Main Menu

Ottoman News, 1900 onward

Started by The Rock Doctor, August 12, 2014, 07:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

5 January 1900

Construction has begun on two large dams along the Nile River, with a ceremonial first shovel of dirt being excavated by none other than the Sultan himself. 

The Nile is the lifeblood of Egypt, providing a narrow strip of fertile land amidst the desert of North Africa.  Yet while millions depend on it for water, food, and hygiene, it can all too often cause harm when flood waters surge downstream.  The dams at Asyut, approximately 500 km upriver from Cairo, and Aswan, 1000 km upriver of Cairo, will not only allow authorities to control river level, it wll also enable the storage of floodwaters until its release during the dry season, when farmers most need it for irrigation.

Though both dams will include sets of locks for boat navigation, the Aswan Dam will also have the effect of drowning the First Cataract under its reservoir, allowing year-round navigation through what is currently a treacherous stretch of water.

The dams are expected to be completed in 1904.

Kaiser Kirk

What did the salmon say when he hit concrete?
Dam!
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

The Rock Doctor

June 29, 1900

Ajri Nur Pasha listened as the aide ran through a long list of border incursions, and finally cut him off with a wave of his hand.  "To summarize, our troops have exchanged fire with Austrian troops nominally allied to our German friends, yes?"

"Yes, Pasha," the aide confirmed.

"And we have interned two thousand Hungarian troops on our territory?"

"Yes, Pasha."

"Along with several thousand civilians, with more likely on the way?"

"Yes, Pasha."

Nur frowned.  "You should give thanks that the execution of those bearing bad news is long obsolete," he said to the aide, who paled.  Glancing to his right, he said to the Minister of War, "I take it we do not have the border sealed off."

Ali Omurtak shook his head.  "Instructions have been sent, but they aren't being vigourously applied.  I'm not yet clear whether the problem lies at the army, corps, or division level, but I've advised First Army HQ that heads will be rolling soon."

"As they should.  The Sultan is quite concerned about the situation in general," Nur said.  "While nobody in this room is likely to shed a tear for Austria-Hungary, the fact remains that the situation is dangerous on multiple levels.  Most obvious is the potential for Germany, Italy, and Russia to come to blows and trigger a larger conflict; our friendship with the Germans could pull us in, thereby requiring us to fight the Russians as well.  That's without considering the new risk of further unpleasantries with the Austrians."

"Less obvious, but perhaps more dangerous, is the rise of ethnic nationalism in Austria-Hungary," the Pasha observed.  "It only takes one Bosniak or Serb to get the wrong idea from any one of those thousands of Hungarian refugees or some errant Czech or Slovak and suddenly we might find ourselves grappling with the kind of uprisings that weakened us so profoundly when I was young.  Add that on top of the potential for regular warfare and it spells disaster."

"Ideally, somebody would organize a conference and the matter could be negotiated to a satisfactory conclusion," Sefik Efendi, the Minister of State, noted.  "However, there appears to be little interest in this thus far from Britain or France."

"I think we may have to step up and issue an invitation ourselves," the Pasha said.  "Put forth inquiries at once.  Let us see if we can bring two sides and other interested parties here to Constantinople before the end of July."

The Rock Doctor

July 16, 1900

To:  His Excellency, Menelik II, Emperor of Ethiopia
Date:  16 July 1900

Excellency,

Twenty-five years ago, in the waning days of his reign, my predecessor Abdulaziz authorized an ill-advised invasion of your lands.  The army of Ethiopia, fighting valiantly in defence of its homeland, defeated this expedition.

Since that time, our empires have maintained minimal relations whilst watching European outsiders dispatch explorers and traders to our region.  It is my view that the Europeans will, in time, seek to divide and subjugate Africa, taking control of its resources to fill the coffers of their distant banks.

With that in mind, I wish to propose greater cooperation between our two great empires, in the form of an economic joint venture that will benefit us both. 

The first phase of this venture would be the construction of a single-track rail line from the port town of Massawa to your capital Addis Abeba.  The railway would facilitate Ethiopian agricultural exports as well as import of foreign-produced goods.  While Ethiopia benefited from taxes on exports and tariffs on imports, the Ottoman government would benefit from taxes on shipping charges and customs fees.  We estimate that a rail line commenced in 1901 could be completed as soon as 1905.

