Vatican City Rome: 1920

Started by ctwaterman, January 28, 2011, 02:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctwaterman

Office of the Vatican Secretary of State January 15th 1920
Present:
Aristitde Cardinal Rinaldini *
Wlodimir Ledóchowski Superior General of the Society of Jesus *

It was a chilly winter day in Rome and despite his 76 years Cardinal Rinaldini was working late into the night.  He had received a series very disturbing letters one after another starting in late December 1919.   The first had come from the Priests of various congregations across Poland.   The local authorities under the direction of the Orthodox Prelate of Kiev had begun a series of what could only be called suppressive acts against practicing Catholics and even more concerning edicts were being passed to prevent the further building of churches and taxes were being levied against existing churches.

Next came reports of a border conflict between Ukraine and his Catholic Majesty King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony, Grand Duke of Silesia, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania, and Duke of Warsaw.   There were several letters from King Frederick and that had to be addressed concerning a Ukrainian incursion into his domain and the occupation of a Church by Ukrainian troops?

Cardinal Rinaldini:  *Coughed softly* Wlodimir you must explain this to me.   Why have the Ukrainian's acted in such a fashion.   I must explain this to his Holy Father at breakfast tomorrow and I need information?

Wlodimir Ledóchowski:  What is there to say Your Eminence, information even from my network is very vague on the why even if we can provide a few more facts as to what is occurring in Poland.  The people of Poland have never been content under the Yoke of either the Russian or the Ukrainians.  It appears that someone has been encouraging them?

Cardinal Rinaldini:  And these reports of Eye Worship among the leadership of the Ukraine?  If this is true you know the Holy Father will be forced to take steps?

Wlodimir Ledóchowski:  I believe we can buy some time Your Eminence while we dispatch investigation teams to the region to gather information.  However if they are true and I can neither confirm nor deny the validity of the information then perhaps Holy Father would be justified in acting!

Cardinal Rinaldini:  Ok, so we have the people of Poland tired of being ruled from Kiev, we have the Prelate of Kiev persecuting Holy Father Church and we have very nasty rumors of actual Devil Worship among the Ukrainian Hetman!  *Stops to cough softly into a handkerchief*

Wlodimir Ledóchowski:  "Your Eminence", are you unwell perhaps we can continue this in the morning after you have rested?

Cardinal Rinaldini:  No Wlodimir at my age I need little sleep and I have to brief Holy Father in the morning.  It is simply a passing cold I will have my aide bring some hot brandy after you leave and then I will try to rest.  As I was saying I think his Holiness will need to write a letter to the Bishops of the East!  The fact that their brother in Kiev is taking actions that would severely damage the relations between themselves and Rome should be viewed with great concern.  More importantly any steps we can take to head off a conflict between Bavaria, the Hapsburgs, and perhaps the entire Curia that Rome has formed and the Ukraine and possibly Russia would best serve all or congregations?

Wlodimir Ledóchowski:  That is a very diplomatic way Your Eminence, of saying we would like you to stop persecuting Catholics before you start a war?

Cardinal Rinaldini:  *coughs while chuckling*   I see well diplomacy beats a major war in Europe!  I shudder to think of a conflict the size of the one in China taking place in Central Europe.  You were born in Poland were you not well we will need to prevent a war if at all possible.

Wlodimir Ledóchowski:   *summoning the Cardinal Aide* I will be going now Your Eminence please get your rest the church has need of your leadership and diplomacy!  *Bows and kisses the Cardinals ring as he departs*
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

ctwaterman

On This day the Twenty Sixth Day of January, in the Year of our Lord Christ Nineteen hundred and twenty to here by decree the following:

1.   That  Grand Hetman Skorapadskyi of the Ukraine is a pretender to the Crown of Ukraine and a Heretic.  He has undermined the authority of the Royal Council of Ukraine and filled its ranks with Sycophants and Heretics like himself which have moved to oppress follower of the Holy Catholic Church, instituted false preachers and ministers of impiety; abolished the sacrifice of the mass, prayers, fasts, choice of meats, celibacy, and Catholic ceremonies.

2.   That  One of the Sycophants and false preachers is the Prelate of Kiev one Anthony Khrapovitsky who in direct contradiction to the teaching of Christ has ordered the arrest, torture and murder of many servants of  the Church of Rome. In addition countless innocent women and children of all faiths, have been sacrificed to the sectarian greed of this false preacher.

3.    These wicked men united against God and Christ, with the principal aim of attacking and destroying the Church.  They seek to lead the faithful astray from the doctrine of the Church by means of a wicked, vain and corrupt philosophy.  Had either the Grand Hetman Skorpadskyi or Prelate Khrapovitsky been men of faith in full communion of the Holy Church of Rome this letter would be to inform them of their full Excommunication until such time as they recanted their actions and sought redemption for them.

4.     And also (declare) to the Catholic nobles, subjects and people of the said realm and all others who have in any way sworn oaths to the Hetman, to be forever absolved from such an oath and from any duty arising from lordship, fealty and obedience; and we do, by authority of these presents, so absolve them and so deprive the same Hetman of his pretended title to the crown and all other the above said matters. We charge and command all and singular the nobles, subjects, peoples and others afore said that they do not dare obey his orders, mandates and laws. Those who shall act to the contrary we include in the like sentence of excommunication.

5.   To those who have revolted against the Faithless and immoral orders issued by the so called Hetman and his Sycophant Prelate I offer our prayers and good wishes.  We also urge all nations of good faith and good will to intervene to prevent these heinous acts by any means possible.   The Church does not advocate war and would wish to prevent the needless loss of lives in the Ukraine and its associated territories.   The actions of a few corrupt leaders in the Ukraine have led to this crisis and we call upon the people of the Ukraine to reject those leaders and to aid in their removal in such a way as to prevent any more needless bloodshed.

Given at Saint Peters at Rome, January 26th 1920 in the 7th year of our Pontificate.
Pope Gregory XVII
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along