The Union Fleet in Color

Started by The Rock Doctor, March 24, 2021, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

The Rock Doctor

Decided to sketch out the Hans Liedtke class sloop, since it's an interesting little hybrid of salvage/rescue vessel and patrol vessel.

Those two gun-like things forward of the after-100mm gun are water monitors for fire-fighting.  Extra boats and the towing stuff for other rescue work, and a high freeboard and superfiring forward gun to keep things dry in bad weather.  Considering they were originally designed for the Strait of Magellan and now ply the mid-Atlantic, these are probably useful features.

The Rock Doctor

Adjusted the starboard profile of CV Wrona to reflect the fact that her hanger deck floor - not the flight deck - is what's represented at 9 meters freeboard.

She looks rather thicc, as the young people say.

Jefgte

"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

The Rock Doctor

I was a bit surprised at it, but she's actually not a very large vessel, so with a minimum freeboard there is a striking resemblance.

The next one, Centaury, doesn't have quite as chunky an appearance.

The Rock Doctor

The Wspanially class pre-dreadnought (or semi-dreadnought, whatever) as built (top) and as refurbished (below).

TacCovert4

Ooh, new funnels and two new pieces of superstructure.

I wish I had that talent.  I probably need to get you to do up the Aztec Fleet now that it's drastically new and changed.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

Give me a sense of how your favorite ship would look and maybe I can try it out some time.

TacCovert4

Probably the Lake Class. 

4 Triple Turrets divided evenly fore and aft.  4 Shafts, figure 2 large funnels aft of the blocky (cube-ish Queen Anne's Mansion type) forward superstructure.  Torpedo tubes abaft the rear superfiring turret.  3 Twin 100mm deck mounts (with shields) each side amidships, 2 70mm AA guns pyramided above and between the 100s on the superstructure on each side.  6 x 30mm pintle mounts spread along the sides.  And a port and starboard catapult aft with a floatplane on each.

Color scheme is white with Aztec Green (my flag color) trim and hull bottom.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

Initial draft.

1)  I'm working from British inter-war cruisers here.

2)  I always find the Queen Anne just a bit too blocky but this is my take on it.

3)  The guns and superstructure could be compressed a bit more to provide additional deckspace at the bow and stern.

TacCovert4

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on October 09, 2023, 06:18:47 PM
Initial draft.

1)  I'm working from British inter-war cruisers here.

2)  I always find the Queen Anne just a bit too blocky but this is my take on it.

3)  The guns and superstructure could be compressed a bit more to provide additional deckspace at the bow and stern.

Probably compress it s little.   Especially for the stern for the aircraft to have more room.  From the side the superstructure would be blocky, but it is somewhat wedge shaped at the Fore. I might add a low bit of superstructure aft of the tower, like a step down.  I see Aztec ships with a bit more superstructure to allow for more ventilation given the tropical clime.  Also why white is the color instead of grey. 

The Rock Doctor

You said "Color scheme is white with Aztec Green" but that's easily fixed.

TacCovert4

No, white is the correct color.  Better in the tropics.

The Rock Doctor

TacCovert4