Roman Imperial Republic - Inca relations.

Started by maddox, May 27, 2020, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

HY02 1912.  August,  Manaus.

A chasqui brings message rolls to the head of the Inca trade mission , known to most as Manko.

The heaviest of the rolls contains a necklace of epic stature. The small note refers to the other scrolls. 

Reading.  Hmm hmm, interesting. Parthians and Byzantines going to build warships for us. The roman proposals rejected, as not fitting the wished designs.
Next scroll.  A dual message....  Not something somebody sees in a lifetime. A letter with a small quipu seal. In Gold.... A message from the court, with Sapa Inca's agreement.

Carefully opening it...    Ambassadar????  Relations with the Romans to be formalised. Trade agreements, Amazon river/basin rights. Possible military impact. The necklace as Inti's gift to beauty and power...   Toughts swirl trough the baffled mans mind.

snip

Early September 1912, Imperial Colony of Amazonia

"... And so that is how I became an ambassador." Manko finished explaining. "So, I can tell you have questions." In his right hand was an exotic gold and emerald necklace.

Sára Němeček stared slackjawed at the necklace, hardly taking in what Manko had said. "Where did you get that thing?"
"It's a gift, for you." Manko chuckled "From Sapa Inca himself. Do you not like it?"

The emeralds twinkled green in the light. "Of course, I do." Sára stumbled over the reply like a teenage boy talking to a well-developed female peer. "But your telling me that is a gift, from your king, to me. A king sent me that for negotiating over some steel?"

"More or less." Manko's eyes matched his mischievous smirk. "Would you care to try it on?"

Sára managed a nod and turned around while gathering her hair. Mako fastened the necklace around her neck, gently caressing her skin as intimate partners knew how to do. When he finished, she turned to look at herself in the mirror. Sára cared little for high society fashion, but even she had to admit this was a beautiful work of art to be worn.

"It's beautiful." Sára turned around and met Manko's stare. "You have no idea how rare something like this would be in Europe. Reserved for royalty."

"And the king of a land beyond the New World gave it to you for some steel." Manko replied. "Steel and your connections."

It was Sára's turn to smirk. "I knew there had to be more." She curtsied mockingly, bowing her head. "What does the great Ambassador Manko require of me."

"The Ambassador requires that the head of Němeček Maritime takes a small delegation of passengers on the next ship bound for the Imperial Roman Republic. He needs enough cargo space to carry a large amount of gifts and other diplomatic supplies. He also requires what introductions your connections in the Republic can do to ensure introduction to the right people. This is not just an ambassadorial mission, but a trade one as well. In exchange, a special status will be arranged for Němeček Maritime to be the exclusive Roman-flagged supplier of shipping to the Incan trade delegation to be based along the Amazon river."

"All of that is possible for the Amabasador." Sára replied. "We can finalize the arrangements tomorrow when my staff returns."

"Wonderful." Manko replied. "But there is one more thing that Manko requests."

"Anything." Sára replied playfully with a glint in her eyes. "Just don't let all the power go to your head yet."

"Nothing of the sort." Manko's eyes gleamed back at Sára. "I simply need to see how that necklace looks on you without anything else on."

Sára began slowly undoing the top buttons of her dress. "I think that can be arranged, Mr Ambasador."
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

maddox

Cuzco, Imperial palace,

Welcome Hunu Kuraka Asiri.  It seems your province is expanding fast.  And with that, your responsibilities. Be honnest, can you handle that all? From a Hunu Kuraka that handled a full allotment, to one that is getting a lot extra extra work.

Sapa Inca, my duties towards Inti are clear, and I have to admit, as I told President Chualpi 2 weeks ago, I will handle the duties as far as my capabilities stretch. But they are stretched aleady, and my pears are watching me with envy, fear and a tad of gloating. I know I can handle the current load. But with the sudden increased responsibilities towards Manaus and the Atlantiq coast trough the Roman Republic empire, I feel overwhelmed. Isn't it time to divide the responsibilities? 

Thank you for your honnesty. I know some of your peers would have boasted that they could handle it all. But I don't have a need for arrogant powergrabbing foxes. I do have a need for reliable leaders.  You'll see the effect sooner or later. Who would you nominate to take over the responsibilities of the West? 

Inti is praised. Sapa Inca, thank you for the question, but I wouldn't nominate anybody unworthy. Let me gather my toughts and information over a mooncycle, and allow me to answer this question. 

I can grant you that month, but if you don't give me a good chosen one, I will pick one from the others.

Great Capac, that is wonderfull.  And to honor your unwavering wisdom, I can tell you, our engineers at Iquito have designed the perfect Sunchaser. A river craft that can ply the mighty River from Iquitos to the Atlantiq. The artists rendition will be with you as soon as the design bureau has finished that piece of art.

maddox

Early october.

A river steamer with a foreign flag is docked at Iquito. The coal and other supplies replenished, the cargo already loaded.

The passengers arrive, clearly a rich family with retainers. And after some exchange of greetings and message tubes, they board.  The 2200 miles voyage over the Big River starts.

A new head trader for the rapidly expanding Manaus warehouses and port facilities and his family form the core of the travelers. But the others are aides and clerks for Ambassadar Manko.

The cargo. Most is "ambassadorial stuff" Manko requested, with enough means to set up an embassy in a far away country.
Lucky, he has a good guide to do this in style, and has a good idea what it all will cost. The contents of 2 big heavy bronze and wood chests assure it can be done in style.   

maddox

Halfway between Iquito and Manaus, the Němeček Maritime river steamer Prinzessin Katharina stopped at a small village along the shore.

The villagers seem to know the ship, and have prepared a feast for the visitors.*

Captain Csaba, sotto voce: 
Waranqa kuraka Antay, the villagers have prepared a feast and festivities for us, but the village elders did warn me, that one of the highlights of this festival could be disturbing for the more faint of heart. They call it sacrifice to the river.  You can see that caged Capybara, that's the sacrifice.

A Ronsoco, rather big one to.  Oh well, good eating too. I'm curious how the natives see this sacrifice.

The festivities go as clockwork. The Antay children quickly adapt to their peers, and soon one of the boys is learning to use a blowgun. 
The adult visitors are shown the village and several of the craftspeople doing their thing, especialy the female crafts. The dialect is different, but 2 of the aides with Shuar background can translate for the rest.
Several things become obvious. 

• The children are kept away from an inlet that is lined with a floating boom and presumably a net.
  • The Capybara is very placent. Logical, as it is being fed plants that calm down. 
  • Even if these people are natives, they use a lot more steel than appropriate*. Important information to Iquitos, to be relayed as soon they are in Manaus. 
  • There are serveral kinds of Chicha here. The typical muddy casave non fermented version for children, the fermented , but lightly alcoholic adult variaton, but also something amber as sunset reflected on gold, but clear as water. Captain Csaba identifies this as a Northern Imperial Amber beer. And compared to the normal Chicha's , this packs a punch.² It's also very bitter compared to the very sugary chicha's. But after a mug or 2 some start to like it. An aquired taste it seems.

But as the sun is setting, and the meal finished, the villagers start preparing for the main thing of the day. The sacrifice to the lifegiving river.
The capybara, now very slow and drowsy from the stupor inducing food it has been given, is guided with a sturdy leash to the inlet, and forced into the water. 
For moments, nothing happens. Just a lazy ronsoco floating in the river.
But, the water starts to boil, death squeels erupt, a bloody froth forms, and after a minute or so 2 young men pull the leash in. Only a chewed skeleton and half a head comes back from the water.³

The Inca family looks at it, raptured, and give thanks to Pachamama. It was a good sacrifice.   

*Sára and Manko prepared this, to break the monotomy, day after day nothing more than a brown silty river and bright green shores, the thumping of the reciprocrating engine and the oppressing heat. 
² Chicha has an avarage alcohol content of 2 to 3%, European strong beers, -better suited for travel, unless it's an very bitter IPA, what travels even better- are 5 to 8% in 1910. Now we see  the lower end of strong beers, starting at 7% Like Duvel. the beer the natives are serving for their guest and elders, is from a cask of Palm export- a non existing beer, but for story purposes it is a strong amber colored beer with extra hops added to increase flavor and travel-wear.
³, Piranha stories like this can be traced back to Theodore Rooseveldt, who has witnessed how local fishermen had starved a shoal of Pirhana behind nets, and did trow in a pig to impress the foreigners.

snip

Early April 1913, Rome

The City of Rome sprawled out along the winding course of the Tiber River. One of, if not the, grandest cities in all of Europe, the history of Rome ran wide and deep. Manko had never seen a major European urban area before and the scale awed him. No doubt this was slightly due to the more than 3-week confinement aboard the RCS Lili Němeček transiting from the Roman colony of Amazonia, but even then, the city was still impressive. Before him grand churches, vast plazas, and modern buildings shot from the ground. Indeed, Rome was not built in a day but though the centuries as one of Europe's oldest and storied cities.

Manko and some of his senor staff were on a tour of the city, accompanied by some of the officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that they had been working with. Clearly the officials and been instructed to ensure the Incan guests were shown every site they wished to see. Prior to this tour, they had been shown the wonderous Saint Peter's Basilica along with the ancient Colosseum. Still other staff were occupied setting up the formal Incan embassy in the city's Piazza Diplomatica. While the process had been slow to start, the original plan had been for Manko to have been set up months before, the Roman bureaucracy was quite efficient when spurred into action.

Haven taken in the sites from the rooftop balcony long enough, the Incan delegation and their Roman piers descended the building into some waiting motorcars outside. The Incan flag attached to a small flagpole on the front of Manko's car was a nice touch. For almost forty minutes the convoy wound its way through the old streets of the city. Finally, they arrived back at the Incan Embassy. There were slightly more vehicles than normal out front and Manko did not notice the Roman soldiers until the poorly concealed reaction from the Roman diplomat in the car alerted him. While normally an effort was made to allow for translation, the rapid-fire conversation between the diplomat, driver, and another man who had run over from the building left no time for such. Manko leaned over to the translator.

"Is something the matter?"

"Yes, but nothing to do with you." The translator replied. "It seems we have an unexpected guest, and she is not the kind of guest you want to be unprepared for. They are seeing what can be done."

Manko examined the soldiers while the energetic conversation, now involving more individuals, continued. Sára had given him many items to read on the long passage when they were not entertaining each other. One of those books had been on the Roman military and some of the facts from the dry tome bubbled to the forefront of his mind. These men were not Roman Army, but Roman Marines. The Marines were the purely professional branch of soldier, unlike the Army which outside of its professional core was mostly maned by conscripts. All these men were peak physical specimens, even for infantrymen. There where only a couple of them, and Manko saw most only carried pistols. These were of the newer semi-automatic variety rather than revolvers, a fact which would please Sára since one of her father's companies manufactured the weapon.  The last item he noted before the diplomat turned to him was that each of these men wore a red armband with a silver eagle on it.

"Ambassador Manko." The Roman diplomat began via the translator. He seemed quite nervous. "I first must apologies for the inconvenience. There has been an unexpected arrival in addition to Minister Landi."

"So I came to understand." Manko replied. "Is there anything you require from us to accommodate the arrival? Would you prefer to reschedule this meeting?"

"Nothing of the sort will be necessary." The diplomat replied hurriedly. "I do ask your flexibility and understanding. Our guest cannot be turned away, tho her presence does require some additional formalities."

"I see." Manko replied, the understanding of what the silver eagle meant teasing him with its forgotten meaning. "Please inform me what is required of my staff and I will convey the information."
"I'm afraid there is not enough time to properly inform you as to all that is formally required." The diplomat dabbed at his perspiring brow. "This is of course our fault and we will take the blame. That said, there are some small items we can address." The diplomat listed some protocol items, and Manko was stuck by the formality required. The message was relayed to the rest of the Incan delegation. Manko also sent one staff member to the various valuable gifts they had brought with them. One would clearly prove necessary and Manko instructed it be beautiful, but subtle.
The group of Romans and Incas finally moved into the embassy where the staff attending the meeting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs broke off to the main conference room. Outside of the reception space, Manko and the other Incas were gently stopped while the Romans entered the room. Manko noticed two more Roman Marines with red armbands on ether side of the large double doors. After a short time, one of the diplomats appeared at the door and motioned the Incans inside.
Manko had not quite expected what he found in the room. Standing next to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Aloisio Landi, was a short, noticeably young woman. She seemed to command the silent respect of all the Romans in the room, but she also seemed very approachable if not aloofly naive to the effect she had on the others. It was then that all the pieces clicked and Manko knew who stood before him. The lessons and reading that Sára had given him during the months long wait in Amazonia and on the shipboard weeks had not covered this. As one of the Roman diplomats turned to him, the translator leaned in.

