Army Rules Suggestions

Started by Nobody, September 21, 2012, 01:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

Armies, even if some (like me) would like not to bother with them at all, we'll still need them for the purpose of the sim. And because I see the N3 army rules as at least partially broken, I would like to make some suggestions.

I'm not sure if I missed a newer post from snip on this, but for now will base my suggestion on the N3 Version and only make a few changes.

Strength, I see a nice simple pattern there: 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 - lets keep it.

Build costs. Since we have a lot more resources, we should consider raising the cost while keeping the pattern(was twice strength in $ and quarter strength in BP).

UPGRADING COSTS. That needs improving imo. We should make it a multiple of the difference in price, e.g. (NewPrice-OldPrice)*2.

UPKEEP. That's what was most wrong. We should make it either constant or slowly raising, e.g. 0.9, 1, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 (mobilized, active could be half and reserve 10% of that value).
Motorization should increase the upkeep significantly, e.g. $0.5 for the first, $0.8 for the second and $1.2 for a third level.

Strength   $   BP   Mobilized   Active   Reserve
Primitive   2   4   0,5   0,7   0,35   0,07
Dated   3   6   0,75   0,8   0,4   0,08
1895 Baseline   4   8   1   0,9   0,45   0,09
1905   5   10   1,25   1   0,5   0,1
1915   6   12   1,5   1,1   0,55   0,11
1925   7   14   1,75   1,2   0,6   0,12
1935   8   16   2   1,3   0,65   0,13

Tanthalas

Honestly in N3 the army rules were initialy somewhat of an afterthought.  They were a simple extension of the rules from N2 and worked about as well as the N2 rules (thank god for the simplification of the reports though).  Being as this is primarily a naval sim honestly I would like to keep the army rules as simple as posible, and speak for yourself about having so much aditional money.  Italia has more BP than during during N3 Cash however is not so improved (I actualy only got about a 30% boost there), but you are right the top call it 4 powers are substantialy better off than they were in N3.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

snip

Here are my thoughts on the two areas you raise

QuoteUPGRADING COSTS. That needs improving imo. We should make it a multiple of the difference in price, e.g. (NewPrice-OldPrice)*2.

Sorry, but this falls under the sections that are not up for modification as per here.

UPKEEP. That's what was most wrong. We should make it either constant or slowly raising, e.g. 0.9, 1, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 (mobilized, active could be half and reserve 10% of that value).
Motorization should increase the upkeep significantly, e.g. $0.5 for the first, $0.8 for the second and $1.2 for a third level.

I feel that the current upkeep costs are good due to being nice percentages of the purchase cost. As Tan said, this is primarily a naval sim and keeping the army rules simple is a good way to ensure that the sim can flow smoothly.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Nobody

Quote from: snip on September 21, 2012, 09:32:02 AM
QuoteUPGRADING COSTS. That needs improving imo. We should make it a multiple of the difference in price, e.g. (NewPrice-OldPrice)*2.
Sorry, but this falls under the sections that are not up for modification as per here.
That's sad, its not like I didn't suggest this years ago or its any more more difficult. And it would definitely make more sense.

I feel that the current upkeep costs are good due to being nice percentages of the purchase cost. As Tan said, this is primarily a naval sim and keeping the army rules simple is a good way to ensure that the sim can flow smoothly.
Exactly, which is why it should be changed. Due to this percentages cost, army upkeep became a majority in later N3 budgets.

I can't believe it, but if I'm the only one who thinks that way, I'll have to live with it.

snip

Army upkeep is fine to keep discussing. It does fall under what is up for change.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon