Tales of the Aztec Sultanate

Started by TacCovert4, June 17, 2020, 11:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: TacCovert4 on February 14, 2024, 06:55:03 AM
May 19th, 1930

Princess Anacaona, in a cream colored gown, walks over to King Gunter III Vasa's table.  In the back of her mind she can still hear her mother's chiding last night; "A princess of the Sultanate should behave more like a lady and less like a frontier cavalry trooper!  You will not go off embarrassing this family, or the heir apparent to one of our important trading partners!" rung in her ears.  Her shawl is of a blue that one could call a suspiciously Vilnius hue.  "Is this seat taken?" she asks Prince Piotr.   

"...No, it isn't," Piotr replied.  Feeling the weight of his father's gaze on him, he added, "Please."  And then stood to seat her like a gentleman would.

"Good evening, Dear," Queen Sophie said.

"Your Highness," Queen Christine said.

"Lovely of you to come join us.  I understand you had a lovely time at the stables," Princess Edyta gushed.

TacCovert4

Princess Anacaona gives a look of excitement, followed instantly by one of embarrassment and then her mien settles again.  "It was a lovely time.  Prince Piotr did quite well for his first turn at the skill at arms course, and on a borrowed horse no less" she says, tucking an errant curl behind her ear.

Edyta looks to say something else, but flashes of stern looks from both Queens cause her to studiously observe her plate as their first course is set. 

"Your Majesty" she says, looking at Queen Sophie "I am led to believe this is your first trip to our part of the world.  How are you enjoying it?".

Giving her a moment to formulate a response, she turns to Piotr.  "And aside from my brother and his flying friends visiting, I believe this is your first experience with Aztecs.  I assure you, we are not all as, erm, vigorously confident as my brother, though as you saw yesterday our culture encourages the martial pursuits amongst both sexes, a curse of being too long surrounded by enemies instead of allies." she says demurely.
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: TacCovert4 on February 15, 2024, 07:52:24 AM
"Your Majesty" she says, looking at Queen Sophie "I am led to believe this is your first trip to our part of the world.  How are you enjoying it?".

Giving her a moment to formulate a response, she turns to Piotr.  "And aside from my brother and his flying friends visiting, I believe this is your first experience with Aztecs.  I assure you, we are not all as, erm, vigorously confident as my brother, though as you saw yesterday our culture encourages the martial pursuits amongst both sexes, a curse of being too long surrounded by enemies instead of allies." she says demurely.
"It's been very nice," Sophie replied.  "I confess I am tiring quickly each day, but I was warned that it might be the case at this altitude."

Aspas did not comment.

"This is a first for all of us," Piotr said.  "Except Uncle.  Oh, and Father.  I keep forgetting about that cruise so long ago."

"I still regret that we were unable to complete it with your father," Christine pronounced.

"You've certainly had more trouble with your neighbours over the past few decades than we, but we do have the Horde on our eastern flank.  Eventually they'll rouse themselves and get up to trouble once again," Wiktor said to the princess.  "At that point, we might find it necessary to reframe our own view of female roles in society.  What do you think, Piotr?"

"Maybe?" the crown prince replied.

Kaiser Kirk

Iskandar had been finding the novelty of not being the center of attention rather refreshing, as it had been decades since he took the throne. The seating of his Sister and her betrothed was a touch by the Sultan that he noted and appreciated.  The arrangement allowed for an informal mingling, and Iskandar and Zenobia took advantage. Iskandar's elderly Aunt Isais drifted away to spend time with various other parties.  Zenobia was the one that pointed out that throughout the time here eddies of Parthian noble representatives first stopped to great Iskandar, before excusing themselves and being sure to pay their respects to the varied Houses assembled here. The lack of Deccan representatives was unfortunate, but the confederation had difficulties acting as a group.  Perhaps trade with Laksmanavati and Rajasthan would improve, though the economics of long oceanic travel made stimulating trade with Wilno and the Norse more difficult.

While some spices had crossed between continents long long ago, the style of seasoning on the dishes was pleasantly different than home, and Iskandar was intrigued by the results that would come from sending some cooks across the oceans to study and adopt some culinary choices. The venison was tasty, but all of them were more intrigued by the non-pig, the "Peccary", which did prove to be delicious.

Enjoying their repast with Ali and Shirin,  for Zenobia and Iskandar, it was an opportunity to gently
interrogate him one last time just before the wedding, a conversation which eventually turned to Ali's passion, aeronautics.  Responding to his question, Iskandar allowed himself to muse :

"Actually I'm rather intrigued. There are no currently aerial teams in Parthia, though the military does practice similar.  In the first decade of my reign there were traveling performers did daredevil stunts at festivals, such as you saw at Resht, but several died in crashes, and one shed its wings and plowed into the crowd with dire consequences, after which the House passed a bill to ban such. In recent years, other nations have formed aerial military drill teams, but I have yet to have occasion to witness one, so it will be novel. Perhaps it is something that should be introduced in Parthia as well.  When I agreed to allow the Navy to establish the Naval Air Service, one of my hopes was that the Army Air Service and Naval Air Service would...encourage each other.. to better performance.  We route all the initial pilot candidates through the same school, but they return to their own branches afterwards, with no further interaction. Would you consider a National Aeronautic Troop with competitive slots for both Army and Naval services, or competing Lances to be the best model to encourage innovation and improvement?"
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

TacCovert4

Princess Anacaona replied "I am sorry that the climate has not yet agreed with you, your majesty.  I am sure you are eager to get back down on the coastal plain for the fleet review then.  That should only be a couple of days from now."

Turning towards Wiktor and Piotr, she smiled.  "If they are indeed as numerous and vicious in battle as my tutor's books seem to believe, I could see a situation where the Union might need to draw upon its full strength in a war.  There are doubtless any number of young ladies who would serve if given the opportunity.  Of course certain considerations have to be made, such as leaves of absence to have and wean children, but we have found that it not only gives the Sultanate more people in uniform for emergencies, it fosters a general sense of national pride across the entire Sultanate.  Fathers who were not blessed with sons do not consider themselves second class, for their daughters can achieve and inherit."

She continues, "But of course, Prince Wiktor, certain social proprieties should be observed, even if both parties consider themselves equals.  For instance, if Prince Piotr would like to dance, he has but to ask"
His Most Honorable Majesty,  Ali the 8th, Sultan of All Aztecs,  Eagle of the Sun, Jaguar of the Sun, Snake of the Sun, Seal of the Sun, Whale of the Sun, Defender of the Faith, Keeper of the Teachings of Allah most gracious and merciful.

TacCovert4

Ali mulls over the Emperor's question for a moment before responding.  "I believe that if you have multiple services, then each should have its own demonstration team.  To clarify what the demonstration will be, or rather what it will not be, it will not be a 'barnstorming' if you will of highly irregular and dangerous maneuvers flown by nigh suicidal daredevils.  Rather, it will be a demonstration of formation flying and maneuvers used by actual combat aircraft, only performed with the high polish of an incredibly well-drilled squadron."  He continues, "We did much the same as you did, separating the Royal Naval Air Service from the Royal Air Force.  Iron sharpens iron as it were, and the needs of the purely land-based air force differ too drastically from a maritime air force.  For instance, the RAF has no need for a carrier aircraft, while the Navy needs any of its non-floatplane single-engine aircraft to be carrier capable.  The Navy needs long range above all else in its patrol aircraft, while the Air Force itself can sacrifice range for bomb load in a bombing aircraft.  One other thing is that we are currently testing a bomber that deploys its bomb in a steep dive, and can double as a fighter.  This is an aircraft the Air Force simply doesn't need, having bombers and fighters and land bases which can hold dozens of squadrons."

Seeing some others at the table were not grasping his meaning, Ali continues a bit more boldly.  "A Ground aviator and a naval aviator both have to navigate, fly, etc.  And both services need photo recce.  In air combat both sides are going to put up fighters.  But past this their roles can diverge greatly.  An Air Force fighter pilot might get word from a forward observer and then take off and get to altitude to intercept.  A naval aviator might get a quarter of that warning to launch into the air and intercept an incoming threat.  An Air Force bomber squadron is primarily concerned with engaging fixed targets like rail infrastructure, supply dumps, and so on.  A Naval squadron, they have to know how to attack a battleship, a carrier, a cruiser, as well as land targets.  And their primary targets are moving and maneuvering actively to avoid being hit.  It is a completely different method of warfare, and I have done both.  So two services make the most sense, as you would not want the skillset of a highly practiced bomber pilot who level bombs from five thousand feet to be wasted on low level torpedo bombing in a squadron command, and equally you do not want a torpedo bomber pilot becoming commander of a strategic squadron when he gets promoted."

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: TacCovert4 on February 17, 2024, 05:49:15 PM
Princess Anacaona replied "I am sorry that the climate has not yet agreed with you, your majesty.  I am sure you are eager to get back down on the coastal plain for the fleet review then.  That should only be a couple of days from now."

Turning towards Wiktor and Piotr, she smiled.  "If they are indeed as numerous and vicious in battle as my tutor's books seem to believe, I could see a situation where the Union might need to draw upon its full strength in a war.  There are doubtless any number of young ladies who would serve if given the opportunity.  Of course certain considerations have to be made, such as leaves of absence to have and wean children, but we have found that it not only gives the Sultanate more people in uniform for emergencies, it fosters a general sense of national pride across the entire Sultanate.  Fathers who were not blessed with sons do not consider themselves second class, for their daughters can achieve and inherit."

She continues, "But of course, Prince Wiktor, certain social proprieties should be observed, even if both parties consider themselves equals.  For instance, if Prince Piotr would like to dance, he has but to ask"
"I do enjoy a good review," Sophie nodded.  "All the ships beautifully painted and polished, all the sailors in their dress whites.  It sets the heart a-flutter, I dare say."

Wiktor and Gunther's eyebrows rose.

Sophie cleared her throat.  "Piotr, dear, perhaps you should ask the lady to dance?"

Piotr looked to his grandmother, then his father, then to Anacaona.  "Would you like to dance?" he asked.

TacCovert4

"Well your Majesty, you should enjoy tomorrow, with all of my brother's fellow officers in their dress uniforms." Anacaona says with a smile.  "Why, prince Piotr, of course I would love to dance."

Anacaona takes the proffered hand, and then sweeps Piotr onto the floor into a waltz.  "I hear you like battleships?" She asks, rhetorically,  "father is building a new fast one, almost sixty thousand tons.  I can take you to the dock it's being built in if you like?"

The Rock Doctor

"Of course I like battleships," Piotr said, as if there was some fourteen year-old boy who wouldn't like battleships.  Aeroplane fans, perhaps, but they were stupid.  "Sixty thousand tonnes?  Are you...that seems large.  Is that full load?  I would be interested, yes."

"That was quite the little charm offensive," Sophie mused as the Vasas watched Piotr and Anacaona* move around the floor.

"He's always been good with the waltz," Christine said approvingly. 

"I meant the princess, Dear."

"Oh, I know, I'm just saying Piotr mastered the waltz early and it shows," Christine said.

"I don't know if she likes him or if she's carrying out her own instructions to play nice," Gunther remarked.

"Probably yes," Aspas said.

"I don't know whether it's the same with him," Gunther added.

"He's playing nice, mostly," Sophie said.  "He may warm up to her, we'll see.  Do we know how old she is?"

"We are not worrying about matchmaking right now, Mother," Gunther said. 

"Worrying is not the same as wondering," Sophie chided.  "She's royal, she has status, she's well-educated and pretty.  The only issue is her religion, and even that can be worked around."

"...Quite," Wiktor said.

Aspas did not comment.

"Edyta, you've not danced for some time," Christine said.

"If somebody asks, I'll dance," the princess shrugged.  "I'm not on a mission, Mother."

*Apologies in advance for when I inevitably spell it Anaconda.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: TacCovert4 on February 17, 2024, 05:56:52 PM
Ali mulls over the Emperor's question for a moment before responding.  ..

Iskandar considered Ali's comments.
"Interesting, the debates among the various  services regarding a separate air arm for the Navy were quite bitter, but it was interviews with lead pilots that influenced me the most, they were most certain, as are you. However, unlike yourself, they do not have the opportunity to switch between Services after basic pilot training.   Everyone, from lowest to highest, starts in the same National Service, those who demonstrate  sufficient physical and mental qualities can choose military service, go through basic training, and move to their more specialized schools, which is the last those who wish to be pilots and
aircrew train as one. Afterwards their services administer the training for their specialized craft. Again, much as you elaborate, there are a disturbing number of air frames relying on various engines for the various specialties, as apparently the Navy needs stronger planes, and they require replacement at a rate the finance minister finds most disconcerting. There is a side benefit as it keeps multiple manufactures innovating. We are taught to embrace knowledge and the new, for it brings choices ...<smiles at Ali>, 

But it is the Aerial teams you describe that  we all of shall enjoy.  That is certainly nothing we have seen the like of, and I expect that there may come a time in the near future that Parthia will host it's own teams. <Looking to Zenobia>, I expect we shall have a conversation later as to be the best path to the result, Imperial decrees can seem arbitrary, this seems best to have the services clamor for...
at which time Zenobia chimes in "Perhaps if we ensure the official chronicles of these days are widely circulated?" ... both Iskandar and Shirin smile and Iskandar replies "Ah, green eyed envy will rise to the task".

TacCovert4

Princess Anacaona smiles at his response.  "That is the light tonnage."  She chuckles "Yes I'm familiar with naval terminology.  After all, Father served on HMS Tenochtitlan before he took the throne.  My brother loves aeroplanes.  I'm going to be the first captain of a battleship from the family."  Piotr looks at her in shock.  "I thought you were training for the cavalry".  Anacaona makes a little 'pfft' motion with her fingers.  "Horseback riding is something every noblewoman knows how to do, and most of us can do the skill at arms course.  I have my choices of university or the academy in two years.  I've chosen the Naval Academy at Veracruz."  They continue to dance, Piotr learning that Anacaona fell in love with the big guns when her father took her on a short sail aboard HMS Monarch several years ago, watching gunnery practice with the 360mm guns from the flag bridge. 

At the Parthian table, Ali concurs with Zenobia's thoughts.  "There are a number of Parthian pilots who will be in attendance for the fleet review if nothing else.  And there will be air demonstrations with that review.  I believe you will be delighted to your own air demonstration before the year is out.  I would not be surprised if one is not put on when Shirin and I make it to Parthia on our honeymoon cruise.  But yes, there are vast differences between land and carrier aircraft.  And we have even found that flying boats and floatplanes can be far more efficiently used by officers who specialize in their employment.  The new flying boats coming into service soon will be replacing the Cuckoo for coastal defense torpedo bomber.  Far better utility, two torpedoes or depth charges, just an all around better coastal patrol aircraft."

TacCovert4

May 20th, 1930

The morning broke clear, with just a few high clouds glowing red as the sun rose over Tenochtitlan. 

In the palace, indeed the entire Old City, the air was abuzz, as if a hive of bees were busily making honey.  Hundreds, thousands of servants, workers, soldiers, and functionaries rushed about as the final preparations were made, and every conceivable contingency prepared for. 

Ali was hurriedly rushed out of his quarters as soon as he had breakfast and dressed in his finest dress whites, with all of his medals, and his royal sash with its own adornments, had been donned.  His promises to not set foot in the Parthian wing of the palace, lest he accidentally view the bride, fell on deaf ears as he was rushed into a car and driven to the Mosque along with his groomsmen.  Outside, the crowds were already thronging to the barricades, with what had to be an entire brigade of Eagle Warriors stern gazes maintaining a sense of propriety from the well-wishers eager to see the heir apparent's wedding. 

Extending from the front of the Mosque, the grand boulevard, every tree and bush neatly trimmed, extended for miles to the Old City, the square filling as the variety of units participating in the parade formed up, regimental colors and bands at the ready.  Snake Warriors and Queen Fatima's Light Cavalry ahorse.  Eagle, Jaguar, and Seal Warriors in their own distinctive uniforms and baldrics afoot.  Falcon Warriors, the society that blends both the RAF and RNAS as a professional organization under the falcon wings of pilothood, in their variety of dress uniforms, swords ready to make the arch for the happy couple as they exit to their own carriage.  The Apache Rangers were also present in a place of honor, their service to the couple honored by their position as an honor guard around the golden carriage, their uniforms festooned with ceremonial items and headdress for the occasion.  Carriages for the Parthian and Aztec monarchs in places of honor, carriages for other visiting monarchs, and a few other ranking nobles and guests. 

The other notables, ushered by staff, get into cars for the drive to the Mosque, Shirin's car one with windows covered by curtains to veil the bride from the ever-curious onlookers (prepped for Kirk)

"Unfortunately, it is not our lot to have quiet weddings in quiet places like Arizona" Ali says to Wiktor as they wait for the proceedings to begin.  "You and I have different definitions of Arizona being quiet, I recall quite a day of gunfire" Wiktor jokes back.  Ali smiles, both men instinctively touching their legs that had taken bullets over the past few years.  "You do have a point.  I have made changes.  And with that particular ring of traitors run to ground, Arizona is going to be a wonderful place to raise a family.  You and Aspas must come join us once we've settled in"

The Rock Doctor

"We'll absolutely come and visit.  It's always good to get out this way," Wiktor said to Ali.  "I'm happy for you two.  You're going to be an amazing couple."

Ali grinned.  "Thank you.  I have to admit, in the early days, I wondered if we would be competing for Shurin's hand."

"I wondered that myself," Wiktor replied.  "And there was certainly family pressure along those lines.  Status aside, she's a hell of a woman.  But the universe had other plans - and just as well, really, because how in the hell would I compete with a barnstormer like you?"

"Bah, you could learn to fly easily enough.  In fact, I could requisition a trainer and get you started when you come visit," Ali suggested.

Wiktor grimaced.  "Gonna have to get clearance from my personal physician before I can take you up on that."

"Would she have a strong opinion on that?"

"She might.  I can't say it's ever come up in conversation, and she knows that military service has its risks, but she might not consider flying lessons to be a necessary risk."

"I can work up a few arguments in favor," Ali said.  "Are you happy, the two of you?"

"We are," Wiktor said.  "I've had it easier than her, but she's getting used to things.  Family's still a challenge but we get space and now that I'm cleared to return to duty maybe we'll even deploy somewhere away from my dear kin."

Ali smiled.  "Any preferences?"

"Africa sounds interesting," Wiktor said.  "Oh, by the way, your little sister has offered my nephew a visit to wherever you guys are building a sixty thousand tonne battleship.  Maybe that's already been approved by your father or the navy or maybe she's really got the authority to do that - Piotr wouldn't - but I was curious to know if you knew.  Plus that's a really damned big battleship and I'm sure my own navy is dying to know more."

TacCovert4

"Good Hunting in Africa I hear" Ali replies.  He looks at Wik quizzically at the mention of the ship.  "Either she sees something in Piotr, or mother's scolding after she invited him to ride with a half-dozen medal-winning troopers was taken to heart." he smiles, indicating that yes he knew his little sister had taken the opportunity to bruise the princeling's ego.  "But you know how women are Wik, they have far more control of situations than they let us believe.  I'm not sure if the battleship tour was approved, but she won't reveal any national secrets certainly.  Royal Sovereign is merely a builder's model at the constructor's office, and a collection of steel and blocks in the empty drydock.  The barrels for the 450s are complete, so he can enjoy those, he could even crawl inside.  While I appreciate the concept, and my sister is absolutely beside herself ever since being aboard Monarch when she was doing gunnery practice, I believe the 360s are sufficient and these new guns are a bit of a consolation prize for the battleship faction in the navy.  But then I might be biased."

Kaiser Kirk

The two carriages with the Parthian party arrived with fanfare. Attendants lining the walking path scattered flowers across the path as they arrived.  The golden filigreed doors of the lead carriage door parted as the door glided open. Shahahan Iskandar, bearer of far to many titles, was first to descend, resplendent in his richly embroidered robes of state. On his head he ware a the deep purple rounded miter cap  which formed the foundation for the Parthian crown. Adorning his brow was the sunburst crest on a golden crown formed by four tiers of diadems embellished by pearls and bands of scallops, while the eight solar rays of the sunburst were resplendent with jewels.  Queen Zenobia was next to alight, and the two then awaited the opening of the second carriage. The doors to the second carriage parted, and the stairs came down, allowing Princess Isais Arshakuni to alight, Aunt to the Bride and matron of honor, she like the other two was dressed in formal silken robes of state with her personal honor sash, worn over the her matrons gown.  The grand entrance was next, for the Bride, Princess Shirin Arshakuni of House Arascid, depended from the carriage. Each wore pinned to their shoulders the traditional wedding motif of a spray of flowers, and each held a bouquet.

A tall conical headdress, wreathed in a gauzy veil wound around it was atop her head. A crenelated diadem sat at it's base, adorned with polished jewels and from the rear dangled silken ribbons. The traditional robe and sash were tokens in diaphanous layers of silk, layered over a shimmering petal-like gown of vibrant colors. In accordance with Parthian traditions, the differing layers were dyed in brilliant colors, in her case, the the petals of the gown in white and yellow, piped in red, with a deep green underlayment, the colors paying tribute to the Aztec palette.  Bracelets of of jewels adorned her wrists, while a honor dagger in a golden sheath dangled from a filigreed golden belt. One hand clutching her own bouquet, the other hiked the hem of her skirt, exposing her creamy hose as she carefully took the steps out of the carriage and onto the pavement. From there, the ensemble skimmed the pavement, revealing only a peek at her golden sandals as she confidently strode forward on the petals. The Shahahan and his Queen led the way, with Shirin and finally Isais trailing, proceeding to the site fo the Aghd (ceremony). Inside, the witnesses of the Seven Families awaited inside, the elderly leaders of the Seven or their prime heirs would bear witness to the royal wedding.