North America Buildup

Started by Guinness, June 07, 2011, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexanCowboy

Guys, it might be easier to build a line from Orleans through Texas to San Diego, with spurs north from Texas into Salt Lake City and Sacromento? Has the benefit of being on civilized, non-disputed land.

snip

and anything to the rain-soaked north?
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Desertfox

Depending on the rules the Tucson to San Diego part might already be built or under construction...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

TexanCowboy

That would run through the spur to Sacromento, hopefully.

ctwaterman

Quote from: snip on July 28, 2011, 11:47:39 PM

I am pretty Sure that the USS and NER Railroad Nets connect at several points along our border.   Especially along the Maryland, PA, and Virgina Borders.   The Pitsburg/Ohio RR probably connects to the Tennessee/Kentucky Railroad. 
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

Carthaginian

Uhm... who says there will only be ONE trans-continental railroad! :P
There will have to be a long rail line built to support the expansion of Acadie, and that will inevitably extend into New Russia and Deseret.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Tanthalas

im fairly sure Deserets RRs will have to run from SLC to San Fran at a minimum.  The distances are just to great with no viable transport alternative.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

ctwaterman

It makes total sense..... the Canadian Transcontential railroad was built originally to transport troops and equipment from the Vancover Region to Ontario and the East Coast.  It also allowed grain shipments from the Canadian version of the Midwest.

I would be building my version well because givern our slightly latter history and lack of westward expansion I expect right about now that Deseret is discovering Silver in Nevada and possibly the latter Gold Strikes in Colorado... in addition to Gold in California.

All this leads one to think that if I could just get Beans, Bacon, Rice, Wheat, Picks, Shovel, and Cloth to the area I could take advantage of the inflated prices and be one of the people really getting rich....  So instead of paying the Mexicans, or Tejas I propose a more direct route across the Great Plains to Salt Lake City.   Deseret would build the Sacremento to Salt Lake Spur.  All this would be to avoid taking the stuff by Ship to Mexico or Panama loading it on to mules or a train taking it to the Pacific coast reloading it on a ship and sailing it up to Sacramento or San Fran to unload and be shipped to the Mines.

Even then this is going to have to be a railroad backed and funded by the Government.  Its to risky for a strait private enterprise for profit railroad.  After all their are hostile Indians, Texans, all sorts of rif raf in the way.. ;)

snip

More reffering to New Russia...

Quote from: ctwaterman on July 29, 2011, 12:25:47 AM
Quote from: snip on July 28, 2011, 11:47:39 PM

I am pretty Sure that the USS and NER Railroad Nets connect at several points along our border.   Especially along the Maryland, PA, and Virgina Borders.   The Pitsburg/Ohio RR probably connects to the Tennessee/Kentucky Railroad.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

ctwaterman

Well considering the Lakota Souix probably still control the Bosman Trail that path is sort of limited.  A Railroad from USS to New Russia well thats going to require conqueoring groups I hadnt even intended to ever meet.   Of Course you could simply build a railroad to Northern California and work on some standardized track sizes with your southern neighbor.

Chalres

TexanCowboy

Yeap.

As I said; routing it south through Texas and Mexico should give it a bit more protection, making it a bit less risky (I'd rather face Apaches and Comanches away from their own turf than Siuox and Cheyenne on their turf). We can have spur lines connecting from Mexico to San Francisco and maybe Texas to Salt Lake City?

Tanthalas

Quote from: TexanCowboy on July 29, 2011, 11:10:52 AM
Yeap.

As I said; routing it south through Texas and Mexico should give it a bit more protection, making it a bit less risky (I'd rather face Apaches and Comanches away from their own turf than Siuox and Cheyenne on their turf). We can have spur lines connecting from Mexico to San Francisco and maybe Texas to Salt Lake City?

Nope, Deseret wont be involved in that case, so no need for the "spur" (which I would have to pay for anyway and would be over half the RR I would have to build anyway)
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Zephyr

Just joined here after this being recommended to me by a friend, who is also here. So, Quick question. Is there anything left open in N.A.? Or am I pretty much restricted to trying to find some small, as yet unclaimed, island in the Caribbean?

Carthaginian

OK...
Sorry Zephyr...
This is left over from the last attempt at a startup.
We're not using this thread, but we haven't cleaned up yet.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.