Main Menu

Italian News, 1900 onward

Started by Kaiser Kirk, August 19, 2014, 11:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rock Doctor

Excellent - competition from two sets of foreigners with poor haggling skills can only be a good thing for Africa.

Kaiser Kirk

OOC : Well I'm on Christmas break and brought my laptop, so I can fit in some writing. Unfortunately, I don't have time to work up the internal discussions about how folks view colonies, but mostly done with the one on Greece
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Kaiser Kirk

More OOC stuff

On the Kingdom of Greece

King : Yes. Gentlemen, if I may draw your attention to the next folder.
As you are all undoubtedly aware, the Queen is quite keen on an alliance with Greece, and I rather expect my father in law would welcome one as well.

Dispassionately, Greece is a poor ally, literally.  Their economy is limited, their army marginally equipped, their navy dwarfed by the Ottomans, while their seacoast is extensive. The reality is that the, oh shall we say glamor of Greek civilization fires those of Garibaldi's mindset. The last time a Greco-Ottoman war loomed we all saw the clamor in the streets and the thousands who stepped forward to join the Greeks.  This is not entirely a desirable state of affairs. As the dear Admiral has observed, Korfu is quite desirable, and the Ionian isles would still be ours if not for Napoleon's destruction of the Republic of Venice. Further, their claims on such islands as Rhodes conflict with ours.

Prime Minister: Sire, if I may,  Far to many of our people see parallels in the rebirth of Greece and Italy.  Should there be a Greco-Ottoman war, there would be great pressure both on the street and within my own house to join the Greeks, no matter if it served Italia's interests. I doubt there is much public support for wresting the Ionians from Greece, no matter how weak Greece is, and that is not to mention the English reaction.

King : That is correct.  War to wrest them from Greece would be severely unpopular. As an ally, Greece is a useful foil against the Ottomans, perhaps a source of a causus bellli, but is militarily weak and lacks the ability to tip the balance against the Ottomans. Given the bankruptcy of the Greek state just some years ago, I do not foresee that rapidly changing.

Foreign Minister : Sire, if I may, I would observe that there is a certain contingent of the Greek polity which are at risk for, shall we say, ill considered actions. Alliance may place us at risk of being dragged into conflict unprepared.

King : Just so, but difficult to explain to the Queen. So, we face a difficult problem, we may not gain our desire by force, nor is it wise to attempt to gain our desire as the price of alliance. What we need is the islands and a base at Korfu, what they need is revenue to improve the foundation of their state.

Treasury Minister : Sire, I..

King : Yes, yes, I am aware our accounts are hardly sufficient to prop up Greece, or even build the base at Korfu, but I do believe your projections show this may change in the next decade.

Treasury Minister :  Well Sire, we fervently hope so, but we can't promise such. It's a combination of economic theories and historical analysis, and

King : * waves the minster to silence * yes, yes I am well aware.  It is however, the gamble on which I have staked our course.  In regards to Greece, it means we are not in a position to move forward. As such we will not concern ourselves with either regaining the Ionians or using Greece as a stalking horse to provide a war and the Aegean islands from the Ottomans.  It may well be that some years from now, we will be in a position to consider those things, but in the near term we shall focus on forging links other than Military or Economic, laying the groundwork for that future, but we shall not be dragged in.

To that end, my family will annually vacation in Greece, and the children will learn Ancient Greek. We shall offer spots in the Academies and our universities to prominent Greeks, and I would like to explore if there are any goods may be candidates for lowered tariffs to spur trade.  The foreign policy of our Kingdom will be to be supportive and friendly towards Greece, but to maintain official separation until an alliance would offer something of merit to our Kingdom.

I will expect presentations on how to achieve these military and economic overtures, shall we say in a fortnight.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Kaiser Kirk on December 27, 2014, 01:12:06 AM
Las Khorey, capital of the Warsangali Sultanate
The arrival of the large Italian warships was the source of some excitement in the ancient harbor, and in the fortress behind it. The Italians, having received permission to come ashore, disembark and request an audience with the Sultan, Mohamoud Ali Shire, at his majesty's conveiniance.

Sultan Mohamoud Ali Shire patiently bore the cacaphony of the Italian band as the little procession of Italian Marines proceded the Important ones.  The Marines were, he supposed, finely garbed, and marched with great precision, but the "music" was not to his taste.  After they had smartly ceased making noise and split to stand at attention on both sides of the road, the important ones came forward and were introduced. A "Prince Scipione Borghese" and a "Minister Guiscard Bustari " with their translator and two aide-de-campes.

