Testing New Default Theme

Started by Guinness, July 23, 2020, 02:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

ICQ...  I got "coupled" to Phoenix trough ICQ by a mutual friend.

Guinness

And I used to dial up to a BBS to read Usenet. I even developed a gopher 'site' once.

You younguns just don't know how good you have it.

TacCovert4

Quote from: Guinness on July 23, 2020, 05:58:25 PM
And I used to dial up to a BBS to read Usenet. I even developed a gopher 'site' once.

You younguns just don't know how good you have it.

Do you remember IRC?

We had mIRC in Iraq for chat between the various installations, CICs, squadrons, battalions, etc.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

Guinness

Quote from: TacCovert4 on July 23, 2020, 06:45:26 PM
Quote from: Guinness on July 23, 2020, 05:58:25 PM
And I used to dial up to a BBS to read Usenet. I even developed a gopher %u2018site%u2019 once.

You younguns just don%u2019t know how good you have it.

Do you remember IRC?

We had mIRC in Iraq for chat between the various installations, CICs, squadrons, battalions, etc.

Remember? I%u2019m still in IRC chats today. Slack and Discord are making them rarer and rarer though.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: maddox on July 23, 2020, 04:33:38 PM
My Email adress is from 1997.....

Mine is from 1995...
I have 'fusion'...which goes over a landline.
I have no active cell phone.

So...how it looks on the desktop is all that matters to me. :)
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

maddox

Actualy, is Foxy still our youngest?

Desertfox

I think Snip has me beat by a year. But I still remember dial-up, MSN messenger, and Myspace.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Desertfox

So tried out the new theme, it works, works great in fact for mobile, but so not fan for desktop.

Guinness

Quote from: Desertfox on July 28, 2020, 11:06:10 AM
So tried out the new theme, it works, works great in fact for mobile, but so not fan for desktop.

In case I give up on this one and keep looking: What are your concerns with it on desktop?

Desertfox

It worked fine no complaints, I just did not like the look and feel of it at all. Is there a way where you can set different themes for desktop and mobile?

Guinness

No, not really. The approach which is prevalent in the industry now is to make web apps "responsive", meaning the optimize themselves on the client-side based on screen size, etc. That's what this theme does.

I take it you are on the original default theme, the one that looks like the image I attached?

Desertfox

Guinness

Yeah, that's a port of the circa-2001ish YaBB SE theme. The software we use was essentially a rewrite of YaBB in (iirc) 2003, and it's since gone through a major revision. In short, there's no way to make that theme mobile friendly. I can look for one that is more like that one, but I doubt there's one out there.

The way you handled mobile in the early 2000s was something like WAP2, which worked great on a Blackberry. It's still enabled with the YaBB SE theme (look for the little WAP2 link in the footer of the homepage).

Jefgte

For the Byzantine Empire, I have several EXCEL (6) and WORD (2) databases and I use several windows.
I can't manage an Empire with a smartphone or a tablet.
I need a PC.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf