Rollcall and Other Misc. Statistics

Started by Logi, March 21, 2014, 02:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logi

This thread is for keeping track of various things.

Link to a WebIRC directed to the our IRC Channel, Alternatively just join #Navalism on irc.nightstar.net

What is this place?
Navalism is a forum-based geopolitical role-playing simulation set in a world not quite our own. This style may be recognized as somewhat akin to Pbp.
Much of our activity is focused on the development of our military forces, with international affairs, technology, and economic development playing roles in this.

We play in six-month turns. Game play typically consists of:

1)  A sim report, in which you describe what your country is doing with respect to building/maintaining a military, research and development, infrastructure development, and economic development.  Some of us use a generic spreadsheet for this; others do it freehand.

2)  Posting new warship designs so that others may be humbled by your awesome skills or, if they're feeling brash, offer critiques.  We design the ships with Springsharp 3; some of us also work on drawings.

3)  Any news you'd like to share in order to add color to your nation and set the context for the stuff you mention in your sim report.  This can resemble newspapers clippings, be short stories, or something else.

4)  Any other discussions you'd like to participate in.

Players who have thus far shown interest in this restart attempt:
Logi ------------- Japan
Snip ------------ United States
Darman -------- England
Walter --------- China
Jefgte ---------- France
Rock Doctor --- Ottoman Empire
Guinness ------ Russia
Miketr ---------- Germany (Maybe)

Minor Powers Unfilled:
Italy
Netherlands

Countries not mentioned are probably extremely tiny (navy-wise).

Rollcall Status: CLOSED

POD: CLOSED

Discussion of Ruleset Modifications
Technology: CLOSED
Economics: CLOSED
Combat: CLOSED

Deadlines for all currently OPEN is April 13 as determined by the International Date Line.
This date has passed, so topics will start to be rapidly closed with only short notices.

Note: After the roll-call closes, players can still join the restart attempt, however to prevent "too many cooks", I ask that they respectfully limit their involvement in the discussion of changes to the N3 rules.

After the ruleset modifications and POD discussion closes, please cease from further discussion. It is time to make a decision so we can proceed with the sim.

Currently Accepted Proposals:
  • POD is 1875 and the sim starts in 1900. Players can start influencing their nation at the meta level in 1885. A stronger Ottoman Empire, China and weaker Spain and Austria-Hungary.
    Murad V of the Ottomans is more normal and moves the Empire to reform towards a Constitutional Monarchy. Hungary declares war on the Ottomans to prevent resurgence and loses, resulting in the partition of Austria-Hungary. China never suffers from the Opium War, Taiping Rebellion, etc. Japan takes the Philippines from Spain and the USA takes Guam, Cuba, and Jamaica in the simultaneous Spanish-Japanese and Spanish-American War.

• Each nation starts with any technology with a 1890 or earlier date. Technologies for the 1891-1899 period become available 3 years after the date which they would be researched normally (assuming no successful roll, so 1895 engine tech on a 1898 ship for example) at a price of $6 (flat cost of development if completed) OR the maximum amount that would be invested by the first turn in 1900. Any tech dated 1900 or later must start research after game start.

• Gun and Mount research costs $0.25 for small-caliber and $0.50 for large-caliber. Researching the gun grants one additional mount for it outside of the single M&H allowed under the current rules.

• Nations can research as many different technologies at the same time as they like. However the price per tech being researching doubles.
    I.E. A nation researching 4 techs at the same time would have to pay $2+$4+$8+$16 or a total of $30.

• Start-up BP to be spent on navies and naval infrastructure.

USA  300
    BRI1,080
    GER360
    FRA540
    RUS360
    TUR300
    CHI120
    JAP180

A maximum of 20% of this start-up BP can be spent on naval infrastructure (ports, drydocks, slips, etc.)

• Armies sizes for the start of the sim are to be declared publicly for peer-review. Armies sizes are not bound explicitly but expected to be historically reasonable/accurate.

• Economics
    Pop --> $0.1 / Pop
    IC ----> $2/$1/$0.5 / Pop with the breaks being IC < Pop, .... Pop <= IC < 2*Pop, .... 2*Pop <= IC
    BP ----> 1,000t War Materials.

In peacetime, a nation can spend no more than 50% of its revenue on military projects or civil projects for which there is likely no immediate economic justification.  The remainder may be spent on economic development projects, most typically new IC or BP.  If a nation is mobilized to a war economy, this restriction is lifted.
    Like N3, but Admin can adjust up or down due to tax/tariff and other fluff. In war economy, which is equiv. to nationalizing, nations are subject to admin-induced malus, something like -10% IC next half.

IC costs $10 base, without increase in capital cost.
    BP costs $50 base. Every 10 BP in existence increases base cost of BP by $10 (stacking). Every 100 BP in existence increase base cost of BP by $50 (stacking).
    Population growth increases in increments: 2%/1%/0.5% for IC < Pop, .... Pop <= IC < 2*Pop, .... 2*Pop <= IC. Increases by 0.5% if at peace.

• Research Budget Limit
    National homelands (colonial regions are not included) are divided into at least but not limited to 4 regions.
    Research budget limit is defined by one half IC over the regional Pop. This would be cumulative of all regions. No penalty for regions with Pop>IC.

Current Map

Darman

Quote from: Logi on March 21, 2014, 02:20:54 PM
Note: After the roll-call closes, players can still join the restart attempt, however to prevent "too many cooks", I ask that they respectfully limit their involvement in the discussion of changes to the N3 rules.

Good idea.  I agree with this 100%.  However, we really do need to try and recruit some new people. 

Also, I found a Navalism twitter account, does anyone know who has access to it?

snip

Also, I think we should start noting what Nations we would like to play. If each could list there top three, I think that should be sufficient. Mine in no real order; United States, Russia, China.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

Well, with the previous restart attempt I initially wanted to give China a shot so I'd put that on 1. Maybe 2 Germany and 3 Russia.

No doubt for Jef it would be 1 France, 2 France and 3 France. ;D

Darman

A) England
B) Scotland
C) Wales
D) Ireland
E) All of the Above

Walter

I would think that 'B' would be excellent fo you (with A, C and D conquered by B) ;D

Forgot to add to my No. 1 choice: if possible, no foreign presence (so no British in Hong Kong or Portugese in Macao, etc)  :)

Logi

I guess my choices would then be:

1) Japan
2) China
3) Russia

To be clear I initially had China as my first choice, but I will gladly yield it to Walter.

Also since it is practically midnight for the West Coast (of USA) as well, I'm closing the rollcall. I guess the only exception would be Nobody, if he wants to join since he has recently commented.

Nobody

No unfortunately I'm not able to join. I might occasionally be able to do my report, but I would be unable to write any stories whatsoever. I might also be unable to design my ships and .net being broken on my main computer does not simplify that.

However, feel free to ask if anyone has a questing related to Germany, German names or the German language, write me. I will read your mails.

Jefgte

QuoteNo doubt for Jef it would be 1 France, 2 France and 3 France.

Not sure... Germany,   :)  :)  :)
... Japan, England could be interresting.

I remember to have drawing a Tama Cruiser with 3T2x150 for Japan in ... 1972 when I was young, nice & svelt  :)  :)  :)

Jef  ;)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Walter

QuoteNot sure... Germany,   :)  :)  :)
You controlling Germany... sounds like trouble to me! ;D

Walter

QuoteTo be clear I initially had China as my first choice, but I will gladly yield it to Walter.
Initially I was thinking of waiting until the others had made a choice before I'd give my choice of nation. If you want to give China a shot, I have no problems with that. It's not like it is the end of the world if I play something other than China. I think almost all ideas I have could be altered slightly to fit another nation. The only exception is a religious one.

Logi

It's not so much that I desire to play China explicitly, but developing nations in general. For me, the developed nations suffer a severe case of been there done that which limit my desire to play them. I think I will stay with my Japan choice.

Logi

I've updated the OP with a new time: Deadline for discussion and agreement on changes to the ruleset.

I've set this at 3-weeks for now, but I will close particular threads if I perceive general agreement or no interest (of a few days, 3+). If perhaps you meant to respond to the thread, etc. but I closed it, just notify me. I'll reopen it. Contacting me a week or more after I've closed it is not the same however, at that point it's tough luck!  ;)

snip

Maybe add a rough-in of who is playing what at this time so we can hash out any problems with that area?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Logi

Alright, I've done so. Everyone has gotten their first choice since there were no conflicts.