Started by KWorld, August 23, 2013, 08:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Sim start date: Jan. 1, 1870.

Initial Setup for main-line countries:
$1000, 200 BP

The map is attached.

KWorld

Here's a spreadsheet to help players through the initial setup of their country.

Darman

did you intend to limit our coast artillery to 12" disappearing or 12" casemated, 10" disappearing or 10" casemated, and 6" disappearing or 6" casemated guns?  Or was that just an accident?

Edit: Let me make it clear that I don't disagree with a chance to make set up simpler by limiting coast artillery choices, but I do believe a lighter gun (3" perhaps?) should be added to the list as well. 

KWorld

Those sizes were just ones that I used in the last set-up, it's not intended to restrict players.  After all, at this time period, the US coast artillery included 20" and 15" Rodmans....  :)

Darman

Okay.  Sounds good to me.  Will there be any tweaks to the rules for coastal artillery?  Are there disappearing guns in 1870?  Or are they introduced later? 

Also, my proposed list of naval bases for the RN includes Gibraltar, Malta, Bermuda, Singapore, and Aden.  I couldn't find the list of English colonies (Australia, Canada, and a small part of India were definitely included) and I couldn't recall if Gibraltar was included.  I thought it was.  The others I'm not so sure about. 

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 01, 2013, 11:22:39 PM
Okay.  Sounds good to me.  Will there be any tweaks to the rules for coastal artillery?  Are there disappearing guns in 1870?  Or are they introduced later?

Historically, they were invented in the 1860s and then later (in the 1880s) refined, so they're available.  The general coast gun rules..... well.....  (see follow-on post).

QuoteAlso, my proposed list of naval bases for the RN includes Gibraltar, Malta, Bermuda, Singapore, and Aden.  I couldn't find the list of English colonies (Australia, Canada, and a small part of India were definitely included) and I couldn't recall if Gibraltar was included.  I thought it was.  The others I'm not so sure about.

Those look correct.

Darman

Would it be possible to include gun positions "en barbette" as an option? Basically it just means firing from behind a wall or earthworks. 

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 02, 2013, 08:21:15 AM
Would it be possible to include gun positions "en barbette" as an option? Basically it just means firing from behind a wall or earthworks.

In my coast gun post, that's what I called a parapet mounting.

Guinness

The Guns on the spreadsheet are heavy land guns, but not coastal artillery?

KWorld

Quote from: Guinness on September 02, 2013, 12:02:44 PM

The guns that you buy on the spreadsheet are coast artillery, using the N3 rules for them.  Heavy land guns for siege purposes are purchased by buying siege artillery regiments.

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on September 02, 2013, 12:35:17 PM
Quote from: Guinness on September 02, 2013, 12:02:44 PM

The guns that you buy on the spreadsheet are coast artillery, using the N3 rules for them.  Heavy land guns for siege purposes are purchased by buying siege artillery regiments.

I will note that in my N4.5 or whatever we called it, war between Brazil and Chile I did mount 6" CD guns on makeshift field carriages for siege work.  Why?  Because it happened historically during one of the Boer Wars.   

Guinness

Ok, that confuses me, as those guns are right next to fortresses and just a bit above and to the right of the coast defense artillery.

KWorld

Quote from: Guinness on September 02, 2013, 07:15:49 PM

Ok, that confuses me, as those guns are right next to fortresses and just a bit above and to the right of the coast defense artillery.

Ah, OK, you're talking about the gun technology lines, ie, what guns & mountings have you researched, as opposed to what guns have you purchased..

Walter

The map you've attached is not right. Svizzera should have been made orange, not Tunisia.  I need the ability to sell those high-quality chocolats to you. :)

Darman

I would like to make an argument that the Suez Canal opened as OTL in 1869.  The British Empire does indeed still have Imperial colonies on the far side of the world, most easily accessed through the Suez Canal so the commercial and communications importance of the canal are still important prior to 1870.  It will also create a trouble-point in the Mediterranean.  I propose that the ownership of the canal ought to be 30% English, 30% French, and 40% Egyptian, yet another bone of contention.