Have enough issues cropped up with Pre-Start stuff to where we want to redo it?

Started by snip, April 24, 2018, 09:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

I'll let you know right after snip confirms we all want it.

On an unrelated note, I assume the Panama Canal is not yet a thing.  Be interesting to see who wants to tackle a canal in that region.  Drydock costs are the real killer there.

Walter

QuoteI'll let you know right after snip confirms we all want it.
Uhm... We all want Mexico? :)
QuoteOn an unrelated note, I assume the Panama Canal is not yet a thing.  Be interesting to see who wants to tackle a canal in that region.  Drydock costs are the real killer there.
Looking at "Who's Online", looks like you are wondering whether you should try it or not. Maybe you should. ;D

The Rock Doctor

If there isn't one - and the lack of major power expansion outside Europe suggests that to be the case - then somebody will probably build one eventually.  Do I want to be in on that or not?  Depends on what I end up doing in the Pacific, if anything.

I'm trying to find a reference to a supposedly not-terrible route in Colombia where the continental divide brought two rivers relatively close together, but will have to keep looking for it.  I recall it from my N3 days, of course...

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Walter on May 30, 2018, 07:49:47 AM
QuoteConsidering that places like the Incas / Confederation/Maya are all states, and so seizing a province means you have to beat 10 Land points.. they are well armed.
I assume that that is the Parthian way of trading. The Norse way of trading is carefully approaching them and flash those shiny boomsticks at them and try to convince them that those are nice tools
to deal with their enemies in exchange for neat stuff like those I mentioned above. Why do you think that they are well-armed to begin with? *sells more arms to trade partners* ;D
Well my observation was more that Snip's designated level of ability for the NPCs is fairly considerable..and that's just to get them to give up on 1 province.

I was thinking of the legacy of trade muskets in both the Americas and Africa. While in 1492 (when I presume some Roman dude named Columbus, working for Iberia, sailed the Ocean blue and found land in the way of the route to China) the Americas had the roman and Norse exposure and so may have had metal weapons & armor , but no guns. However in the centuries since, there would be ample opportunity to pick up a fair number of guns, and presumably eventually figure out how to do their own.

QuoteOh, I will note that I intend for the Parthians to have been the ones to outlaw the East African Slave Trade, and their African Squadron dates from that time.
So... outlaw East African Slave Trade but keep up West African Slave Trade? :)
The Parthians would not have had the naval capacity for activity off the west coast.

Historically clamping down on the slave trade is something the British did, but Rome they don't have a presence in Africa or a base in Zanzibar.  Historically, Oman had conquered much of the east coast, and then the sultanate split, one ran Oman, one ran Zanzibar. Here, Oman was inherited by Parthia, so I'm guessing the Omanis in Zanzibar should be relatives of the Parthian crown.   

I've tried to make the history follow the OTL as much as possible, with key departure points.  So I presume there was an East African Slave trade, and I presume it was eliminated.

Rome/Byzantium both historically had a great appetite for slaves. It seems likely that the OTL Persians while officially outlawing slavery, did had very limited slavery, where someone could be reduced to that status for a reason...the typical being POW, but also debt, punishment. The Arabs definitely had a slave trade, for centuries.  So I think my Parthia should have picked up the habit on occasions, possibly to replace population lost in the Muslim and Mongol invasions, but generally did not practice it.  Parthian merchants quite likely participated in the trade though.

Once the Enlightenment gets to Parthia and the 1848 revolution happens, it gets eliminated domestically, and then they eventually decide to shut down the practice on the East African coast - which the Brits did in 1870 (IFAIK), so I've basically volunteered for that role :)

Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on May 30, 2018, 09:28:02 AM
Can I not just post picture as attachments here? I really don't want to have to resurrect my Photobucket account.

Be nice to put them as attachments here.
I haven't deleted my photobucket since they changed the policy, but I did empty it of images.
I use.. Postimage.org,   there are other freebies out there too.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor