Anyone have some concreat information on

Started by Tanthalas, December 13, 2012, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanthalas

How big VTEs actualy were?  im only curious cause I personaly have no clue but was diging around today and found pics of a couple british ones and american ones from USS Wisconsin, and USS Olympia... None of them actualy looked all that large.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

KWorld

Quote from: Tanthalas on December 13, 2012, 12:14:06 PM
How big VTEs actualy were?  im only curious cause I personaly have no clue but was diging around today and found pics of a couple british ones and american ones from USS Wisconsin, and USS Olympia... None of them actualy looked all that large.

Well, there's some info here: http://www.cityofart.net/bship/engine.html

The really big ones, like on the big ocean liners, could be 30 feet high and probably 2-3 times that in length. 

Info on the VTEs that powered the Liberty ships is here:

http://liberty-ship.com/html/topics/engine.html

It's 19 feet high, 21 feet high, weighs 135 tons, and generated 2500 horsepower.

Tanthalas

Thanks Kworld that actualy helps with what im trying to figure out.  the reason I was looking is I started drawing my newest BB and honestly im not sure the layout im using will work on the length I have LOL.  that one more centerline turret is IMHO TIGHT, especialy since I made it an ACY layout (with an 8" twin in the Y posistion).  It looks hella cool, but IDK about the internal arangements (ok so realy I do know... I dont think I have room for the engines)
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Tanthalas

Some realy good pictures here to, and yes BTW this is where I got my wild hair idea about puting turrets on the wings with turrets at both ends... to bad that turned out ilegal (I realy liked that ship still do for that matter)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Jaur%C3%A9guiberry
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Jefgte

Much plans of the French Navy are now free & You can load them as you want.

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php

Have fun time  :)  :)  :)

Jef

Ex: Look at "Cuirassé Garde cotes Bouvines" plan ...3A
Danton: ...C007
CC Dupleix: ...07
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Tanthalas

ZOMG Jef I love that site, TY TY TY TY TY *breaks out his very very rusty french (what I took it in High school, and chicks dig it)  Now I totaly hope I got this right (like I said my french is realy realy rusty).  Les points de bonus a Jef pour me trouver un site que je n'avais pas.  (and remember my french is learnd not functional and im sure my word useage sucks)
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

Nobody

No exact data, but very big. Apparently they were the main reason why battleships before Dreadnought did not exceed 20 knots, because that would have required engines extending above the armor deck. Such ships did exist (as protected cruisers) with a turtle deck extending higher above the engines then elsewhere.

KWorld

Quote from: Tanthalas on December 13, 2012, 02:45:37 PM
Some realy good pictures here to, and yes BTW this is where I got my wild hair idea about puting turrets on the wings with turrets at both ends... to bad that turned out ilegal (I realy liked that ship still do for that matter)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_battleship_Jaur%C3%A9guiberry

If you went with wing turrets of smaller guns than your mains, like the above ship, you'd probably be fine by the rules (you'd be in the "medium main battery" exception).

Guinness

The height mattered quite a bit. This was because of piston speed. Short squat engines would have to move faster, and faster moving pistons meant more vibration. In warships, VTE engines generally weren't laid on their sides because of insufficient space to lay two or more along side each other.

One compromise the Brits tried in protected cruisers (which I know now thanks to Friedman's new book) was allowing the engines to pierce the armored deck, and building up armor around their tops, similar to what several navies did with uptakes. Still this seemed to be unsatisfactory, and may have contributed to the move from protected to armored cruisers.

Tanthalas

I have actualy learnd alot from this thread (its part of the reason my latest ships are sooooo long.  Honestly to do what im doing its what you would have needed in this period.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650