The second phase of the venture would be construction of a dam or dams along the Awash River.  As you may be aware, we have commenced construction of two great dams along the mighty Nile to improve navigation and create reservoirs for use in agriculture.  A similar dam would allow for creation of an irrigation system for Ethiopian farmers and, perhaps, a small fishing industry.  This would be of potentially life-saving benefit to the Ethiopian people if drought threatened another famine such as that between 1888 and 1892.  Such a dam, initiated in 1906, might be completed in 1910

A possible third phase of the venture might contemplate installation of a hydroelectric generator at the dam(s), with transmission lines to Addis Abeba and Massawa.  Though such a project seems quite ambitious at present, my officials have expressed confidence that this might be economical after 1910.

I await your response with great interest and have made my officials available to yours for discussions.

Sincerely,

Murad

OOC Notes:

-While the Ottomans do not (yet) have a military port at Massawa, I'm assuming the place retains some of its historical relevance as a commercial port.

-This would not likely be known IC by other nations until any deal might actually be formalized and announced, though they could find out through sneaky means.

-The proposal, in OOC terms, is that the Ottomans chip in $5 ($0.50 per HY) for an Ethiopian IC between 1901 and 1905, and then the same amount for a second in 1906 to 1910.  The Ethiopians would chip in the other half; I assume their economy can afford that.  The two governments would split the earnings of those IC on a 50/50 ratio. 

-A Mod-puppeted Ethiopian response is requested at their convenience.

The Rock Doctor

August 3, 1900

QuoteTo:  Government of Portugal; Government of Mexico; Government of Peru; Government of Argentina; Government of Brazil

Dear Sirs,

With the impending entry into service of the battleship Abdulaziz, the Ottoman Navy is in a position to render surplus multiple units of the Osman I class. 

These coastal defence battleships are barely ten years old, and have been designed by some of the world's pre-eminent naval architects in Germany.  Mounting no less than three 24cm guns, they possess considerable firepower for their size, and their secondary battery of 8.8cm guns provides robust protection against torpedo boats. 

It is our view that these vessels will make fine yet economic acquisitions for young, growing navies, such as your own, which must be mindful of overall cost and maintenance considerations.  The ships' size permits basing and repair in even modest harbours, and their machinery is well-understood and maintained. 

Should you be interested in acquiring one or more of the class, please contact the nearest Ottoman embassy.  We would be pleased to arrange a tour of a representative member of the class.  Recognizing that budgets can be limited, we are open to a range of purchase options that meet our mutual needs.

Should you be interested in other naval needs, we can consider the transfer of Constantinople class protected cruisers or contract the construction of new torpedo-boats.

Best regards...

The Rock Doctor

July 18, 1900

"I assume they would tell us if we were being attacked," Lieutenant Gencer mused as a long line of British and French warships followed a single Ottoman protected cruiser into the Dardanelles.

"Yes, I think that's a reasonable assumption, sir," Sergeant Manco replied from beside him. 

"You have to admit, it's a lot of ships to transport a few people to a meeting.  Three battleships, six cruisers, nine torpedo-boats..."

"Ten, sir.  There's another on the far side of the first Frenchie," Manco observed.

"Ten, then.   Is it just a show of force, then?"

Manco nodded.  "Probably, sir.  Impress upon our German friends that they're serious about whatever it is they have to say."

"And if things go askew, then they have a go at the Germans?"

"The whole point of the conference is to avoid a clusterfuck of that variety, sir,"Manco said.  "Besides which, I don't believe there are any German warships at Constantinople."

Gencer looked back at the guns of Fortress Seddulbahir, which included eight German-manufactured 28 cm cannons.  "Well, it's an impressive sight.  Almost makes you want to see what would happen if we were shooting at each other..."

"With all due respect, Sir - no, it wouldn't."

Gencer frowned and shook his head.  "You disappoint me, Sergeant.  Where's your fighting spirit, your elan?  What would the Sultan say, do you think, upon hearing that one of his gunners did not wish to use his weapon?"

"I can't predict the specifics, sir," Manco replied, "But given that he's hosting the peace conference, perhaps he'd promote me to colonel and give me run of the imperial harem for a week."

*Arbitrary date to establish when things are happening.  Can be changed if necessary.