"Ambasador Manko of the Incan Empire, I have the pleasure of introducing you to Crown Princess Amelia Vittoria Sforza of the Imperial Roman Republic.

Amelia had come to take some small joy in the discomfort her presence tended to inspire in the more conservative members of the Roman government she had the pleasure to interact with. Doubly so when she could catch said members off guard. Both had been in great abundance in the past year. When the opportunity had arisen to attend this round of talks with the Incan Ambassador, she had requested that Minister Landi keep her attendance unknown so as not to overly formalize the proceedings. Her father had insisted on practical exposure and Amelia had found that the formality of her presence normally made things far less practical. Landi's gentle remark before exiting the car and the shocked faces of the Roman diplomats were quite worth it.

The apologist groveling was also something Amelia had gotten used to. She had grown quite apt at accepting such very quickly and to the satisfaction of the persons begging forgiveness. Now she nodded her way though the poor soul who had been proving the Incan delegation with a tour explain why something completely beyond his control was his fault.

"All of this is perfectly understandable." Amelia was finally able get a word in while the man took a breath. "This was a last minuet addition and you and your staff prepared as best they could with the time available. I commend you all for your efforts. Now, I don't believe we should keep our guests waiting any longer."

"Indeed, the Crown Princess is correct." Minister Landi spoke up. "Please show the Ambassador in."
Amelia was surprised by the Incan Ambassador's appearance. He was a very tall man, with handsome features. Thick black hair, longer than Amelia's own, spilled volumusly from his scalp into a ponytail collected at the back of his head. The clothing he wore was brightly colored, especially in comparison to the suits worn by the other men in the room. His deep brown eyes contained nothing but excitement and curiosity, hardly flinching in the slightest when his gaze turned to her.

Landi leaned over and gently whispered "This is Ambassador Manko." The translator had just finished saying something in Incan to Manko as Landi returned to full height.

Manko finished his approach, having taken a small box from one of the other Incans. He bowed deeply, sweeping his left arm wide theatrically. "Crown Princess, it is a wonderous pleasure to meet you on this fine day." One of the translators conveyed to Amelia. "My name is Manko and I have the glorious honor to represent Sapa Inca here in the great Imperial Roman Republic."

Amelia curtsied. "It is my pleasure, Ambassador."

Manko produced the box and placed a hand to open it. "If you will allow me, a gift from Sapa Inca." He pulled back the lid of the box to expose a shimmering rectangular green emerald about the size of Amelia's thumb encased in a gilded web of fine wire woven into a cross. "I'm told by a dear friend that gold items such as these are typical for European royalty. I hope I have contributed something worthy of your collection."

Amelia was not the greatest fashion mind, but she knew there was little she possessed that would rival this outside of ancient ceremonial items. "Sapa Inca is most kind, please convey my thanks."

Manko beamed. "Indeed, I will. I will ensure that my resident metalcrafter sizes the necklace properly for you while the meeting occurs. May I have him take a measurement?"

Amelia would have sworn the air pressure in the room dropped as all the Roman civil servants collectively gasped in silence. "If it wont delay the meeting, I know the Minister and his men are eager to begin."

"But a moment." Manko replied while snapping his fingers. A short older man with a cleanshaven head quickly appeared. "If the Crown Princess would not mind placing the gem where she would like it to hang." Manko offered the wire-wrapped gem to Amelia.

The thought of giving all the older men in the room heart attacks by placing the gem approximately between her breasts flirted momentarily with Amelia's mind. She gently took the gem and held it at a much more conservative location nearer to her neckline. The Incan metalcrafter took the measurements quickly and hardly disturbed the fabric of Amelia's dress, let alone touched skin. Amelia handed him the gem and he disappeared as quickly as he had arrived.

"Wonderful." Manko jovially replied while turning to Landi. "Minister Landi, I do hope I have not kept you waiting. Shale we begin?"

"Of course, mister Ambassador." Landi motioned to the large table in the next room. "You will find all the materials ready."

"Wonderful." Manko turned to Amelia and offered his arm. "Crown Princess, what do you know of the great Amazon river."

Amelia accepted the arm. "Very little outside of an academic background I'm afraid. I do look forward to learning more about what you believe the river to be capable of to connect Incan and Roman interests."

Amelia, Manko, Landi and the rest of the Roman and Incan diplomats took their seats and began the first of many discussions about the Amazon.
-Siegfried Sassoon

snip

Mid May, 1913. Outside Budapest, Pannonia. Estate of the Němeček family.

Julius Němeček was no stranger to hosting foreign dignitaries, but his current guest would forever be remembered. When his youngest daughter had written him to inform him of her latest venture, he was pleased. Němeček Maritime had proven to be the best investment he had made in his children's companies and he could not be prouder of Sára. When Julius had proposed that Sára invite the Incan ambassador to visit, he had expected a conventional diplomat-adjacent affair. What he got was about as far from that as one can get.

Manko's introduction at the Němeček estate was as flamboyant as the man himself. Dressed in a fine Italian suit made of a bright purple fabric, he behaved like no European diplomat. That said, he was incredibly polite and a pleaser to be around. Everyone received some sort of gift, down to Julius's many grandchildren. Manko had presented Julius with an exquisitely crafted tie clip and matching cufflinks dazzled with small gems. Similar gifts of fine jewelry had been bestowed on his wife, all his children, and their spouses. Nothing quite matched the regalness of the necklace that Sára wore, but no one gift was identical, implying though and care had went into picking each piece's recipient. After a long day of introductions and a fabulous meal, Julius, Manko, and several other Pannonian businessmen enjoyed some after meal refreshments on the spacious back patio overlooking the Danube.

"The views never cease to amaze me." Manko began between sips of a dark brown beverage from a stout glass. "There is so much variety of natural beauty to behold in Europe."
"That is quite true." Julius replied, along with the nods of several other men. "There are splendid places to just step back and take in the view wherever you may go. Im sure your homeland offeres such joys?"

"Indeed it does, tho most of the views are more similar than the variety that can be found within Roman lands." Manko said. "Tho that does come with being a much larger country." There was a murmer of agreement while Manko took another sip before continuing. "There are wonders back home that I know Europe does not possess. Have any of you gentlemen ever seen the vast jungles of my home continent?" When none of the assembled crowed replied, Manko wasted no time. "Come gentlemen, let me tell you so you may know of its wonder and mystery."

Sára gently opened the door the patio with her back, hands carrying a platter of ice cream dishes. Normally this would be done by the household staff, but Sára wanted to discreetly check on Manko and her father. On exiting the house, she turned around to see the group of older Pannonian businessmen gathered around Manko, who was engrossed in a story.

"...and the scull came out almost clean of flesh. Almost nothing would need to be done to preserve it and it was effectively undamaged." Manko mimed the extraction of the scull from the water with his hands.

"Preposterous." One of the other men replied. "There are no fish in the world that could be so carful. Surly there had to be some damage?"

"None whatsoever." Manko beamed as he did when engrossed in a story. He noticed her approach and winked playfully "If you don't believe me, perhaps the lovely Miss Sára can corroborate my tall tale."
Sára set down the tray next to the group and smiled. "Let me guess, he is trying to tell you about piranhas?"

"Exactly my dear." Julius replied. "Is what he says grounded in reality?"

Sára had to resist rolling her eyes a little. "While the Ambassador does tend to exaggerate from time to time, I've seen what the piranha can do firsthand. It is as he says."

"Most fascinating." Julius responded. "Thank you for the ice cream Sára."

"My pleasure sirs." Sára lightly curtsied "I also wanted to make sure the Ambassador was not causing you to much trouble."

"None whatsoever." One of the other men replied.

"Then I will leave you gentlemen to your drinks and desserts." Sára turned and walked back to the house. As she opened the door, Manko began another tale.

"If you find pirana hard to believe, then perhaps I should not tell you of the incets as large as your torso."

Some time later, the sun having begun to dip below the hillsides, Manko was still engaged in conversation. This time however, he was listening intently rather than speaking.

"There are lots of investment opportunities." One of the other businessmen continued. "It seems like there are new companies jumping up every month to build aircraft."

"The trick," Another pointed out to Manko "is to find a company that has not yet landed a major contract but has a aircraft that is capable of landing one. After that it becomes a more stable investment."

"This makes sense to me." Manko replied. He then asked a seemingly innocent question. "And are any of these companies with contracts forbidden from selling to others as well?"

"I suppose not, but some terms would require prioritization of orders." A different man responded. "At least that is how it works for contracts in my line of business."

"We have no aircraft manufacturers in my country." Manko replied. "So the topic of exports may be of great interest."

"In that case, allow me to make some introductions on your behalf to the Short Brothers in Wessex-Londinium, a family friend knows the brothers quite well."

Late that night, a telegram was delivered to the Incan embassy in Rome:
QuoteSEND LORESEKER TO MEET MR AZZARA IN LONDINIUM. STOP
INQUIRE TO SHORT BROTHERS LIMITED ABOUT AEROCRAFT PURCHASES. STOP
INFORM OF EXPENSE AND ACQUIRABLE EXPERTISE. STOP.
-Siegfried Sassoon

maddox

Inca embassy Rome,  middle of the night.

Chasqui Quena recieves a telegram from a blurry eyed mailman.
QuoteSEND LORESEEKER TO MEET MR AZZARA IN LONDINIUM. STOP
INQUIRE TO SHORT BROTHERS LIMITED ABOUT AEROCRAFT PURCHASES. STOP
INFORM OF EXPENSE AND ACQUIRABLE EXPERTISE. STOP.

What, how? We don't command loreseekers. And there are non at the embassy. Nor can we ask or demand the services.
Not a lot of options.  Send another telegram with the lack of results, delaying the whole thing more. Send a message to Cuzco, in the hope somebody can reach a loreseeker in Europe. Again delays.  Or send a chasqui to Londinium as a stand in for a loreseeker. That sounds the best option.  A message to Budapest, explaning the reasoning, and asking forgiveness for the action.

A good chew of leaf later, mind working at full tilt, vigor rising. No need for a carriage or motor car, the post office dealing with telegrams isn't that far away, a easy runs distance, Quena goes on his duty. Luckely, the money for this kind of endeavors is available. But will it be enough to get back? 

A telegram to Ambassadar Manko. 
Quote"No Loreseeker. Chasqui on the ball."

Off to Calais.   Trains and ferry will get him to Londinium in 2 days. At least he doesn't have to run a lot. But how te keep in shape? Running on the train isn't socialy accepted.. Something to think about after returning. 

maddox

Quena is walking trough Londinium, a grey, coalsmoke reeking morning. 

The big city rivaling Rome in population pressure. But is different. Very different.  Rome is a city of constant renewal, pushed by the influx of revenue and eager minds.
But Londinium is true to the Roman spirit of old. No dazzling fripperies in reinforced concrete, nor esotheric gossamer structures in cast iron and glass.  Sturdy buildings, many levels high. No earthquackes, he was told, so, more room is made by building high.  Mechanical systems heave people and goods up, he himself has used these contraptions in Rome, elevators, escalators and lifts they are called. He's of 2 minds on those. 
But the wooden structures of the past are just that. History.
Piling many pachac waranqa* people on top of each other does impose problems, especialy fire safety with wooden buildings. Good stone, strange red ceramic bricks and concrete are the thing. Strangely enough, granite, basalt and other real stone is mostly used as estetic accents or durable steps, stairs and simular. And even here, 2 millenia of footsteps leave marks.

But the task. Finding the Short Brothers Limited.  Whatever Limited means in this case.

* 100 000

maddox

Rome, Inca embassy,

A Chasqui brings a message in.  Ambassador Manko reads it with his usual attention.

Hmm, modern battleship guns for the  "TAZ Circumdatos" to replace the outdated, but very valuable scrapworthy bronze guns we're mounting on those atm.
I wonder how Sára's father would react on a contract the size of that? 100 tons of main gun on a carriage, the mind boggles to the idea.  We'll have to redo the whole railroad network to get those monsters anyware.  Maybe I should temper the idea a bit, and propose to use the 340mm guns our Roman friends have honed to a T, lighter, cheaper and readely available.   We could even hammer out a deal on experimental versions, with higher elevation gear, just to think of one....  Damn, why did I listen so much to the military aides at the parties, my mind is gitting swamped with military mumbojumbo....