Introducing SSL Encryption

Started by Guinness, January 23, 2017, 01:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guinness

Browsers will imminently begin to complain about sites that take usernames and passwords over clear text, or in other words using HTTP instead of HTTTPS.

So I'm in the process of adding an SSL certificate, etc. to the site. Unfortunately I missed some small print somewhere, and in the process the webhost assigned the site a new IP address. This may not resolve everywhere for up to 24 hours now. I apologize for this: it wasn't my plan.

Walter

So is that the reason why I can no longer access the site with Firefox but I can access the site with the TOR browser?

Guinness

Firefox likely has the IP of the old site cached, or the Tor browser is using a different DNS server than the rest of your system.

Walter

I would assume that if that were the issue, going to 'clear recent history' and then select 'cache' and clear all that should solve it but that was the first thing I did when I got the 404 and noticed that I could still access the site with TOR. So it is probably something else.

Guinness

Name resolution for the Tor browser is actually done on the exit relay it's using for that session. So it uses a different DNS server than your local browser.

At any rate, the cached DNS record will time out almost everywhere in the next 3.5 hours. Only in isolated instances should it live longer than that.

Walter

Looking at my Firefox, it is an old version (I turned the auto update off some time a go after I had issues after an update where I could no longer do anything with Firefox and had to find an older version to get it to work again) so that might also be an issue. Who knows.

... but right now, according to Tor, I am an American. :D

Guinness

DNS caches for almost everyone should have expired by now. Today I'll be making a configuration change which will redirect all HTTP traffic to HTTPS.

Guinness

This is done. Please let me know if you see any issues.

snip

I now see a nice little Lock symbol in my address bar. Thank you for staying on top of this.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon