Started by The Rock Doctor, June 06, 2007, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

My problem with the HH series is at this point I am actively rooting for the "Peeps".  War of Honor played a big part of this and At All Costs settled it.  I so wanted the Haven assault to take down Manticore.  Also Weber needs an editor badly at least since Honor Among Enemies if not from Field of Dishonor.  Over all many of his books are hard reads other than the early ones.  His worst trait is to fall in love with numbers and firepower; you see this worst in Heirs of Empire first two books and the last two Starfire novels but its now crept into HH.

Michael

The Rock Doctor

Exactly.  Things just got bloated and battles became about massed firepower rather than individual tactics.  After a while, it's difficult to comprehend the scale of what's happening.

It happens to be the same reason I enjoyed the first Lord of the Rings movie more than the others.

Phoenix

Oh I rather like the escalation you see in the last HH books. Weber's been building up to that last battle in At All Costs and the figures are staggering indeed but there is still some tactics involved. Don't forget the series is a tale of the career of an admiral and she just had to go from individual battles as a captain to the massive wars as an admiral. I do wonder however if AAC will have a sequel. After having Honor killing off 1.7 million of her enemies in one single battle it's hard to find something to top it. ;D Of course Mesa might prove interesting - they don't respect the Eridani Edict. And produce Scrags.

Am I bloodthirsty ? Because I like John Ringo's books (the Aldenata Series) too. And Eric Flint's (Prince Roger). The former's books are leaking yellow ichor and red blood from every page, the latter's are leaking body fluids of various colours and substances from every page. And even when they cooperate (Ring of Fire) you still get casualties galore. Described in loving detail.

Oh well. I guess I have been spoiled the day my history teacher asked me to research the Battle of Kadesh. I was 14 at the time. And hooked. ;D
"Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music."
-- Tao Te Ching

Borys

Ahoj!
Battle of Kadesh ... mmmm .... off the top of my head - Hitties and Egyptians?

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Phoenix

Yeah. Some bloke called Ramses getting his behiney reamed until he got out of the ambush with a strong dose of that good old-fashioned luck and some really good troops.
Mind you... 5.000 chariots in one battle. Must have been one hell of a job for the cleaning-stable-detail.
"Those who dance are often thought mad by those who cannot hear the music."
-- Tao Te Ching

miketr

Quote from: Phoenix on August 20, 2007, 08:46:14 AM
Mind you... 5.000 chariots in one battle. Must have been one hell of a job for the cleaning-stable-detail.

They didn't clean up the horses waste or there own, hence why in those days illness killed 10 to 1 compared to battlefield losses.