NPC & Player Nation Status

Started by ledeper, April 30, 2014, 05:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

QuoteThe little dabs of land at the edges of the map are not terribly consequential. I think France and Britain's holdings are far more substantive.
They are footholds on the continent (not really in case of Spain, but it is still has a good point to start from) so they can spread their influence from those points as well as increasing their territorial possessions although Britain and France are in a better position to do that.
QuoteFor my part, I was viewing the orangish bits in Liberia and Ghana as independent states rather than Dutch, much like the states near South Africa.
I'm pretty sure that the Ghana bit is the Dutch Gold Coast. Historically it was British in 1900 so it should be red but it is not. It is orange and therefore has to be Dutch. Definitely not independent.

Not sure what is going on with Liberia. Historically it was independent but on the map it is orange and not the whole of Liberia is colored (if it was Liberia the three sectors above it would have been part of it as well but they are not).

Kaiser Kirk

I grant that the islands make nice starting points and safe depots. I looked at that when considering Spain.

As for Dutch Ghana, you may be right, be puzzling why it was removed from Britain and restored to the Dutch. Neither that nor Liberia are explained in the POD descriptions, which is why I figured they were independent bits, like the Transvaal.

Well, we will find out anon.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Tanthalas

Revisions to Dutch and Belgian history post 1875 to provide for Unification Circa 1900

1887 Revision of the Nassau Family Pact by William III of The Netherlands to allow for female Heirs (Essentially the 1907 revision 20 years early) allowing Wilhelmina to take both the Dutch throne and become Grand Dutchess of Luxembourg.

1890 King William III dies on 23 November (per OTL).  Wilhelmina ascends to both the Dutch throne and is Named Grand Dutchess of Luxembourg, her Mother is apointed Regent.

1895 Philippe of Belgium Commits Suicide on 17 November, making his son Albert Heir Primus of Belgium

1898 Wilhelmina Queen of the Netherlands weds Albert I of Belgium Heir Primus to the Throne of Belgium

1899 Leopold II assaniated by Italian anarchist Gennaro Rubino on the 15th of November.  Albert I ascends to the Throne of Belgium (6 years Earlier than OTL)

1900 Albert I of Belgium and Wilhelmia of The Netherlands are haild as Co Monarchs of a Unified Netherlands on January 1st

and there you have it my alternate timeline for unification of the Low Countries in 1900 Unified Constitution to follow if aproved.  Honestly the only waves this buterfly makes are in the Low Countries, so there would be no reason for anyone else to have to even take notice.  Thankyou again to Kaiser Kirk for pushing me in this Direction.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Tanthalas on August 23, 2014, 07:40:05 PM
1899 Leopold II assassinated by Italian anarchist Gennaro Rubino on the 15th of
November.  Albert I ascends to the Throne of Belgium (6 years Earlier than OTL)

It does occur to me that perhaps I should use Italian Anarchists as marksmanship tutors for the army, that's 2 Kings (Italy, Belgium) in 5 months. Hmm, shame that McKinley was killed by a Polish-American fellow.

Side note : Apparently in 1945, the Italian Anarchist Federation was founded. Doesn't organizing in a Federation run counter to being an Anarchist ???

Other side note : Apparently Mr. Rubino was arrested in Milan in 1898, as he was a participant in the riots which are now subject to an internal investigation per my news :)  Apparently OTL he became a member of the Italian Secret Service (so secret even I, the Italian player didn't know of it...)  and became discovered, leading him to do something for the Anarchist cause and gun for Leo. Here...I wave my magic wand of pre1900 editing...he's not recruited for the Secret Service ! Just a fugitive from justice ! Yay....

"He also said he did not regret his act and would have fired "at the King of Italy as readily as at the King of Belgium, because monarchs are tyrants who cause the misery of their peoples.""-wiki

snip

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 23, 2014, 08:30:29 PM
Hmm, shame that McKinley was might be killed by a Polish-American fellow.
FIFY, that event is still to come.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: snip on August 23, 2014, 08:54:45 PM
If you so choose to have it occur.
Perhaps the Xray machine saves him in this timeline :)

Tanthalas

And Perhaps it could be another Dasterdly Italian Anarchist Assasin (come on they got 2 already lets go for 3 of a kind)  :P

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 23, 2014, 11:03:34 PM
Quote from: snip on August 23, 2014, 08:54:45 PM
If you so choose to have it occur.
Perhaps the Xray machine saves him in this timeline :)
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Logi

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 23, 2014, 07:15:32 PMAs for Dutch Ghana, you may be right, be puzzling why it was removed from Britain and restored to the Dutch. Neither that nor Liberia are explained in the POD descriptions, which is why I figured they were independent bits, like the Transvaal.
I've mentioned before that the African map as far as colonial holdings may not be entirely accurate. If you guys could compile a list of issues with the African map, I'll set to fixing them.

Tanthalas

Depends on the "Issue" I actualy have some fantastic Colonial holdings maps (in dead tree format sadly), and a HIGHLY broken down map of Africa (ok ok so it is of the whole world but *shrug* africa is the part we are talking about).

Quote from: Logi on August 26, 2014, 01:10:53 PM
Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 23, 2014, 07:15:32 PMAs for Dutch Ghana, you may be right, be puzzling why it was removed from Britain and restored to the Dutch. Neither that nor Liberia are explained in the POD descriptions, which is why I figured they were independent bits, like the Transvaal.
I've mentioned before that the African map as far as colonial holdings may not be entirely accurate. If you guys could compile a list of issues with the African map, I'll set to fixing them.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Kaiser Kirk

Well, from my point of view, I don't know what is *supposed* to be. Some countries lost all colonies, others did not. Perhaps the Dutch were deliberately regiven that area, darned if I know.

Unfortunately the next several days are fairly busy, or I'd clip the BAM to Africa and label what I thought the various colors meant. I mean, it would be nice to know whom I'm conquering..oops did I say that ?

Tanthalas

Want me to make up a map of who owned what Circa 1875? I could relitivly easily.

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on August 26, 2014, 09:43:10 PM

Well, from my point of view, I don't know what is *supposed* to be. Some countries lost all colonies, others did not. Perhaps the Dutch were deliberately regiven that area, darned if I know.

Unfortunately the next several days are fairly busy, or I'd clip the BAM to Africa and label what I thought the various colors meant. I mean, it would be nice to know whom I'm conquering..oops did I say that ?
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Logi

Basically Africa should look as it did in 1870, i.e. before the Scramble for Africa.

A map would be appreciated.

Tanthalas

I will go ahead and slap one together.  Wont take to teribly long tbh.  May have a few "issues" since aparently there are some pre PoD butterflys but should be doable.

Quote from: Logi on August 26, 2014, 10:39:12 PM
Basically Africa should look as it did in 1870, i.e. before the Scramble for Africa.

A map would be appreciated.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Tanthalas

This is the map im working from btw.  It is Circa 1870 (like it says) so if anyone sees any obvious problems with it please let me know (aka any buterflys that happend that might not be obvious from the butterfly post).

To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Kaiser Kirk

Heh that's the one I wound up using.

Did some wiki research :
1870 Africa looked like either Tan's map or the one here :

I also tossed in a nice 1909 map I found with trade routes & resources.:

Lastly a 1827 map.

The Dutch did hold the Dutch Gold Coast (formally the Portuguese)  until from 1642 - 1870 when it was sold to the British. Presumably that sale still happened.

The Portguese though had extensive holdings along the coast.
Guiana - 1482-now.. weakly held. Intermingled with french colonists from Senegal.
Angola - Luanda est 1572, central highlands taken 1700s, pushed a bit interior 1800s, fighting Mbunda resistance 1900, lasting until 1917 apparently.
São Tomé and Príncipe - 1452 to now. Island possessions used for the Slave Trade, now coffee & cocoa
Portuguese Mozambique- 1498 to now.
various islands etc.

French
Colony of Obock was founded 1862 as a coaling station, became Djibouti (1894)
Cape Vert - Dakar/Senegal - founded Portuguese 1536, French since 1677.
Guinea - French conquest "mid 19th century' - didn't finish conquering entire area until 1898
Gabon - apparently colonized 1875-1885, so shouldn't be on the map.
Madagascar - invaded by France 1883, taken 1897.
Algeria - Taken 1830.

British
Sierra Leone - Freetown founded for freed slaves 1787/92, Colony 1808, interior annexed 1898
Gold Coast - see Dutch
Cape Colony - Est Dutch 1652, taken by UK in Napoleanic wars, ownership 1814. Self-governing 1872.
Natal - Boer 1839, annexed UK in 1844. Zululand added 1879.

United States
Liberia - 1820 onwards for freed slaves.

Spain
Rio Mundi & Bioko - 1778 & 1642, became Equatorial Guiena.
Various islands etc.

Boer
Transvaal - 1840ish, Gold Rush 1885. Second Boer war started 1899. Should be going on.
Orange Free State - 1837. Annexed in Second Boer war by UK in 1900.