Main Menu

1900 techs

Started by Darman, July 26, 2014, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darman

Do we want to have a list of technologies that everyone is choosing as their 1900 tech?

Logi

If there are no objections to doing so, I'll post such a list.

Darman

I have no objections

Kaiser Kirk

I'm very objectionable....but I have none regarding this 8p
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Logi

Italy ---------------- 1900 Armor
Russia ------------- 1900 Reserves
United States ---- 1900 Subs
Japan -------------- 1900 Cruisers
China -------------- 1900 Signals/Intelligence
Ottoman ---------- 1900 Subs
Great Britain ----- 1900 Mine Warfare
Germany ---------- 1900 Reserves

Missing:
France

Logi

United Kingdom has been added to the list

miketr

Logi

It has been done. I believe the only one left is Jeftge, so he'll have to do that when he gets back.

Walter

Poor Underway Recoaling. There is no love for that tech... :'(

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Walter on July 27, 2014, 05:44:14 PM
Poor Underway Recoaling. There is no love for that tech... :'(

Oh, if it fell in my lap I'd take it...but currently I have little need. China on the other hand could use it to refuel raiders in the deep Pacific, allowing her to sever the supply lines of her neighbors...

I find the wording of the 1906 one intriguing. "Oil-firing boilers: Allows bunkers with larger than 10% percentage for oil"...which by extension means we can use 10% oil fired prior to that (oil-sprayed coal)...to much work to go redo all my designs...

Logi

I didn't feel like Japan would have the naval tradition that necessitated an advantage in the form of underway re-coaling. It's been only a year or two since Japan gained the Philippines and the deep Pacific islands, as such it's pretty unlikely that the Navy has completely wrapped it's head around it's new responsibilities and requirements.

I would have guessed either the UK, France, or Russia would have taken it.

Walter

QuoteChina on the other hand could use it to refuel raiders in the deep Pacific, allowing her to sever the supply lines of her neighbors...
What raiders? What supply lines? what neighbours? Oh... those neighbours...
QuoteI find the wording of the 1906 one intriguing. "Oil-firing boilers: Allows bunkers with larger than 10% percentage for oil"...which by extension means we can use 10% oil fired prior to that (oil-sprayed coal)...to much work to go redo all my designs...
Actually doing a test, when you have pre 1898 ships and thus need 1890 engines it will give a warning that it is too early for oil firing boilers so the 10% option should only be available between 1898 and 1907/8.

Doing a further test, I guess you need a ship that carries a reasonable amount of fuel to make the change worth it. With my fairly short ranged vessels, I only gain about 0.01 hull strength so it really isn't worth it to go back and resim a few ships in order to get the 10% oil option in there.

Kaiser Kirk

Tried it in the Regina Margherita class, which has 9,000 @10kts. got the 0.1, which translated to 100 tons misc weight, light tonnage went up 65, so overall cost would lower 35... big whoop. I really expected more.

Tanthalas

hmmmm would be a tough choice for the Netherlands.... make all my light cruisers instantly Scrap bait (unless I can use the tech pre 1900), get the 11/45, or get KC (and not have to worry about armour for a loooong time)... oh well supose I will go back to dreamsheating my military (if I got my numbers anywhere close on my guesse im about ready to start posting stuff... granted I would have to have you know FORUMS for that.) :o
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

The Rock Doctor

Reserves might be a good one for you, give that you'll have to maintain decent-sized armies in two widely separated areas...