Minister Bustari announced they had gifts for the Sultan, and the aide-de-campes brought forward a very nicely carved and inlaid wooden box. The Sultan, much pleased with the box, signaled his attendant to receive it.  The Italians then interuppted and pronounce that the contents to the box were rare gifts from far far away, long traditional in the Arab world, and brought to show their regard. Disappointed that the box may not be the gift, the Sultan waited.  The box was then opened to reveal a golden medallion and what looked like frankensince and myrrh. 

The Italians then duly informed him it was indeed such. Which the Sultan found curious, did they not know that Myrrh and Frankensince were harvested here, neither was very rare or distant....no, listening to them babble on through their translator, it would appear they thought these precious. Hmm, perhaps a trade opportunity to make obsene profits from the infindel ?

The Sultan spoke : How generous of you to bring such a fine medallion, and am I to understand you are here to barter for incense?

The Italians looked at each other in confusion :  Minister Bustari : "Why no your excellency, why so ever do you ask? And we have one last gift, a wheellock pistol, inlaid with pearl, made for the Doge of Venice in 1524."

The Sultan looked at them, feigning confusion : "I do not understand, this does not look like the pistols you or your guards bear, You bring before me a childs toy?"

Minister Bustari, fearful of having mistepped, proclaims " Why yes your excellency, for your son".

To which the Sultan replies "First you bring me a toy, and then you mock my lack of a son  ?"

Prince Borghese : "Um, uh, No you Excellency, of course not, we uh, we bring it in confidence that a son will be born to you and have use of it."

Sultan :  "Well then. Let me see your pistol so I can compare"
< Prince Borghese hurridly produces his revolver, a service issued Schmidt 10.4mm,  and hands it over. >
<The Sultan examines the revolver carefully, pulls his from his sash and compares them, then places both in his sash.>

Sultan: "This will do, I will require 1,000 rounds of ammunition as well. In that manner I shall have one for every soldier you bring to my Sultanate"

Prince Borghese: "Oh no your Excellency, our ships are but cruisers, not transports, they carry only a platoon of Marines, perhaps 50..
Minister Bustari : "only a couple of our largest ships can carry a 1,000 troops, and we would not insult you by bringing such."

The Sultan comtemplated the answer, he did not believe the Italians were cleverly misleading him, but if the information was correct, they claimed they could move several thousand troops by sea, and that the brightly painted gunned behemoths in the harbor were not their largest vessels.

Sultan : "Then I am mollified.  So, you come to bargin for Frankensince and Myrhh ?"

Minister Bustari  :  "No your Excellency, we come to bargin for the port of Berbera. For our Navy and Merchants, we require a secure port and coaling station, so we seek to obtain title to the town and port of Berbera, the waters leading to it, and all lands within 4 parasangs (23 km radius, and about 30km deep to the watershed divide) of those territories.

Sultan : The Land of the Prophet may not be sold.... but it may be leased, but what you ask is large, and I will have many conditions....

As the Italians return to their vessels, Minister Bustari shakes his head over the price, "A brigade worth of troops equipped and trained shall not be cheap. His Majesty will not be pleased.
Prince Borghese : "The Brigade?  What the other parts?"
Minister Bustari : "Oh, I figure that's better than a pound of flesh carved from my backside for not obtaining the base."
Prince Borghese : "Do you know what this fair is he spoke of?  Or how much we loose by having an untaxed road to it, and across Berbera"
Minister Bustari : "Not a clue, but that is for whomever is tasked as govenor to find out. "
Prince Borghese : " I take it the plan is to return to Berbera and unload the Engineers from Carbonia, and await one of the dispatch brigs?"
Minister Bustari : "Indeed, one of the Partenope class is due inside the week, and can carry our news back. "

After the Italians depart, the Sultan waves forward one of the more grandly robed attendees "My Son, tell me of your impressions, and please, take your fancy toy pistol."

Walter

QuoteAs the Italians return to their vessels, Prince Borghese shakes his head over the price, "A brigade worth of troops equipped and trained shall not be cheap. His Majesty will not be pleased.
It'll be cheaper if he goes for a lower tech level unit. :)

The Rock Doctor

That seems to have gone swimmingly.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on January 03, 2015, 03:46:47 PM
That seems to have gone swimmingly.

