Main Menu

Started by KWorld, July 12, 2013, 08:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Correct.  (Though the rules will need to be updated.)

Jefgte

If I understand well,

Start Histories & Conquest of Paradise 1870
All start SS 1870 (no 1869-68-67...)
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Quote from: Jefgte on July 23, 2013, 01:52:58 AM
If I understand well,

Start Histories & Conquest of Paradise 1870
All start SS 1870 (no 1869-68-67...)

Sounds about correct.

Darman

My personal opinion is that we should seriously consider using only European nations as player nations, and the rest of the world is tribal or feudal in nature with small nations at best.  So no Chinese Empire, split it up into warlord states.  No USA, nobody started colonizing anywhere, remember?  Iroquois Confederacy etc. 

Walter

I would think that with no colonization anywhere, what you said means that no Suez Canal was completed in 1869 (or started in 1859).

KWorld

Well, no, if there's no colonization in the Far East, the Suez canal would certainly not be in existence.

Historically, there was a LOT of the world left "unclaimed" (except by those who were living on it) in 1870.  Most of Africa was open to a serious claimant (there were existing claims, but there were almost no boots on the ground outside of tiny coastal bases that had lost their reason for existence with the end of the slave trade).   Big chunks of India are still available (and are probably the biggest short-term prize), as is most of South-east Asia.  China....... even if the Empire remains, it could be worth a play, if you're willing to pay the costs (removing the Chinese Empire mostly gives Russia another free area to expand into).

KWorld

The other reason I was figuring to use as OTL a world as possible is that it makes backstory easier, and it's easier for newcomers to come onboard and start, than if we go further afield from the get-go. 

If, essentially, Columbus doesn't sail until 1860, will the Aztec and Incas still be going concerns?  Will they have figured out smelting and be equipped with better weapons?  Same with the other North and South American native groups.  What will the increased population pressures in Europe (no emigration to the Americas possible, no advancement via mercantile adventuring, etc) have done to that continent's history?   Gah.

Nobody

Quote from: KWorld on July 24, 2013, 08:08:46 AM
The other reason I was figuring to use as OTL a world as possible is that it makes backstory easier, and it's easier for newcomers to come onboard and start, than if we go further afield from the get-go.

If, essentially, Columbus doesn't sail until 1860, will the Aztec and Incas still be going concerns?  Will they have figured out smelting and be equipped with better weapons?  Same with the other North and South American native groups.  What will the increased population pressures in Europe (no emigration to the Americas possible, no advancement via mercantile adventuring, etc) have done to that continent's history?   Gah.
Well, in my idea mentioned some time somewhere ago Columbus did sail to America. As did Cortez and other conquistadors. But they just left after stealing everything.
If we want a USA we'll just have to assume that the pilgrim fathers did happen as well.

Delta Force

We could simulate the ships as being from the 1850s and 1860s even if they were constructed earlier. Most ships were rebuilt as steamships and ironclads during that era. There will be a few pure sailing ships as museum pieces, cadet ships, etc., but having the majority of combat ships as ironclads avoids issues with steam conversions, ironclading, razze ships, etc.