Main Menu

Berliner Morgenpost

Started by Nobody, October 15, 2012, 03:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

Berlin, January 1900
With the end of the winter break discussions in parliament about the still unfinalized 1900 budget start anew. All parties are eager to prove their importance in this election year, which since the constitutional changes of 1885 takes place only ever 5 years. Most German males above the age of 25 will have the chance to vote for the new Reichstag later this year, and all parties are already beginning their election campaigns.
Most discussed is - again - the military, especially the naval portion of the national budget. Most members of parliament think that the Kaiser is spending way too much money for it. However, national opinion of the navy is high and no one wants to be responsible for cuts in project that are viewed as national prestige.

Meanwhile the navy itself and the Marineministerium are hoping to finance some of their projects by selling ships and equipment to friendly countries. While the parliament has always opposed this and is heavily criticizing the choice of trading partners, it has been unable to stop this practice. The most likely reason for that might be public opinion, who is proud of national exports.

Nobody

Berliner Morgenpost, 20th February
Entire British Royal Family killed in Explosion
According to various reports from the United Kingdom, the entire British Royal family was killed yesterday in a huge explosion. This would mean that there would be no heir to the throne. This could start a war between most European monarchs over the now vacant throne or their grandmother.
There has been no comment from the British government on this, instead they are keeping an eerie silence which lead us to assume the worst.

Schloss Sanssouci, 20th February
The Kaiser had almost finished his breakfast and was moving towards a quick glance into the paper while servants were were beginning to remove the plates. It wasn't too long before the Kaiser face became quite white. The servants rushed over to him immediately to check out what was wrong and glanced at what he had just read. By the time his cup hit the floor the only thing that could be heard was the splintering porcelain.

a bit later
The entire household seemed to lost their mind. Everything and everyone was shocked and running around in confusion.
Only the old butler, who had been with the family for decades appeared unaffected. He was already on the phone using some old contacts on "the Island" to shed some light on the matter.

Nobody

Sometime early 1900, Reichsmarineamt, Construction Bureau
a large bureau with several drawing boards, two men looking slightly more important than the rest walk through the room talking headed for the chief engineers office
"Have you heard of the ships which are being laid down around the world?" "I have seen our intelligence agencies memos. And I have heard rumors. It's like the world has gone crazy, planning all those monstrosities with 3 big turrets." "You think they will fail like we did ten yeas ago?" "Nah, they will be fine. We at least could build them with what we learned back then quite easily, but that is not the point. See this", he said pull out an envelope with statistics out of nowhere. "These are the results from the latest practice shoot-outs," he points at various papers, which cover every relation the caliber, the gun length, the distance, the time in flight and rate of fire - "... they clearly show that having more big guns, reduces the average damage a ship can deal to an enemy." "Really - then why don't we switch to the medium calibers altogether?" "That obvious, they are required to penetrate the thickest parts of the armor. It's important to have all calibers in balanced numbers on an effective warship. And without a way to coordinate them better so they can actually hit despite their long delays between salvos, four is the magic number of heavy guns on a ship." "... ah, I see..."

Nobody

Early 1900, a meeting in a secret room in the Reichskanzlei between high ranking public servants.
... "and now to out next Topic for todays meeting."
"Recently we got quite a few reports on odd promotions throughout the Royal Navy", continued the secret intelligence representative. Than he haded out some reports to the other members. "Please take a look at these files. We believe there is a small group behind these, but haven't figured out why they were promoted or what their overall goal might be. Anyway if we want to find out what they are after we would have to observe them somehow. However it would be too risky for intelligence to try this."
"So what can we do then?"
"How is this," asked the naval officer. "This guy here - Colton McEvoy - seems to be especially interesting. According to this report, he was promoted to captain, skipping a rank - while he should have been thrown out of the royal navy several times. Anyway, we might be able to observe him, or at least his ship."
"And how would we do that, if I may ask?"
"Actually, it's rather simple. We could send a larger unit and some accompanying vessels on an east Atlantic trial. From there they should be able to observe Portsmouth."
"How would that help us? Even if they did observe this Colton and his ship, it would take way to long to come back and report that."
"No it won't - if we use a ship with one of these new wireless sets, scheduled to be installed in all capable ships. I was thinking of using the SMS Wittelsbach together with the SMS Falke and SMS Hela. They could get there undiscovered under cover of a late winter-storm. Trouble is, we don't have a tender yet, so we need a hire some merchant ships."

"Okay, I will inform the Kanzler, the Kaiser and the admiralty. They will have to decide."

Storyline start (UK)
Continuation (DE)
Continuation (UK)

Nobody

After a long journey, trying to navigate through the north sea and around the British isles unseen, the small German unit reaches the east Atlantic late in the spring of 1900. The two small cruisers begin a regular scouting schedule towards Portsmouth, while the armored cruiser holds position far over the horizon.

English Channel near Portsmouth, May 15th 1900
on board of SMS Hela
Kapitän Müller was in a bad mood. There he was, in the English Channel, not supposed to be seen by either British or the French or whoever was coming along and smocking like crazy. "Bridge to Engine Room, can't you do something about our smoke trail? It's so big you could probably see it from Bremen." "Sorry captain, but we have run out of Silesia coal days ago." answered his chief engineer. "All we have now is that cheap 'coal' the ministry delivered to us with the chartered merchants. There's nothing we can do, short shutting down all boilers." Damn he thought, at least his ship was supposed to switch places with SMS Falke soon. He looked at his First Officer: "Isn't it time for our next turning point?" "Yes, in about ten minutes" came the prompt answer from his 'first'. The captain nodded and opened his mouth to form an answer but was cut short by shouting from the crow's nest: "Two warships sighted on backboard." and after a pause: "They look like an Ariadine and a Pegasus class cruiser." "That's them. Must be him" said the intelligence officer, who had suddenly appeared from the shadows. He always did that, no one ever seemed to notice that guy. He could have been standing there for hours thought captain Müller. "Can we confirm it's the HMS Phoenix?" he asked the captain. "Of course not. No matter how good these new binoculars are they are barely above the horizon. I think we'll leave that to the Falke. She can sail a lot closer without being recognized." "Helm: 180° to starboard! Große Fahrt vorraus*!""Aye aye sir!" "We have a message to deliver..."

SMS Hela before 1903

*)that's between half and full ahead, so three quarters ahead maybe?

Storyline start (UK)
Preeceding part (DE)
Preeceding part (UK)
Continuation (UK)

Nobody

Meanwhile, back in Germany
A.G. Weser, Bremen
"The Argentinians ordered THAT?" asked the startled navy bureaucrat who was supposed to supervise the negotiations, but had apparently arrived too late. "I knew they were in a hurry, but couldn't YOU have at least waited until I was here?"
"I'm sorry, but we were just as surprised as you. We expected them to hand us some very specific design specifications and give us a few weeks for calculation. In preparation I had two apprentices to put together some designs containing all weapons we did expect them to be interested in, but then they just said 'yes please.' and: 'can we have it yesterday?'"
"Seriously?"
"Indeed. They appeared to be quite on edge with that war down there."
"Can I at least speak to them?"
*distant, deep sound of a ships steamhorn*
"No Sir, I think that was their ship you just heard."
"Great. Just great. What about the payment?"
"Oh it's not great, but not bad either. Look on a bright side with a ship like that, they'll need a replacement pretty soon. And they can't say we didn't warn them about the disadvantages in ordering a ship with no 'personal' modifications"
"Your words in God`s ear."
"Now if you'll excuse me Sir, I have to make some proper build-plans out of this design-study."
"Good luck."
"See you again Sir."