Shows to watch to get you into the Period

Started by Tanthalas, August 24, 2014, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

Everyone knows shows like Downton Abbey (which isnt bad for what it is) I was wondering if anyone had any others they had found.  I will start it off with a few I have found to be reasonable (and actualy good in some cases)

Crimson Field (BBC), ANZAC Girls (Australian), and Mr. Selfridge, The Paradise, & the VIllage (atleast what I have watched so far), all have a very good period feal to them.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Walter

Dramas... *looks around* ... there ain't no puke emoticon in the list...

... well, I watched The White Queen (and that one isn't really our period) but normally I do not watch drama series, period or regular ones. Maybe watching Blackadder Goes Forth might do the trick... or Dad's Army... well at least whenever Corporal Jones is talking about serving under General Kitchener in the Sudan and facing the Fuzzy Wuzzies; those events are around our current timeframe (Battle of Omdurman was in 1898)...

Tanthalas

Wait what happend to the Puke Emoti... I know we used to have one that was like Projectile Vomiting (and you note I said they weren't bad not that I in truth liked them...)

Quote from: Walter on August 24, 2014, 04:12:08 PM
Dramas... *looks around* ... there ain't no puke emoticon in the list...

... well, I watched The White Queen (and that one isn't really our period) but normally I do not watch drama series, period or regular ones. Maybe watching Blackadder Goes Forth might do the trick... or Dad's Army... well at least whenever Corporal Jones is talking about serving under General Kitchener in the Sudan and facing the Fuzzy Wuzzies; those events are around our current timeframe (Battle of Omdurman was in 1898)...
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Walter

Well you did say "reasonable (and actualy good in some cases)" so that is better than "not bad" and you actually like them. ;D

Tanthalas

I do like Selected Peices of some of them I will admit, taken as a whole though I view them more as research (or mind bending in some cases).  Now the Musketeers on the BBC I do actualy rather like... but well it is the 3 Musketeers (always hated that name though since there were actualy FOUR)

Quote from: Walter on August 24, 2014, 04:39:33 PM
Well you did say "reasonable (and actualy good in some cases)" so that is better than "not bad" and you actually like them. ;D
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Walter

QuoteI do like Selected Peices of some of them I will admit, taken as a whole though I view them more as research (or mind bending in some cases)
Mindbending? You sure you don't mean brainwashing? :)
QuoteNow the Musketeers on the BBC I do actualy rather like... but well it is the 3 Musketeers (always hated that name though since there were actualy FOUR)
Well, it is 3 Musketeers. That fourth dude is just a wannabe. ;D

Looking at wiki, I do see some others in the drama categories that I have seen like Doctor Who, the Star Trek series, the X-files, Miami Vice... but I find that a bit questionable (but that is to be expected from wiki).

Tanthalas

I have noticed in the past that a great deal of Sci Fi is listed as Drama for some reason... Course some stuff is listed as Sci Fi where I go "WTH HOW" (like that realy bad tean drama set in Camalot, or that Taintlight stuff)

Quote from: Walter on August 24, 2014, 05:10:11 PM
QuoteI do like Selected Peices of some of them I will admit, taken as a whole though I view them more as research (or mind bending in some cases)
Mindbending? You sure you don't mean brainwashing? :)
QuoteNow the Musketeers on the BBC I do actualy rather like... but well it is the 3 Musketeers (always hated that name though since there were actualy FOUR)
Well, it is 3 Musketeers. That fourth dude is just a wannabe. ;D

Looking at wiki, I do see some others in the drama categories that I have seen like Doctor Who, the Star Trek series, the X-files, Miami Vice... but I find that a bit questionable (but that is to be expected from wiki).
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Kaiser Kirk

I really know little about how Italy was like then.
I'll just have to fake it, you can call me an impasta if you want.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Tanthalas

The Irony is this was my period of Focus as a History Major LOL so I know quite a bit about alot (mostly England and the US though)

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 24, 2014, 06:17:22 PM
I really know little about how Italy was like then.
I'll just have to fake it, you can call me an impasta if you want.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Kaiser Kirk

Well you certainly have a big leg up on it.
I've read a couple books on Teddy, watched the Age of Innocence, read the standard US history of the period, looking a fair bit into Belgian Congo history from this time....thats about it for that period. I'm a bit better at US Civil War, military history in general, high middle ages, and Rome. Read books on the Russian and Austrian empires :)
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Guinness

The Local PBS station here was airing all four parts of the PBS Queen Victoria documentary yesterday. Sadly I missed most of it.

Walter

Quotelike that realy bad tean drama set in Camalot, or that Taintlight stuff
Don't know them, but it sounds to me like it is a good thing that I do not know them.
QuoteThe Local PBS station here was airing all four parts of the PBS Queen Victoria documentary yesterday. Sadly I missed most of it.
Well if it has been broadcasted, then there is a good chance you can find it on the internet. There are a bunch of Japanese shows that I watch which I get from Youtube, Dailymotion, Youku, etc.

Guinness

Yeah, but I want to watch it on my 234 cm projector screen and have it not look like garbage. ;-)

Walter

Sometimes you have to make sacrifices. Yes, I would love to have a good version of shows, but if they are not available, then I will settle for a lesser version of it. From one show I got numerous segments that are 320x240, but at least I can watch the silliness that is going on.