Unconventional Warship Designs

Started by Delta Force, May 26, 2012, 04:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delta Force

I am considering making a few unconventional warship design studies and was wondering what kind of unusual warship designs were explored and constructed around the early 1900s. For example, ships like the USS Kearsarge, the Russian circular battleships, and armored warships designed solely to deliver torpedo broadsides.

Darman

I'm considering building broadside ironclad-type vessels.  Will they be the most effective weapons?  probably not.  will they be weak versus torpedoes?  most certainly.  But i always liked the look of the Virginia over that of the Monitor.  Broadsides and then casemated guns... is it possible to put your main batteries in casemates? 

Carthaginian

Quote from: Darman on May 26, 2012, 07:04:28 PM
I'm considering building broadside ironclad-type vessels.  Will they be the most effective weapons?  probably not.  will they be weak versus torpedoes?  most certainly.  But i always liked the look of the Virginia over that of the Monitor.  Broadsides and then casemated guns... is it possible to put your main batteries in casemates? 

They will not be as efficient- aka, they will fire more slowly- but they will be just as deadly when they fire.
TRANSLATION: Yes, they will work; your ships will probably be just as dangerous on a broadside as any AQY ship because you will mount a dozen or more guns compared to their six.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Delta Force

Quote from: Darman on May 26, 2012, 07:04:28 PM

If the main armament is casemated, where will the torpedo boat defense guns go? Also, will the ships have any bow and stern chaser main guns?

Jefgte

Quotewhere will the torpedo boat defense guns go?

On the top of the casemates, I think
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Darman

Quote from: Delta Force on May 27, 2012, 01:16:38 AM

If the main armament is casemated, where will the torpedo boat defense guns go? Also, will the ships have any bow and stern chaser main guns?

I will definitely have bow and stern chasers.  I'd like them to be longer range guns, my broadside guns are going to be medium range because the barrels cant be too long.  The debate is over having a slightly lighter long range gun but maybe have two versus one heavy long range chaser. 
As for secondaries, well I'll leap that hurdle when I come to it.  I havent had the time to sim the ship out just yet.