Acapulco Naval Conference

Started by TacCovert4, February 10, 2021, 08:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacCovert4

September 1st, 1915

A series of missives go out to all power nations heads of state/government:

His Majesty, Ali the 8th, Sultan of Aztecs

Does formally and cordially invite you, representatives, or designees.  A conference of matters Naval, specifically for the  purposes of reaching agreement in the limitation of arms in effort to forestall ruinously expensive and tension-heightening arms races.  To be held upon the campus of the Naval Academy, Acapulco, Azteca.

This conference will begin accepting representatives/delegates/designees upon the first day of October, 1915, with a scheduled beginning date of the first of November, 1915.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

September 5, 1915

Dear Sultan,

On behalf of the King and Prime Minister, I thank you for the invitation to attend the forthcoming conference in Acupulco.  The Vilnius Union will be in attendance.

Sincerely,

A. Borowiecki,
Minister, Foreign Affairs

maddox

Glory from Inti shines upon you Great Sultan Ali,

Heir Wiraqucha gladly accepts this invitation and will join the most important conference with his advisors.

Honorably
Sapa Inca Cápac.

Jefgte

The "Sultan of the Sublime Porte, Constantine XII" thanked ''Sultan Ali VIII'' for his invitation.

Byzantium will join the conference. Mesazon Théodore Goudelis and his advisers will participate in the Acapulco conference.

Great Respect and Consideration
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Desertfox

A Japanese delegation headed by the Foreign Minister Count Katō Takaaki, and Marshal-Admiral the Marquis Tōgō Heihachirō will be present. The Japanese will also send the new battlecruiser Maya, the diplomatic ship Tatsuta Maru, and the hospital ship Tachibana Maru. The two auxiliaries will be open to tours from foreign delegations, and time permitting perhaps a short (booze) cruise. 
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

snip

The Imperial Roman Republic will be sending a small delegation to the conference.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

26 October 1915

The old armored cruiser Ulan arrives in Acapulco, bearing the Union delegation.

This is the conclusion of a lengthy journey for the delegation by steamer from Vilnius to Erikastadt, then a shorter rail ride (punctuated by stops and tours) along the Trans Erica Canal Zone.  The use of the armored cruiser is less about making a statement and more about the general paucity of other choices, there not being much Union shipping along the Pacific coast of the Ericas.

The delegation is led by:

Anton Borowiecki, Minister of Foreign Affairs
Casimir Grabowski, Grand Admiral of the Marynarka Wojenna Zwiazku
Nils Svedburg, Deputy Head of Naval Design

Darman

Iberia will be sending a delegation

Kaiser Kirk

Parthia will politely decline with the caveat of attending successor conferences.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Kaiser Kirk

NPCs :
As such, any that were invited will decline.

Most prominently the Norse, but also the T1 Rajasthan, and the various T2 powers -
As I have repeatedly reiterated, they are not open for treaty business at this time.

As an OOC thing - my original plans for a combat system and NPC involvement has been severely disrupted by the various wars and my own fire duty. In RL,  I am about where I was in August and my primary N7 goal is to get Parthia up to date.

snip

October 5th, 1915. Saint Rochelle, Novus Francia

Jean-Marc Lefebvre read over the cable once more as he approached the door to the large office that doubled as the small hotel's conference room. He gently folded it back in half before opening the door. Admiral Rossi and Nerio Cino sat inside.

"Thank you, gentlemen." Jean-Marc greeted the other two men before taking a seat at the small round table in the center of the room. He looked longingly at the steaming pot of coffee before beginning. "There has been a change of plans. I've been informed by the Foreign Ministry that the Norse Kingdom have declined the invitation to the Acapulco conference. Given this, they would not be signatories to any agreement. As I'm sure you gentlemen understand, this means that we cannot enter into any binding agreement which may constrain us relative to an unrestricted Norse. As such, I've been told that I will be attending the conference, which is not expected to last longer than a few days now, alone. It is not worth the risk for you and the majority of the staff to travel though the Sultanate."

Rossi spoke first. "A logical conclusion. Without the buy in of the other major old-world powers, such an agreement is stillborn before the first ink wets the page. We should not tie one hand behind our back to appease a nation who's naval inferiority would prompt such a call to begin with."

"Are we to stay here?" Nerio asked. "Or are we being sent home as soon as possible?"

"It has been requested that you and the rest of the staff stay." Jean-Marc answered. "In the event the Norse plans change and there is the possibility of an agreement, then your expertise will not be to far away."

"I suppose we should take the opportunity to inspect the repairs to the Argonauta." Nerio spoke more to the room than his two colleagues. "And as I understand, Triumphus is next when the drydock is free."

"Until the plan changes again." Rossi answered, "That is my understanding as well."

"Very well." Jean-Marc replied. "I will let you gentlemen inform the rest of the staff. Myself and the remaining members have the same train to catch as before, so I must bid you good evening."

Jean-Marc took the time to shake Neiro and Rossi's hands before departing the room to grab a few more precious hours of sleep before crossing the boarder in a way he expected few of his countrymen to be able to.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

To:  Sultan Ali the 8th

Dear Ali,

I understand that several global powers have declined to attend the naval arms limitation conference in Acapulco.  My government advises that this almost certainly eliminates the possibility of any kind of formal and binding naval arms limitations for the foreseeable future.   This is an unfortunate development and one I expect will not improve the prospects for ongoing peace and stability - but it is what it is. 

Nonetheless, the Vilnius Union had dispatched a delegation to Acapulco.  Should you be willing to receive them, they will be available for such discussions as our respective governments deem appropriate; likewise for other international delegations which may have made the journey.

Sincerely,

Sigismund

Jefgte

The Byzantine Empire regrets the position of certain states concerning shipbuilding and notes that the race for gigantism has begun.
The Byzantine Empire pointed out to these states that the resources devoted to the construction of very large ships led de facto to a certain weakness in the other categories of ships.
Moreover, the immobilization or the loss of these very large ships generates a certain weakness of their fleet.

Mesazon Théodore Goudelis and his advisers.
& Grand Amiral Izmar commander of the Byzantine Fleet
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Desertfox

While some nations might not care about the peace and stability of the world, recent events have shown the need for increased discourse and communication between nations. Japan will be sure to attend.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Desertfox on February 16, 2021, 04:33:50 PM
While some nations might not care about the peace and stability of the world,

OOC : nicely put, gotta say great irony that it's a nation that in 3 years has fought China twice, invaded the Maya, and if not bad for bad luck would have been involved in the Roman-Aztec conflict. Ahh, diplomacy   ;D