Well, I'm still waiting to hear what the actual price is, but the Brigade is something I offered and seems to make sense and I wanted to post something.
Since the Marines are equipped to 1895 specs, the rifles are smokeless powder, vs. the 1880s, which weren't, so it will be an 1895 brigade.
Now I can work on the next step and the visit to Zanzibar.

Kaiser Kirk

Sultan's Palace, Stone Town, Isle of Zanzibar, Sultanate of Zanzibar.

Sayyid Hamad bin Thuwaini Al-Busaid**, 5th Sultan of Zanzibar, was very curious. The lookouts had reported by heliograph that gleaming warships flying the flag of the Kingdom Italy had passed by Pemba Island on route for Stone Town.  He had ordered his robes and crown prepared, along with his three medals, but on second thought, perhaps only the Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown of Italy should be worn, a reminder to the Italian emissaries that their King Umberto held his Sultanate in regard. Still, he was uneasy with the reports of 4 vessels, two gleaming and heavily gunned, a third more mercantile in appearance, with an older armed brig following several hours behind. After consideration, he decided to greet the Italian Captains in grand style.

Later, the Sultan watched through his spyglass as the Italian vessels entered the harbor.  The two warships were accompanied by a portly merchant. He wondered where the reported brig was as he glassed the warships. As the first slid into it's berth adjacent to his flagship- the Royal Yacht HHS Glasgow (a  English frigate built & fitted for the Sultan), the gleaming ships were easily half again as large as his lone naval vessel. The midships of the vessels bore a stretch of unbroken hull along the midships waterline, bespeaking armor. 

While his Glasgow bore seven 9pdrs (4") and nine Gatling guns, the new arrivals carried 6 massively larger cannon (7.6"/45), 10 guns equal or larger in bore (4.7/45) to his 9pdrs, and nine smaller cannons- though larger than his Gatling guns. Each of the Italian cruisers bore more firepower than his Harbor could bring to bear. Even the merchant appeared heavily armed, with 6 of the midsized cannon (4.7/45), and some small cannons similar in size to the Gatling guns. The vessels were larger than the Portuguese Adamastor and of size with the  British Apollo cruisers that passed through these waters. 

The Sultan waved his hand, sending his Dewan on his way to invite the new arrivals to a feast.
Ultimately surprised to find not just Captains arriving, but formal emissaries, but honored the Italians would send one of Noble blood in this "Prince" Borghese, and his adjunct, Minister Bustari, he put off the gift giving until later, choosing to display the bountiful food, and the lovely dancing maidens of his Sultanate. The Italians found, much to their delight, that the local Imman, rejecting his immediate predecessor's stance, had given a special dispensation to allow the Sultan to serve alcohol in his home. The Italians reciprocated by getting rather drunk and regaling the Sultan with tales of events in Europe and their voyages to Egypt, and thence to the Warsangali Sultanate and the deal struck there, and the Sultan found their drunken rambling of interest. The evening ended with great camaraderie and promises of reciprocal tours, business, and then another banquet. 

**Technically he had been poisoned by then, but the events involved the British and their protectorate, which are not present here, nor have the Coastal colonies been given over to the Germans, in which case I'm presuming his cousin did not see an opportunity to poison him.

Kaiser Kirk

The Next Morning, the two plenipotentiaries, and their little Marine band, marched to the Sultan's palace to present his Majesty with the gifts they brought.
Prince Borghese : "You Excellency, our King sends you these tokens of his esteem, along with his wishes for your long health and prosperity. "

The Sultan eyed the very nicely carved box with it's contents of tree and shrub sap scraped up on the horn of Africa, a couple days sail away. He was aware of the Magi gifts in the Christian bible, but was unsure if presenting Frankincense and Myrrh to a Muslim was a calculated offense, or a badly thought out one.  When presented with the antique pistol from Venice which apparently was only one of a set of two, he concluded they were simply poorly thought out, though the engraving and gold on the ancient pistol was nice- why only one?

The day commenced with a tour of Stone Town and the Island of Zanzibar, then, the Sultan was given the tour of the cruiser Marco Polo, and as he had requested, a voyage across the strait to Bagamoyo, the trip passing with impressive speed and lasting only a quarter past the hour. A tour of Bagamoyo included a noon meal with the Sultan's Dewan here, the majority of the party choosing the Pweza wa nazi, but the Prince professed a dislike of tentacles, so some Boku-boku  was hurriedly fetched from a street vendor, which the Prince silently endured the of mysterious and oddly tasting meat doused in flaming hot spices. The Afternoon saw a return to Stones Town on board the Marco Polo and a banquet at the Sultans palace, for which the Prince excused himself, citing a stomach ailment.

The next morning was dedicated to business. The Sultan received his guest, Minister Bustari, and after breaking bread, business is discussed.

The Minister, after a long and tedious exercise in lavishing compliments on the Sultanate, eventually comes to the heart of the matter :  "History informs us that in 1505, the Portuguese brought the downfall of the Kilwa Sultanate, when they deposed  Emir Ibrahim and installed their own puppet in his place. If our information is correct, at that time the Emir laid claim to not only the prosperous land you rule, but also Portuguese East Africa and the coastline between, once known as Querimba. The Emir was avenged by your predecessors of the Omani Empire, the Portuguese were driven south to their current East African Territories which encroach only on the southern portion of Querimba. Half a century ago, when your esteemed Ancestor, the 1st Sultan of Zanzibar, Sayyid Majid bin Said Al-Busaid, split the Omani Empire with his brother, this land was no longer claimed.

Now, neither the Portuguese nor the Sultanate of Zanzibar lays claim to the area betwixt the two. Our King has communicated with his Cousin*, who confirmed the Portuguese claim is as mapped.  As Such the Kingdom of Italy believes that the title to that territory is either unclaimed, but that is for you to say.  If it is indeed, unclaimed, we shall claim it. However, if our friend the Sultan of Zanzibar believes that title is unclaimed but his to bequeath, then we would like to proffer compensation to ensure the territory is bequeathed to the Kingdom of Italy.

The Territory we refer to is the region bordering Portuguese East Africa to the South, Extending west to the peaks of the mountains West of Lake Nyassa (Malawi) such that the entire lake region is encompassed, then North to the tip of the lake, and lastly we ask for the honor of obtaining title to only a sliver of the southernmost holdings of Zanzibar, such that the basin of the Rovuma River falls within the new lands, while all lands and waters north of that watershed remain in the Sultanate's hands.  Your Majesty, we recognize this would be a sacrifice, but we are prepared to be generous if you are willing to grant our claim.
<the minister produces a map>

As he leaned forward to gaze on the map, the Sultan's eyes flickered, as a curious symbol, unknown to all present, appeared : $$
...and the Sultan proceeded to explain at length the great sorrow his people felt at having been driven away from their land, and how he had been planning to just next year commence development of the coastal areas, and what a great sacrifice... Minister Bustari did not return to his rooms until quite late that night.

*The Queen Mother of Portugal is Italian by birth.

The Next morning, Minister Bustari, combating a bursting head, found a still slightly greenish Prince Borgehese already at the breakfast table nursing a cup. The Prince was still conspicuously not eating, only weakly poking the "food" before him, but mustered the energy to ask "So, how did it go, do you think there is a chance of purchasing the claim".

Minister Bustari replied "I believe I underestimated the power of those beverages....but yes, was able to come to an agreement.  My secretary wrote it up" <waves at his secretary>
Prince Borgehese: "Good sir, I would be pleased to see the agreement"
<the Secretary departs and returns, handing several pieces of paper to the Prince>

Prince Borgehese : "Let me see, in exchange for...well it looks like we got what was asked.. but there are some new terms here, um, third party surveyor of borders, freedom of the practice of Islam, dual citizenship for Zanzibar citizens in the transferred lands, not unreasonable. Free trade for ten years will not cripple us, oh and you obtained warehousing rights in the Ports of Zanzibar, including Lindi, excellent, and we shall improve, quite a list,  good lord man, how much infrastructure did you agree to build, oh, and I see there's a military component...A Brigade, a Marine regimen...An Armored Cruiser ?!?

A wane looking Minister Bustari said "I remembering promising to match what the Warsangalis got, and then he went on about his yacht and said the Marco Polo would make a great gift to seal the deal, and I think I said offered it, and he said done..."

"You Gave away a Cruiser !!!"

"... Only if his Majesty signs the treaty"

The Rock Doctor

Oh my.

That's further south than I thought you'd be travelling, but it looks like a good chunk of territory.

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: The Rock Doctor on January 10, 2015, 06:32:31 PM
Oh my.

That's further south than I thought you'd be travelling, but it looks like a good chunk of territory.

It's why I wanted a recoaling port at Berbera, breaks it into 2,500nm chunks. My planning earlier this year included some other spots, but I lost the paper I scribbled them on, and decided the 2500nm jump should be short enough.
Had Zanzibar not existed, I would have seized that region, but inconvieniantly I had decided the Arabs were a "Civilized" people and had to be treated with, as opposed to "Barbarians" who could just be evicted. I am pleased to convey a shroud of legitimacy on the endeavor through looking up the history.  Anyhow, this works with my future plans for 1910. By 1900 it was thought there was Iron there, so some potential value. I think the coal is mostly south in Portuguese lands, but I'm not sure. The coastal area seems to be lots of swampland....but the area is far enough south the temperatures aren't as vicious.

Darman

swamplands equals lots of malaria... and dengue fever...

Kaiser Kirk

Quote from: Darman on January 10, 2015, 10:20:11 PM
swamplands equals lots of malaria... and dengue fever...

Yep, all those lovely "diseases of Africa"
Just looking a Google Earth, there appear to be swamps ~40nm wide in the northern portion, narrowing to 10nm further south. You can see habitation just beyond that. Then the coast appears to be sand beach, not mangrove.
So, the coast proper should be ok, but then there will need to be roads/railways/barges to get into the dryer lands inland.
Historically, the northern edge should have held an Ivory port named Raptha (I would guess Lindi or maybe  Mtwara) in 100AD, the 1827 map that shows it as Querimba has the label "cannibals" for the interior (another reason to evict them), and the 1909 map has the coastal towns of Kionga, Kisanga, and Luli, showing Iron Ore and Wax as assets, with Rubber and Sesame to the north, and Rubber, Castor Oil and Nuts to the south.

Kaiser Kirk

7.15.1901 Società Italiana Bernardi of Padova has announced they will cease production of Enrioc Berardi's  engines and discontinue automobile production as well. The company cited much improved designs by competitors as reason for declining market share. The Motrice Pia tricycle bike was powered by one of, if not the the first petrol internal combustion engine, prototyped on August 5th, 1882.

Ljubljana, the capital of Carniola
The Carniola legislature voted to request Don Carlos, Duke of Madrid, to become Duke of Carniola and fill the role of head of state. The Duke was one of few who could meet the criteria of Royal Blood, being of Age, having a male heir, and being born within the borders of the Dutchy, having been born in Ljubljana.  The Duke, having been primarily raised by his Uncle, the Duke of Modena, currently abides in Varese. The Duke is well known on the world stage as the Carlist claiment to the Spanish Throne, and the Legitimist claimant to the French Thone.  The Duke's heir, Jaime de Borbon, is currently a Lieutenant Colonel in the Russian Army.  Their advocates trumpet their long list of contacts as confering legitimacy to the new state. The Duke's brother has been prominent in Germanic circles for years and is well known as the founder of the Anti-Duelist movement.

Kaiser Kirk

6.30.1901 Stone Town, Zanzibar.
Having completed negotiations with the Sultan and personally reconnoitered the coastline in question, the delegates prepare to depart.  The Sultan of Zanzibar sends a delegation to accompany Minister Bustari and Prince Borgehese.  The parties board the Marco Polo, Amergo Vespuci and Carbonia, and set sail for Rome. The brig Minerva remains behind to conduct hydrographic soundings of the new coast. While the brig was not specially fitted for such, given his training and experience, Captain Sondaggio did not feel out of his depth, and felt this task was one he could fathom.

Marco Polo, Amergo Vespuci and Carbonia, call in Las Kohrey. There, a representative of the Warsangali Sultanate joins the delegates, to represent his Sultan at Rome.

Marco Polo and accompanied by Amergo Vespuci and Carbonia, arrive at Civitavecchia, the civilian port serving Rome. The delegates transfer to the Rome–Civitavecchia railway, starting the last 50 miles for Rome.

Disclaimer : Note the presentation of the Kingdom of Italy is an exploration of the ideas of the time period, not the beliefs of the Author.  These writings are set in the "Age of Imperialism" where racial theories were often seen as fact. One racist theory was that Noah's sons Japeth, Seph and Ham each gave rise to a race of humanity, but that the black/negroid peoples were different. 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c5/Meyers-L2.jpg

"Scientific Racism" prevalent in the 1800s held that the racial differences were more than skin deep, with a common tendency to place Negros at the bottom of the hierarchy, or akin to Apes.  Dr. Morton's measurements of cranial capacity are viewed as factual, his conclusions that the Negros separated from the other races prior to Noah, and thus constitute a different branch entirely is simply believed scientific fact.

From Wiki:  Ernst Haeckel compared Negroes to "four-handed" apes. Haeckel also believed Negroes were savages and that Whites were the most civilized.

At the 19th century's end, scientific racism conflated Græco–Roman eugenicism with Francis Galton's concept of voluntary eugenics to produce a form of coercive, anti-immigrant government programs influenced by other socio-political discourses and events. Such institutional racism was effected via Phrenology, telling character from physiognomy; craniometric skull and skeleton studies; thus skulls and skeletons of black people and other colored volk, were displayed between apes and white men.

In 1906, Ota Benga, a Pygmy, was displayed as the "Missing Link", in the Bronx Zoo, New York City, alongside apes and animals.

For the purpose of this sim, the Italians believe in the hierarchy of races and that one should treat civilized peoples- such as descendants of Noah, in a Christian manner, but that does not apply to savages. The Italian approach to the presence of native Africans will be akin to the kindness and consideration the Spanish and Americans showed the natives Americans, though with slavery outlawed in 1870, one can't even use natives for forced labor...

7.26.1901 Quirinal Palace, Rome
After several days of tours and dinners, discussion has turned to the terms of the treaties. Minor alterations are proposed and agreed to.  The Italians sought further allowance to make port calls and do trade elsewhere in the Sultanates, while their counterparties were more concerned with those peoples being transferred,  with the sticking point being the status of citizens of the two sultanates in the transferred lands, and clarifying the status of the Moslem religion. While the Catholic faith would enjoy official support, the right to establish a privately funded mosque in each town would be held by those of Muslim faith, and such would be allowed to call to prayer and conduct operations without official obstructions.  Finally the delegates were mollified that those of "Semitic or Hamitic" descent would be "Italian Subjects" and could choose at majority citizenship of their parents or of Italy. Those of Negroid descent in the territories would be of no citizenship, and be wards of the territory, unless evidence indicated they were Shem-Ham.

8.5.1901 Palazzo Madama, Rome

The King appeared before the Senate today and announced that, as requested by the Government, he had sought and obtained lands for the Kingdom of Italia. The King presented the Senate with a pair of treaties for these new lands. The first represents a long term lease with the Sultanate of Warsangali for the port and environs of Berbera on the Horn of Africa.  The second the land once known as Querimba  and purchased from the Sultanate of Zanzibar. That region includes the African coastline from Zanzibar to Portuguese East Africa, and westward into the interior to the great lake of Nyasa, found half a century ago by the Portuguese trader Cardoso. 

The King read a short prepared statement "I present these lands to you, the representatives of the Italian People for their future prosperity.  At your behest, new lands to settle were sought, so that our people no longer must leave for the Americas or Argentina, but can work Italian soil. While it is known that the coastline is a narrow band of pestilential swamps, reliable reports of  higher land to the west, rising to a magnificent lake of stars* give hope that fertile ground can be found. It is known that the Portuguese lands to the south yield resources, as do the trade ports to the North, to which we now have treaty access.  The development and political governance of these lands will be a matter for the august members of this assemblage, should they be modern analogues of the ancient coloniae civium Romanorum, or an Italian version of the grand East India Company?  Logically this assemblage will commence with exploration and survey, followed by agrarian and mineral prospecting and the use of Royal forces to initially secure and slowly develop regions in the oncoming years. Be assured, for all efforts for which you can look to the Crown for support.

The King's Speech was met with great applause.

*David Livingston's name alternate name for Lake Nyasa was Lake of Stars.

Antonio Starabba, Marchese di Rudinì, leader of the of the Liberal Constitutional Party was holding a party, celebrating the acquisitions of lands in Africa.  In a speech before his party members, he announced "We may not lead government, but we were able to lay the foundations for the return of Empire for Italy**, and I have secured an agreement from Prime Minister Giolotti that in return for some trivial concessions, our party will have control of the commission to devise and implement policy and oversee the development for these new realms."

Among other actions of the new commission, one which goes unnoticed was a new, ongoing, order to purchase used blankets from quarantine wards throughout Italy. The blankets are to be collected and stored for now, carefully wrapped in oilcloth.
**See November 1900 speech.

The King's family departed today for holiday in Greece, with the Queen's family.