Technology and Research changes

Started by snip, September 13, 2012, 01:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darman

Why not consider disappearing mounts with massive defenses to be CD mortars?

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on October 08, 2012, 03:08:13 PM
Why not consider disappearing mounts with massive defenses to be CD mortars?

Because they'd be far too expensive: one of the points to the coast defence mortars is thst their defences, while very effective and cheap at this time period, fail later on.  Also, the guns are cheaper and lighter than the direct fire guns mounted on disappearing carriages.  Not to mention that the coast defence mortars will NEVER appear to direct-fire foes.

Delta Force

Can we get an official ruling on naval mortars? Coastal defenses are one of the last parts of my startup I need to finish.

Tanthalas

Honestly they have to my knowlage never been considerd, as this is inspite of its similarities to OTL an Alternate History, I think its safe to say they were simply never invented... Sorry but thats the best I can offer you without a bit more time, and input from the mods who actualy like rules.  :'(

Quote from: Delta Force on October 08, 2012, 11:24:38 PM
Can we get an official ruling on naval mortars? Coastal defenses are one of the last parts of my startup I need to finish.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

snip

I am inclined to agree with Tan. The coastal defense types that are there are the three types that will exist.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Delta Force

What kind of rules regulate guns smaller than 8 inches? I'm asking because I have some 3"/50 weaponry on my battleships. No one has brought it up as an issue but I would like some more specifics on the small gun rules as I finalize my starting research.

Tanthalas

*digs through his memory* If I remember right (and I definetly might not) but I think all you had to do for small guns was research the gun, Mounts wernt tracked.

Quote from: Delta Force on October 09, 2012, 03:01:21 AM
What kind of rules regulate guns smaller than 8 inches? I'm asking because I have some 3"/50 weaponry on my battleships. No one has brought it up as an issue but I would like some more specifics on the small gun rules as I finalize my starting research.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

snip

Mounts beyond single deck mounts (+ and - hoist) and single casemates are given for guns smaller then 8" Anything else needs to be researched
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Delta Force

I take it we need to have the necessary gun and mount research done if we want to use a gun for coastal artillery? For example, you would need a casemate mount to use a 12 inch gun in a casemated coastal defense gun, right?

Tanthalas

Yup.

Quote from: Delta Force on October 09, 2012, 07:48:41 PM
I take it we need to have the necessary gun and mount research done if we want to use a gun for coastal artillery? For example, you would need a casemate mount to use a 12 inch gun in a casemated coastal defense gun, right?
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

miketr

So casement is counting as another type of mount? So you need to research a casement single, deckmount single, turret single?

Michael

Quote from: Tanthalas on October 09, 2012, 07:50:23 PM
Yup.

Delta Force

Quote from: miketr on October 10, 2012, 05:47:48 AM
So casement is counting as another type of mount? So you need to research a casement single, deckmount single, turret single?

Michael

Yup.

Anything smaller than 210 mm/8.27 inches comes with single casemate, single deck +hoist, and single deck -hoist for free. Anything else requires research. All mounts for guns larger than 210 mm/8.27 inches must be researched.

Tanthalas

Thats what the rules say anyway... *glares at the rules page* nope it didnt change.

Quote from: Delta Force on October 10, 2012, 01:04:56 PM
Quote from: miketr on October 10, 2012, 05:47:48 AM

Michael

Yup.

Anything smaller than 210 mm/8.27 inches comes with single casemate, single deck +hoist, and single deck -hoist for free. Anything else requires research. All mounts for guns larger than 210 mm/8.27 inches must be researched.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650

KWorld

Question: when do wireless sets start becoming available?  I'm not seeing them as a naval technology tree, though there is provision for including their weight.

Tanthalas

Wierd it used to be there... 1900 im fairly sure was the year on it.

Quote from: KWorld on October 17, 2012, 06:19:35 AM
Question: when do wireless sets start becoming available?  I'm not seeing them as a naval technology tree, though there is provision for including their weight.
To win or lose it all!"

1612 to 1650