Something Interesting

Started by snip, March 25, 2020, 10:09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

I found this while browsing the news this morning. Very interesting read.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

maddox

Impressive analysis. A very interesting article.

Now we're going to see oceangoing radio towers ... ;)

Kaiser Kirk

Interesting idea.
Naval Radio was rapidly evolving, so I'm not sure if the comparison of radio facilities to earlier ships is fair.
I have a in depth, if confusing, book on fire control, and those early tables did not work terribly well for plotting the ship locations. 

I do like they make the point the Invincible class were meant for AC hunting, p the armor scheme makes better sense for the first two classes, when the German 8.2" guns are considered.
Even so, one dud that penetrated the belt at Falklands could have conceivably been a critical hit had it exploded. 
A "golden twinkie" type hit, but I wonder how naval history would judge BCs if at Falklands the Germans had blown up an Invincible early on and chased off the survivor?
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Desertfox

Anyone remember the Alt-history story where a different German Admiral takes over the High Seas Fleet and crushes the British at Dogger Bank and Jutland? If Invincible takes a golden twinkie and then the British fleet including the battleships gets crushed at Jutland, wouldn't that be an indictment of British ammo and ammo handling rather than on battlecruisers?

I just realized that my intelligence gather... errr diplomatic ship, would also make a great C&C ship. Did anyone else try building dedicated command ships like the US Blue Ridge class?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: Desertfox on April 02, 2020, 10:15:03 AM
Anyone remember the Alt-history story where a different German Admiral takes over the High Seas Fleet and crushes the British at Dogger Bank and Jutland? If Invincible takes a golden twinkie and then the British fleet including the battleships gets crushed at Jutland, wouldn't that be an indictment of British ammo and ammo handling rather than on battlecruisers?

I just realized that my intelligence gather... errr diplomatic ship, would also make a great C&C ship. Did anyone else try building dedicated command ships like the US Blue Ridge class?
Letterstime, right?

Desertfox

"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

The Rock Doctor

Never did care for that TL at all.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Desertfox on April 02, 2020, 10:15:03 AM

An easy scenario would be if the Germans realized their radio traffic as they left the Jade was tipping off the British, and so used that to bait a trap, catching and crushing a portion of the British fleet.

They were cursed with bad fuses too. Navweaps I think has a discussion, they found prewar that if hitting on an angle their fuses wouldn't function if passing through more than 9" of armor.
Which has made me wonder about the later BCs with 9" armor and if there's a relationship there. 
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest