that don't eat up to much budget.
Currently I've settled for refurbishing my old existing ones, building a lot of littoral aux gunboats for that storyline role,
and I keep designing Gunboats with best intention of building swarms...
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest