Main Menu

Anyone ever think about

Started by Tanthalas, August 25, 2014, 07:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

Building a ship that is horibly flawed... Just becasue it would look so damn cool, and be totaly Diferent from anything anyone else is building or likley would even consider.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

If the mods had given me more BPs, then I would probably unleash some weird (though not necessarily flawed) stuff now and then. Maybe something like the royal battleyacht sim I made some 9 years ago which had some crazy stuff aboard like two pools with marble decorations, King's Room, Queen's Room, Royal Bedroom, Royal Dining Room, Royal Study Room, Royal Throne Room, all with gold decorations, a drawbridge. a statue of the King and Queen, and guard towers on the superstructure.

Could do some weirder stuff like putting armor on the pools AA guns in the guard towers and stuff like that...

But in general, my opinion is:
Weird = cool Sub Zero
Flawed = uncool Seriously Uncool
:)

Tanthalas

I just keep playing aorund with stuff because I dont have any solid numbers to work with as yet (or even a country to draw a flag and map for :P).

Quote from: Walter on August 25, 2014, 08:53:48 PM
If the mods had given me more BPs, then I would probably unleash some weird (though not necessarily flawed) stuff now and then. Maybe something like the royal battleyacht sim I made some 9 years ago which had some crazy stuff aboard like two pools with marble decorations, King's Room, Queen's Room, Royal Bedroom, Royal Dining Room, Royal Study Room, Royal Throne Room, all with gold decorations, a drawbridge. a statue of the King and Queen, and guard towers on the superstructure.

Could do some weirder stuff like putting armor on the pools AA guns in the guard towers and stuff like that...

But in general, my opinion is:
Weird = cool Sub Zero
Flawed = uncool Seriously Uncool
:)
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Kaiser Kirk

I've toyed with the idea.
In real life, we see definite flawed concepts and designs. Tempting to emulate them. However, particularly as a smaller power, I don't want to waste too much.

Considering the "success" of the ram against the Italian Navy,
and the gap between that and the advent of QF shell firing guns,
I had until quite late in the process a cruiser that relied on a ram.
Ok that's not so unique.
and a fixed forward 10"/32 gun with limited elevation ability (inspired by the USN's dynamite gun...and spinal mounts, wave motion guns, etc)
Which I felt was pretty new.

Idea was this narrow target would charge, the forepart of the ship shielded by armor, lots of stacked casements for foreward fire.  It would bear down on the target - with battle ranges 2000-5000 yards, fairly safe until close.

Further, by leveling the 10" at the target and steering to ram, the aiming equation is simplified as your ship has no lateral movement, and the 10" can fire flat at the target and should impact the sides somewhere, or if you time the plunge of the bow, near the water line.

Flawed? Probably. Be curious to actually sim out a battle, it might work. Well until folks learned to stay away.

However, the class passed away due to need for BPs.
As did the planned battleship with A Q X...with Q being large howitzers for shore bombardment.

Other than that, since the 1890s saw shell firing guns as a major threat - and the Spainish American war saw several ships with significant onboard fires- I've trotted out the Wittelbach's double stacked casement ideas, stretched the hull, and fitted lots of medium guns. Which results in my newest battleships featuring a 10x 194mm broadside, while their predecessors and some cruisers have only 16 guns, for 8 each side. Not unique, but a little different than the Majestic par.

Flawed..not for the time period. Until battle ranges increase, casements are reasonable, eventually elevation limits will restrict engagement ranges. Certainly the weight would be better in another main battery turret...maybe. The culmulative DPs and critical chances of lots of medium shells may add up. A ship with a ventilated funnel looses speed, fires are distracting, etc.
At the very least they should be heck on attackers trying to close to torpedo range.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Jefgte

I had, KK, similar view & interrest about ram BB & coastgard BB.
France built some of them in the 1860 years.

http://dossiersmarine.free.fr/fs_b_B2.html

Evolution of that concept give for Navalism, with the rules & the BP limitation, the 2nd class BB.

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf