Personal transport methodes.

Started by maddox, June 01, 2020, 12:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

On a completely lighter note.

What kinds of personal transport do we all use?

Phoenix and me prefer the motorscooter Sym GTS i  (Big machine, tiny motor , 14Hp 125CC) for daily traffic.  For longer distances ( highway or international) we have a Opel Meriva.

But now, we're expanding into Greener pastures. Due a job change, I'm going to use an Azub Tricon as commuter.

Darman

I had an old Honda Accord but now I need to buy a new car

maddox

Depends on where you are, that could be an expensive affair.

Some of the European countries go overboard on taxes on cars.

Darman

Quote from: maddox on June 01, 2020, 07:56:41 AM
Depends on where you are, that could be an expensive affair.

Some of the European countries go overboard on taxes on cars.
I'm pretty sure I only need to pay the 7% state sales tax plus whatever fees they charge.  At least I'm still working through this. 

maddox

Lucky you.  We pay 21%. And then another tax on "assumed CO2 release" and combined with engine size, power and weight of vehicle. 
Up to €5000 , and then every year a road tax based on the same parameters.   This can go up to , again €5000 a year.

BTW, fuel is on an all time lowest cost now.  $6 a gallon for 95 octane.

Desertfox

That is insane, gas prices are under $3 a gallon here in California, and we are probably the most expensive state.

I have a 2015 Ford Focus (sedan), everyone seems to hate the DCT, but I believe that is due to Americans lack of familiarity with manual vs automatic transmissions. Love that car.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Darman

Quote from: Desertfox on June 01, 2020, 09:16:20 AM
That is insane, gas prices are under $3 a gallon here in California, and we are probably the most expensive state.

On the 95 corridor between Boston and DC prices range from $2.00-2.30. 

snip

Late last year I upgraded from the old '03 Chevy Avalanche that I bought right before moving and which had developed a gunked to hell engine before my time for a shiny new 2019 Ford Ranger. Its got all sorts of fun electronics, and can do quite a lot of automatic driving on highways and faster surface roads. Prefect to get around with, and can tow plenty for when we decide to get a camper and/or kayaks.

Gas has been cheep up here to, somewhere around $2/gal for a while, think the low was $1.65 sometime in April when I had to fill up. Its a double-edged sword here however. People like cheep gas, but it also hurts the state's largest export.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

The Rock Doctor

We have two cars:

-A 1998 Toyota Corolla which we bought three years ago, for $2, from a friend's father just before he moved back to Slovenia. This is my default commuting car.

-A 2007 Suzuki Swift which we bought two years ago from a friend in the city.  This is Mrs. Rock's car.

We also have two horses, of course, but do not commute with them nearly as much.

Gas prices are about C$0.80 per litre, but were as low as $0.60 in the winter and as high as $1.40 last summer.

maddox

All time high was about $8 a gallon.

One of the reasons we like the motorscooter. With 100 miles/gallon.

Jefgte

We have with Madame, a Peugeot 208 Style bought new in 2018. E95E10 petrol price - € 1.23 per liter.

The French are overtaxed for petrol, city parking,motorways, speed cameras ...

We find it particularly unfair that cars are overtaxed for CO² while ships and planes have little or no ...

The carbon tax to clean up the planet, OK but, for everyone!
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

maddox

That's $5.19 a gallon.

But it's 95 octane over here. 

Desertfox

Ya'll don't have 87 Octane gasoline?

My wife has a new Nissan Kicks, its a fun little car. Little by American standards (smaller than the focus). Full size SUV by European ones?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Kaiser Kirk

Personal Truck : 1995 toyota T100 4wd TRD
Go-Kart-of-DOOooom : 1986 Toyota MR2 - manual
Bicycle.

Work Truck : 2017 Dodge Ram 2500 4wd + lift kit.  I am NOT a fan. Meant for pavement in a city, not woods work.
Prior work truck : 2000 Ford 150 4wd ....not great
prior prior work truck : 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd manual.
Before for that a Ram 1500 automatic (poor), Chevy, Ford 150 4wd - great.

Quadrunners have mainly been Honda Ranchers which run well, and Yamahas which don't seem to run that well.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Guinness

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that this is my personal contribution to rising global temperatures:

- Wife's: 2015 Acura MDX
- Mine: 2019 Audi S5 Coupe