Logi's Unofficial Tools

Started by Logi, October 14, 2012, 01:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logi

To make it easier to find and prevent any confusion - I'm grouping all my tools into one thread. I'll be deleting the other threads shortly.

Logi

An Economy Simulation Based On Taxes (.Exe)

This is a spreadsheet that calculates the rate of economic growth of a nation based on its taxes. This follows the rules of real life, not N5. It is fairly accurate.

The information is drawn from many sources:
Moody's Economy.com, indexArb.com, Kiplinger.com, Biz.yahoo.com, The CBO, Nieman Watchdog, Shell Annual Reports, American Medical Student Association, AVC.com, The Wall Street Journal, The Economist, The IRS, TradingEconomics.com, Federal Budget Reports, and tons of economic research papers.

Logi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the latest version, version 0.50!

Here is the Alternative Penetration Version
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on inputted shell diameter, weight, gun caliber, gun elevation, latitude, and firing direction relative to the north pole, it will tell you the approximate shell length, muzzle velocity, range, flight time, angle of fall, striking velocity, perpendicular drift, and penetration.

Please note these are all approximations based on applying the "best-fit curve" formulas to stacks of historical gun data and step-by-step physics approximations.

They are jar files so you should be able to run it by double-clicking so long as you have Java.

Quote--------------------Changelog ---------------
0.10:
   Fixed Muzzle Energy for Predreadnought Use
   Fixed Penetration Values
0.20:
   UI revamped
0.30:
   Corrected F-Value
   Fixed Striking Velocity
   Fixed Angle of Fall
   Added Multiple Armor Material Penetration
0.40:
   Fixed Penetration-Angle Issue
0.50:
   Added Deck Penetration
   Fixed Rounding Issues
   Added Variable Gun Energy (based on design date)
   Added Adjustable F-Value
Alt:
   Switched to Krupp Penetration Formula
   Changed Gun Design Date to Propellant Type

Logi

A series of little programs to calculate details about waves and their height etc. in relation to our designs.

Tasaki Model
The Tasaki Model was the method I used in N3. It was created in 1963 as an empirical model based on model experiments. The model calculates the static swell-up at the forward perpendicular or in layman's terms it determines the height of the bow wave. It is used to predict the long-term bow wave height (in contrast to a formula by the China Classification Society regarding short-term bow wave height - which I am currently working on).

China Classification Society Model
This is the model created by the China Classification Society as the result of a joint effort with the Netherlands to develop a bow height formula. It is cited by many naval papers and used heavily. This version is the original form of the formula which calculates the probability on deck wetness as defined in the sea state (H1/3, T2). This formula requires 3 things - the bow height of the ship, the bow wave height, and the zero-order moment of the vertical relative motion spectrum.

Alternative China Classification Society Model
This formula was the result of slightly modifying the CCS formula to produce a minimum bow height formula. It requires the bow wave height, the probability Ps (probability on deck wetness on the sea state previously mentioned), and the zero-order moment of the vertical relative motion spectrum. This produces the minimum bow height necessary for the ship to have the inputted value short-term deck wetness. The China Classification Society determined this to be 0.40 (40%) from the analysis of 11 typical ships. In the program you may choose to input your own Ps value but if you input a value lower than 0, it will automatically calculate the minimum bow height at the default setting Ps = 0.40.

China Draught Model
This is a model created by China to predict the minimum bow height for ships of 24 meters (78.7 ft) or longer based on the ship's draught, waterplane area, beam, length, and block coefficient. The method used to create the formula was the regressive analyses of calculated bow heights.

Netherlands Draught Model
Using the same methods as China, the Netherlands came out with a slightly different formula in which the formula's structure remains the same but the values of the coefficients have been tweaked. Again, it can only be used on ships longer than 24 meters (78.7 ft).

Joint Draught Model
Because the two countries result were fairly similar, they decided to unify the model by taking the average of both models and transforming it into a new formula. As a result this formula has slightly different coefficients compared to the Netherlands and the China model.

Logi

This was an redone version of Tanksharp with corrected formulas, and many more values and options.

Included in the zip is both the spreadsheet and a changelog from Ryan Crierie's 0.7.1 (for which the link to the manual no longer exists) and to my version 0.9.

Logi

This is a little ballistics tool I wrote up. Compared to my Steam and Sails program, I removed the elements of perpendicular drift and corrected the formulas for the ballistic modeling. I also removed the conversion of penetration for different types of armor as well as deck penetration.

The program runs by taking iterative steps (a million steps every second), modeling the general large forces on the shell. The program computes its tables by computing ever 0.05 degrees elevation change.

You can choose to have the table printed out in elevation or range increments. You can choose the increment the table is in as well as the max angle of the gun.

The muzzle velocity is approximated by my muzzle velocity prediction formula which is relatively accurate from 1820 to 2010. The penetration formula is the Thompson F-Formula.

The program is written in C++ and the current compute time for the 16"/50 Mark 7 gun with the AP Mark 8 shell is on the order of 300ms. There are plans to make the code run parallel to reduce the computational time.

QuoteChangelog

Walter

300 ms is already fast in my eyes. That is about the same as the shutter lag on my E-620 camera (298 ms) and less than the shutter lag of my P510 (380 ms). Guess I need a faster camera. :)