Future of the Northern Kingdom Navy

Started by Desertfox, August 24, 2020, 12:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

The Northern Kingdom has a capital ship program that will be taking the bulk of the BPs up thru mid 1913. But after that nothing is planned. The Norse navy is fairly well balanced, with plenty of cruisers and enough smaller ships. It is composed primarily of a combination of US and British designs. The question is, what do you guys think would be the next reasonable step for the Norse?

Their current battleline is composed of 6 pre-dreadnoughts and 4 dreadnoughts with an additional 3 dreadnoughts and 2 battlecruisers under construction.

Some ideas I had in no particular order:

- A sister ship to Calgacas class (HMS Agincourt) battleship
- Two 'Standards' battleships (USS Pennsylvania class)
- Two additional Wicklow class (HMS Lion) battlecruisers
- A 'HMS Tiger class' battlecruiser
- Two 'HMS Renown class' battlecruisers
- More Selkirkshire class armored cruisers

Something completely different?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

The Rock Doctor

A second Agincourt clone would make for a coherent battle squadron.

For economic development - St. Lawrence Seaway?  Great Lakes canals?

snip

Ya, a half-sister for Calgaca would make sense. On the BC side, I can see a Tiger making the most sense.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

TacCovert4

On battlecruisers it would do well to ask what there is out there in the battlecruiser department to compete.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

Desertfox

Well Rome has one and one more under construction, while Byzantium has two in the same class as the Wicklows, no one else is there yet.

Kaiser Kirk

As I recall, Walter's most recent capital ships were pretty solid, and aren't outclassed by Roman/Wilno vessels.
A repeat of the BB and the BC might be good- maybe new engines for more speed or free up weight for use in armor/TDS/elsewhere.

If you pick a reasonable gun bore, it can be developed 1913/1914, and then maybe a new class in 1915 ?
Actually, that might be something to check - if he's got a reasonable range of guns, and a 1st Gen AA gun.

Overall, he had the largest fleet, so slowing new ships to both build up a 'roll over' BP reserve and plow funds into new world development might work.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

I've certainly not been pushing the envelope so far as naval design is concerned.

Desertfox

Im thinking starting a sister to Calgacas in H2/11 and an improved Wicklow (Tiger) in H1/12 makes sense. After this first batch is complete, I'm thinking two 'Standards' with 12x355mm and two 'Renowns' with 6x405mm, would be the logical next step.

He does have a single turret 405mm gun but its only 40cal, so a twin turret 405/45 makes sense going forward. There are plenty of guns with AA potential, with 37/50, 47/50, and 57/50 all in the inventory.

Desertfox

There be rumors of a possible Norse player.

As off H1/1913 the Norse would have finished their first batch of capital ships. Their current battleline is composed of 6 pre-dreadnoughts, 6 dreadnoughts, and 2 battlecruisers, with an additional 2 dreadnoughts and 1 battlecruiser under construction. I'm thinking two US 'Standards' BBs and a fourth 'Lion' BC, make sense before shifting to light forces. Thoughts?

The Rock Doctor

Seems like a safe course of action, at least.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Desertfox on March 30, 2021, 11:12:58 AM
There be rumors of a possible Norse player.

As off H1/1913 the Norse would have finished their first batch of capital ships. Their current battleline is composed of 6 pre-dreadnoughts, 6 dreadnoughts, and 2 battlecruisers, with an additional 2 dreadnoughts and 1 battlecruiser under construction. I'm thinking two US 'Standards' BBs and a fourth 'Lion' BC, make sense before shifting to light forces. Thoughts?

There are?
That would be great.

Now that the Hydrophones and Carriers are done,
I think I can get the next expansion prepped and done.

Then presuming no wars break out,
then turn to working with you on getting the Norse worked out.
I think we're in general agreement on the course.

After that I'll look at the longer term to-do list and try to move those forward :)
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Khryses

I'll aim to be ambient for any discussions around this (or at least to learn what I have to work with, while I'm trying to teach myself what working with it looks like).

Thanks for taking such good care of my ice-bitten lads.