Initial Setup

Started by KWorld, August 23, 2013, 08:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 03, 2013, 10:56:27 AM
I would like to make an argument that the Suez Canal opened as OTL in 1869.  The British Empire does indeed still have Imperial colonies on the far side of the world, most easily accessed through the Suez Canal so the commercial and communications importance of the canal are still important prior to 1870.  It will also create a trouble-point in the Mediterranean.  I propose that the ownership of the canal ought to be 30% English, 30% French, and 40% Egyptian, yet another bone of contention.

What I've discussed with Guinness on Suez and Egypt says that the Suez Canal DOES exist, as historical, in 1870.  The Ottomans, however, have deposed Khedive Ismail because of non-payment of tribute and brought Egypt back more firmly into the empire.

Darman

Okay.  So the Canal exists and is owned entirely by the Ottomans? 

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 03, 2013, 11:57:08 AM

I wouldn't think so, they'd have had to fund it for that to happen, and there's little reason for the Porte to have done so.  It's more that the Canal exists and the surrounding lands are controlled by the Ottomans.

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on September 03, 2013, 12:12:52 PM

I wouldn't think so, they'd have had to fund it for that to happen, and there's little reason for the Porte to have done so.  It's more that the Canal exists and the surrounding lands are controlled by the Ottomans.

Okay, so 30/30/40 still works?

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 03, 2013, 12:17:42 PM
Quote from: KWorld on September 03, 2013, 12:12:52 PM

Okay, so 30/30/40 still works?

Should, I'd think.

Walter

From what I read on wiki, British+Ottoman shares < French shares. I think that should be the case here as well.

KWorld

Yeah, looking at it, it looks like the ownership at this time should be something like 56% French/44% Egyptian/Ottoman (the British purchase of shares from Egypt didn't happen until 1875).

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on September 03, 2013, 12:50:19 PM
Yeah, looking at it, it looks like the ownership at this time should be something like 56% French/44% Egyptian/Ottoman (the British purchase of shares from Egypt didn't happen until 1875).
works for me. 

Guinness

I rather think our own version of the Constantinople Convention could be fun: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_of_Constantinople

Walter

Throwing stuff into the spreadsheet resulted in something that was quite different from what I had originally calculated.

Looking around I noticed that the formulas of E114 and F114 are wrong. They only went as far down as E/F77 and thus missed part of the army costs. They should run all the way down to E/F110. I assume that the spreadsheet here is the same as the one you posted in the other thread where you posted it the first time (and which is the one I downloaded).

KWorld

Quote from: Walter on September 05, 2013, 08:54:23 AM
Throwing stuff into the spreadsheet resulted in something that was quite different from what I had originally calculated.

Looking around I noticed that the formulas of E114 and F114 are wrong. They only went as far down as E/F77 and thus missed part of the army costs. They should run all the way down to E/F110. I assume that the spreadsheet here is the same as the one you posted in the other thread where you posted it the first time (and which is the one I downloaded).

Drat.  Fixed, and the file has been updated.