Nippon Setup Design Work

Started by Valles, September 25, 2011, 02:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valles

Quote from: Korpen on October 01, 2011, 04:19:01 AMYou know, I kind of doubt she will fit 1000 men; if all space were used inside the hull and then some superstructure is added, she would have an enclosed deck area of only 2 600m2 (assuming 2m low decks). That is without taking things like funnel uptakes and machinery spaces into account. So I think you really need to add about two decks more to get a hull large enough. If she would be a sailing ship (no space needed for engines and fuel) she would have a GRT of about 1600 gross register tonnage.

As drawn, 12 men per room. Adding another deck of housing at waterline level - which I have/will - nine. There's enough room for three-deep cots and personal effects that way. Exercise on deck, actual gear and supplies in holds under the waterline and fore-and-aft... Yes, I think it's possible.

Quote from: Korpen on October 01, 2011, 04:53:54 AMI can see some potential issues here.
I take it the main belt is intended to go from wetherdeck to ,5m below the waterline in order to protect the machinery for the turrets?
Splitting the belt in an upper and main portion would make that a bit clearer.

I kept it all as the main belt because of my feeling that the 'upper belt' should be used for thinner subsidiary armor rather than main defensive weight. I figure that once I get to it in my art queue, the layout should be perfectly clear.

Quote from: Korpen on October 01, 2011, 04:53:54 AMThe gun layout with three centreline guns seems a major weakness as it gives you really bad ends-on fire. This can be a major problem in the sort of melees one can expect between capital ships, the fact that she is long and slow makes that worse.
Also, single full turrets are quite inefficient, the armour of a single mount is about the same as that of a twin turret.

I'm aware of the latter issue and not-terribly-concerned about the former, but either way, I don't think I'll be changing things - I went with singles because I wanted to set things up such that Japanese battlewagons always had three turrets, and after the struggles over the distinction between game vision and godmodding other people's player nations, I didn't feel like wading into the hullaballoo over six-gun ships.
======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester
Dancing with the Lightning Lady Fair

Valles

======================================================

When the mother ship's cannon cracked the signal to return
The clouds were building bastions in the swirling up above
Poseidon the King and the Wind his jester