The Rock Doctor

September 14, 1900

"So disaster has been averted," Ajri Nur Pasha ruminated, "Austria-Hungary is no more, Germany is larger, Italy mildly larger, and we have a tiny new neighbour to our North.   We have avoided a major war, though it seems our German friends have ensured that the British will back the French and Russians should one happen in the future."

"And that's most unfortunate, as it would place us in a highly awkward position," the Minister of War, Ali Omurtak, said. 

"The Germans are very headstrong.  Feeling their oats, as the expression goes," Minister of State Sefik Efendi said.

"Their acquiesance to the Austrian dismissal of our taking on Carniola was telling," the Pasha said.

"Very much so.  I remain concerned that the European powers will make efforts to strip the Balkans away from our rule," Efendi agreed.  "Never mind that their Christian rule has been established over Muslims and various infidel groups further abroad.  There is a double-standard at play."

"Rumelia comprises a third of our population and a quarter of our economic strength," noted the Minister of Commerce, Serkan Candemir.  "The loss of such territory would be crippling."

"In my view - and, I believe, that of the Sultan - we will, at some point, lose Serbia," the Pasha stated.  "They nearly broke free once.  They chafe under our rule now.   But our position elsewhere in the peninsula is perhaps not so perilous.  There can be little doubt after this conference that the other major powers are self-serving.  The meaty bits of broken empires will be greedily consumed by the major powers, while the grist is left to fester alone.  While it may not stop Serbian nationalists from trying to break loose, it should give the sentimentalists in Bosnia-Herecegovina pause."

"Should," Efendi echoed.

"Yes, that's the key word, I know," the Pasha agreed.  "Nonetheless, we have seen barely any discontent in the Balkans in the past two decades.  It is perhaps the most peaceful period the region has enjoyed in some time."

"I don't sense we're here to rest on our laurels," Omurtak said. 

"No.  We're merely setting the stage.  The Sultan has inquired into possibilities for expanding our influence, and so I want to hear your views."

The ministers glanced at each other.

"Well," Efendi said, "Let's consider our lost territories.  Given the general view that we are not to rule Christians, it seems unlikely we could make a successful effort to bring Greece back under our control."

"Why would we want them?" Omurtak asked.

"There's that too, of course," Efendi agreed.  "And I think it's safe to say that we have no hope of regaining lands lost to Russia."

"Agreed," Omurtak said.  "Very strongly agreed."

"There's Persia," Candemir said. 

"Shiites," Omurtak noted.

"I'd be more concerned about a possible collision of British and Russian interests there," Efendi said.   "It's an obvious outlet for Russian expansionism, while the British will want a buffer for India."

"That wold seem to leave just Africa," the Pasha suggested.  "Now, we have made enquiries to Ethiopia, thus far unanswered of course."

"That's not a conquest, though," Omurtak said.

"No, we're simply trying to put them in our orbit," Efendi confirmed.  "Make them dependent on our investments so they don't interfere with our activities elsewhere."

"Okay, do we have a map?" Candemir asked.  He looked about and a couple of aides sprang into motion.  Soon they had a colorful sheet of paper spread out on the table.

"We can move to take southern Cyraenica," Efendi said.  "There's hardly anybody there so resistence should be minimal.  Of course, there's hardly anything of value there, either."

"That would seem to be the general problem with that portion of Africa we border," the Pasha said.

"Certainly a lot of desert," Omurtak agreed.  "Hard to live there, let alone build any sort of civilization out of it."

"We would have to follow the water," Koray Aksu, the Minister of the Interior, spoke for the first time, startling his colleagues.

"Eh?" Efendi asked.

"Water's the lifeblood of Africa.  Control it and we control those who rely on it," Aksu said.  "I'd push up the Nile."

"As it stands our expansion has stopped at the edge of what seems to be an endless swamp," Candemir said.

"But beyond that is at least one large lake, the one that British explorer named for Victoria," Aksu said.  "They say it's the source of the Nile.  If that's true, can we risk having it fall into another power's control?"

"Who controls it now?" the Pasha asked.

"Nobody.  Well, nobody important," Efendi clarified.  "The Sultan of Zanzibar claims much of the coast to the east, though."

"Hmm," Omurtak muttered.

"Indeed," the Pasha said.

The Rock Doctor

November 15, 1900:  Rabak, Sudan

"Hmm," Colonel Fatih Asik grunted as he turned slowly and took in the view.  "Rabak isn't quite the shithole that I anticipated it to be."

"It's actually a relatively important town," Colonel Elif Safak replied.  "Some local sugar and calcite production, and there are roads...well, trails...running to the east and west.  Anyway, welcome."

"Thank you," Asik said.  "I understand you've been here for several months now?"

"Since March."

"Family?"

"Back in Trabzon."

Asik nodded.  "You're a long way from home, Colonel."

"As far as I can be without leaving the country," Safak agreed.  "So what brings you all the way out here?  We tend not to get many visitors from Division HQ."

"Well, as luck would have it, we have orders to start moving upriver.  My men and I are here to start getting the place organized."

"What exactly does upriver mean?  And organized for what?"

Asik grinned.  "Lake Victoria."

Safak stared at him.  "You can't be serious."

"I'm afraid so.   Apparently Constantinople has decided we're to claim the whole river, and to do that, we need to take possession."

Safak said, "But it'll take...well, a year or two to reach that lake.  Hardly anybody's been there."

"It's to be a measured process.  Some of the navy's gunboats will ferry the expedition up to a place called Malakal.  We'll set up a depot and some of the smaller boats will attempt to chart the river's course through that big swamp."

"The Sudd?  No, can't be done.  It's huge.  A hundred miles or more long, I hear."

"No expectation it'll happen quickly.  We'll hire some of the locals as guides.  Meanwhile, an overland expedition will be dispatched south towards a settlement called...Gondokoro?"

Safak nodded.  "I've heard of it.  Depending on who you ask, it's three to four hundred miles further south of Malakal.  How big is the expedition?"

"Three battalions to hold here as a reserve; one to occupy Malakal and vicinity; and a fifth for the expedition itself.  We're not going in with guns blazing.  There'll be some diplomats coming down from Cairo to buy off and treat with the locals.  They recognize the Sultan's suzerainty, they get some gifts and a stipend. We establish a few forts along the route.  It'll be time-consuming, but how difficult can it be?" Asik asked.  "Don't answer that."

The Rock Doctor

December 4, 1900:  Santiago, Chile

"Have I got a deal for you!" blurted Ekram Aksoy.  The Ottoman businessman - and consul to the Government of Chile - grabbed the arms of his chair and pulled it forward, right to the edge of the desk that dominated the office.

On the other side of that desk, the Chilean Minister of Defence raised his eyebrows.  "How is that?"

"My government is deleting battleships from its inventory.  Five of them.  No, that's not right.  Six of them.  And some of those battleships could be yours."

"Ah, yes..." the Chilean said.  "My aide mentioned that."

"And good on him for doing so," Aksoy proclaimed.  "You see, Minister, these are still capable ships with a lot of life left in them.  Some of them aren't even a decade old at this point."

"Why get rid of them?"

"Good question, Minister.  The answer to that, I believe, is a matter of budgets.  The Navy is building new battleships, but they're so much larger that the additional cost is eating into their ability to operate the existing battleships."

"Why not sell us the larger battleships, then, and save more money?" the Chilean snickered.

Aksoy grinned.  "I'm sure we could arrange to construct some for you if you were so inclined; but we do have the problem of some troublesome neighbours with their own large battleships to consider."

"Perhaps, perhaps.  So tell me about the ships."

"They displace four thousand tonnes, and carry three twenty-four centimeter guns as the main battery.  They are capable of a most respectable fourteen knots and are considered to be quite seaworthy."

"You realize that our own Capitan Prat carries four twenty-four centimeter guns and can make eighteen knots?" 

Aksoy nodded.  "I am, and I admit the Prat is a most admirable design.  However - it is likely fair to say that you can not acquire six more Prats in the next year.  You can, however, acquire that many Osman I class ships.  This might be useful to Chile as you deal with troublesome neighbours of your own."

"The arms race with Argentina is something to consider, but there remains the possibility of that being concluded with an agreement of some nature," the Chilean observed.

"True, and that would be lovely," Aksoy agreed.  "On the other hand, I know that my counterpart in Buenos Aires has been approached about this class, so the Argentines may be thinking somewhat differently..."

The Rock Doctor

January 4, 1901

QuoteThe Navy's new submarine has successfully completed its first dive.

The S-1 undertook the twenty-five minute test off the Egyptian coast yesterday morning.  While a pair of patrol boats ensured that civilian traffic kept well clear of the dive site, observers on gunboat Karabak took photographs and the salvage tug #15 stood by in case of technical issues.

Speaking to reporters aboard the Karabak later in the afternoon, the head of the submarine program, Captain Tuba Sen observed, "The crew was, understandably, mildly nervous, as all their previous experience in naval matters has been to avoid sinking, rather than do so intentionally.  But they performed well, the boat operated as expected, and Lieutenant-Commander Yigit reports they are ready to undertake longer dives as trials progress."

A second boat, S-2 has also been constructed and will conduct its own first dive next week.  The two boats will serve as training units, with Captain Sen noting, "We have a great deal of faith that submarines have a vital role to play in the defence of our harbors and natural choke points along our sea lanes.  The admiralty has authorized the construction of larger boats starting later this year, and so our focus now is to train men to operate them safely and effectively."

Walter

The Rock Doctor

January 15, 1901

The little dock at Malakal had been built to receive the small river steamers that traders ran up the White Nile from Khartoum every few weeks.  While the local population had gotten used to the sight of those boats, the arrival of the R-19 nonetheless drew a sizeable crowd.  Belching black smoke from her two funnels, the Ottoman Navy vessel was easily twice as long and probably ten times the displacement of the usual traffic at this southern outpost of the Empire.

The big riverboat approached the dock slowly and cautiously.  The water wasn't deep enough to pull up alongside the dock, but tying up against the end, perpendicular to the structure, would work.  It just required some finesse on the captain's part to ensure the twelve foot wide dock lined up with the boat's gangway.  After some cursing and a couple of over-shoots - corrected soon enough by the current - lines were tossed ashore and men scrambled to secure the boat in place.

The gangway came down and the boat's human cargo, a company of Ottoman soldiers, formed a chain and started ferrying haversacks and large canvas bags from boat to dock under the eye of their second in command.  On the boat's port side, facing away from the dock, a couple of hands began lowering a rowboat into the water.  From the boat's bridge, the boat's captain and the company commander watched the operation unfold.

"So I've talked to the boys and they understand they report to you until I come back," the sailor said.  "They'll be focusing on looking for underwater obstacles first, then doing some basic bathymetry after that.  I don't think they'll need your help, but if they do find something offshore - a sunken log or whatever - they might call upon you."

"That's fine, we'll do what's necessary," the soldier said.  "Key for us is to set up the advanced camp, then I guess we're getting some pontoons on the next boat?"

"Yeah, R-22's got a couple plus a section of engineers from your headquarters.  Whether they just extend the dock out or add them laterally will depend on what the water depths are.  Either way, shouldn't be much work for you.  The boat'll just use its crane to put the pontoons in position.  It's when I get back here again that things get busy for you."

The soldier nodded.  Two days down to Khartoum, one to load, another three days to return - R-19 would be back here with two hundred tonnes of provisions in just six days.  "Oh, we'll be busy before then.  Lot of tents to put up.  But thanks for the ride, and have a safe trip back."

The Rock Doctor

12 February 1901:  ~550 km SSE of Benghazi

Awjila had never been particularly busy; every two or three years, a caravan of a few hundred camels would come up from Kufra or down from Benghazi, but that was it.  The rest of the time, the 1,500 or so inhabitants would tend to their gardens - particularly their date palms, still well-regarded on the coast for their quality.

It came, then, as a surprise when dust clouds to the east signaled the impending arrival of a number of riders.  Word eventually came back from scouts sent to investigate:  Turkish cavalry, two hundred or so.  Armed, but not actively hostile.

"Gather the men," the tribal leader directed.  "We will be prepared to defend ourselves, but first let us see what they want."  With that, he slung his musket over a shoulder and mounted his camel.

The Berbers and the Ottomans met on the grassy edge of the oasis.  Some four hundred Berber men and boys, on camel and on foot, with muskets and a few old rifles, faced off against two hundred Ottoman horsemen, virtually all equipped with rifles.  Another two hundred or so animals trailed behind the Ottomans, many laden with packages of some sort.

One of the few unarmed Ottomans slid off his horse, stretched his legs, and began walking towards the Berbers.  He stopped short of their line and, in passable Berber, announced, "Greetings!  On behalf of His Excellency, Murad V, I wish to convey a proposal of great interest to your leader.  May I approach?"

The Berbers' eyes turned toward their leader, who was briefly doing some mental mathematics.  The Ottomans - or, rather, their Egyptian lackeys - had briefly asserted control of the area when he was a youth, but they'd hardly been around since.  Last he'd heard of them, they were marching up the Nile, putting down some prophet-wannabe.  "You may," he said.

The Ottoman walked up to his camel and bowed.  "Excellency, I am Hakan Arsoy, representing the Sultan.  He has sent me with gifts and a most generous offer.

"Gifts?" the leader repeated.

"Quite," Arsoy confirmed.  "Not all of those horses bear our supplies."

The leader looked at the animals once again, then at the hungry eyes of his men.  "Very well; you will be welcome here as guest for seven days while we discuss the Sultan's proposal..."

The Rock Doctor

March 5, 1901

QuoteTo:  Admiral D. Babacan, Commander in Chief

Sir,

As requested, here is a summary of options for new armored cruiser designs for the 1903 program.

Our designs fixed a number of parameters, including the secondary battery (8x15cm), the protection (15cm belt, 5cm deck) and range (4,400nm with 10% oil spray).  This left the main battery and the maximum speed as the primary variables in the design.

The main battery has been designated as a 21cm piece measuring 45 calibers, currently under development.   The gun would likely enjoy a modest advantage in rate of fire over the Italian 24cm gun but would obviously throw a lighter projectile.  It would be in all respects equal to or better than the 20.3cm model being fielded on the latest Russian designs we know of.   This cruiser would be the first ship to field it, so teething issues might be expected.

We investigated options for two twin turrets or three, with the third turret in the "Q" position amidships akin to the Mahmud class battleships. On average, jumping from four guns to six caused a net weight increase of eight hundred tonnes displacement - one must factor in additional length, protection, and machinery when adding the turret itself.

With respect to speed, we considered a base of 21 knots and a maximum of 22 knots.  This is the range seen in current Italian and Russian types, and is the highest economic speed we can hope for with the current generation of machinery.  Additional speed is possible, but hull costs rise significantly.   In our models, the one-knot jump in either the four or six gun models added an average of 1,200 tonnes displacement. 

Deferral of the new cruiser to ~1905 may allow for newer, lighter machinery allowing an additional knot or so of speed.  At present, our modelling suggests that, with speed remaining constant, displacement and cost reductions of around 4% are possible with the expected next generation of reciprocating engines.  I do not offer any recommendation as to the value of this saving compared to the cost of waiting an additional two years for construction.

Consequently, our four models are:

-As a minimum with four guns and 21 knots, light displacement is 9,300 t
-With six guns and 21 knots, light displacement is 10,000 t
-With four guns and 22 knots, light displacement is 10,400 t
-As a maximum case of six guns and 22 knots, light displacement is 11,400 t

In terms of construction requirements, all designs would require use of Type 2 facilities; even a much more economic design would have this requirement.  Construction of a third unit could only commence a full year after the first has been laid down at either Constantinople or Iskendurun.  Unit cost over a construction period of two full years would require around $2.50 and 2,500 t steel per half-year, or around one quarter of the navy's capital budget.  This is practical for two or three units, allowing some other activity to take place in addition to the cruiser program.

Should you have any comments or questions, I am available to answer them at your convenience.

The Rock Doctor

April 14, 1901:  Southeast of Malakal, Sudan

"I'm not looking for anything specific - just whatever specialty goods have trickled in from the interior," Abdus Aberra explained as the small caravan - really two smaller caravans traveling together - plodded ever-closer to its destination.  "If there's nothing of interest, I'll probably load up on mangos or papaya."

Mulatu Bekele nodded.  "Then we won't be in conflict.  My employer is seeking to purchase gum Arabic."

"There's usually some available," Aberra said.  "Of course, you may find yourself with competition."

"I would be surprised if there wasn't an Egyptian or two, but that shouldn't be a problem.  My master intends to convey his wares out to the Somali coast where some passing Europeans might be induced to purchase at a premium."

"Ah," Aberra grunted, and then they both looked up as the joint caravan's trailblazer trotted into view. 

"Problem?" Bekele called out.

"Riders!" the scout shouted in response, "Dozens!"

Aberra glanced back at the caravan; there were twenty-seven men and boys working for he and Bekele.  If this was a band of roving bandits - not unknown in these parts - they were in trouble.  "I suggest we put up a good show and try to bribe our way out of this."

Bekele nodded and whistled.  The caravan rumbled to a halt, the men went for their rifles, and the boys herding the draft animals back up trail a bit.

As the scout drew even with the two traders, Aberra asked, "Dinka?  Nuer?  Who're we looking at?"

The scout shook his head.  "Outsiders, in uniform.  At a guess, Turks.  These are soldiers, not bandits."

"I didn't think we were in their territory yet," Bekele mused.

"We're not," the scout said.  "The border is another day to the north."

"Then what are they doing here?" Bekele asked.  "Are they lost?"

The first cavalry appeared up the trail at that point.  There were at least twenty on the trail itself, and as those riders reined in their horses, others appeared in the bush around them.

"Do Ottoman soldiers go into business for themselves?" Bekele muttered.

"Usually not," Aberra replied softly.

"I hope one of them speaks Amharic," Bekele said.

"It's fine - I speak Arabic reasonably well.  Some of them, at least, have to as well"  Switching languages, Aberra called out, "Good morning, sirs!"

"Good morning," one of the lead cavalrymen replied after a moment. 

"How can we help you this fine day?  We don't usually see gentlemen such as yourselves this far south."

The soldier replied, "I suppose not.  Are you local to the area?"

"No, sir.  We have come from the east to trade."

"Oh, you're Abyssinian, then."

"Indeed, sir," Aberra replied, "Is there a problem ahead that we should be aware of?"

"No, no, not at all," the Turk said.  "We're just scouting the area."

Aberra glanced at the scout, who spoke enough Arabic to follow along, and then inquired, "Why?"

"Mapping the frontier, meeting the locals, that sort of thing," the Turk answered.  "This is Ottoman territory now.  The Sultan has claimed it.  Or will be claiming it shortly, anyway."

"He has?"

The Turk nodded. 

Aberra said, "I was unaware of that.  What territory has he claimed?"

"Those lands west of Lake Turkana and a line extending from the southernmost point of the lake to the northeast limit of Lake Victoria," the Ottoman said.

Aberra leaned back in his saddle.  "Well..." he said.  The Turk had recited the line as if he'd memorized it, but did he understand just how vast an area he was talking about?  It was a tract as large as Abyssinia itself.  "Okay...so...do you want us to turn around, then?"

The Ottoman waved a hand dismissively.  "No, no.  You're welcome to continue your business.  If you happen to meet anybody that isn't aware of what's happening, let them know too.

Aberra nodded slowly.  "We...will do that." 

April 25, 1901

QuoteTo:  European, American, and Asian heads of state, the Emperor of Ethiopia, the Sultan of Zanzibar

Sir/Madam,

As you are no doubt aware, the Nile River is the lifeblood of Egypt and Sudan, key areas of the Ottoman Empire.  The Nile provides the water necessary for drinking, for cleaning, for growth of crops and sustenance of livestock.  Without the Nile, all of Egypt and Sudan are put at risk.

I have, therefore, carefully considered how best to address the issue of the Nile, and believe that it is in the best interests of the Ottoman Empire and the world at large that the Ottoman Empire establish sovereignty over all that part of the Nile watershed not currently recognized as lying within Ottoman or Ethiopian borders.  In doing so, we will ensure peace and stability within the empire, and spread the word of Allah to those Africans not yet enlightened by His divine words. 

Already my loyal soldiers and trusted diplomats are moving to contact and negotiate a new relationship between the Ottoman Empire and the tribes of the southernmost Sudan.  Over the coming months, they will continue to Lake Turkana, Lake Victoria, and the other Great Lakes.  In doing so, I have issued most careful instructions that they are not to interfere with the legitimate business activities of traders and explorers from nations such as your own. Indeed, we welcome their assistance in bringing civilization to this distant portion of the world.

Your obedient servant, etc., etc.,

Murad V

OOC:  "Nile watershed" somewhat intentionally vague.
OOC:  Some effort made to reflect racial attitudes of the time without getting too obnoxious.