Various Thoughts and Ideas

Started by Nobody, July 02, 2013, 02:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Fleet Bases

Conceptually, these are not the same as Ports from previous Navalism runs: ports both provided support to naval vessels and limited the size and number of slips and docks.   Fleet bases provide ONLY support to naval vessels, they have no direct interaction with slips and docks (which may be in ports that don't even have a fleet base).  A naval vessel that docks in a port that doesn't have a fleet base (or doesn't have one that's friendly with it's government) CAN refuel there, but ammunition won't be available and the ability to make repairs will be limited (think Graf Spee at Montevideo, though time was also a factor there).

BaseTonsBP cost$ cost
A500003
B1000017.5
C25000316.5
D50000633
E1000001266
F25000030165
G50000060330

KWorld

Civilian slips & docks

Civilian slips and docks exist, and they can be contracted to build naval vessels.  Such contracts will cost more than a contract with a government-owned slip or dock, and take longer.
[The simplifying assumption is that both the government and commercial slip/docks are maintained and staffed to the same level and quality.  Government-owned slips & docks cost maintenance (which I've added), and the additional time is to simulate 2 things: the time to work through the bidding process, and the need for the civilian yard to have an open slip or dock to begin the work.]

Ships built in civilian yards cost 1.5 times as much in $, but the same in BP, as ships built in government owned yards, and require an additional 25% construction time for the first of a series of identical ships.

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on July 22, 2013, 10:57:21 AM
Fleet Bases

Conceptually, these are not the same as Ports from previous Navalism runs: ports both provided support to naval vessels and limited the size and number of slips and docks.   Fleet bases provide ONLY support to naval vessels, they have no direct interaction with slips and docks (which may be in ports that don't even have a fleet base).  A naval vessel that docks in a port that doesn't have a fleet base (or doesn't have one that's friendly with it's government) CAN refuel there, but ammunition won't be available and the ability to make repairs will be limited (think Graf Spee at Montevideo, though time was also a factor there).

BaseTonsBP cost$ cost
A500003
B1000017.5
C25000316.5
D50000633
E1000001266
F25000030165
G50000060330

Now this just be me complicating things a bit, but could we possibly make it so we can build a fleet base in another person's port?  Say the French own Cuba but the Netherlands have a trade route to a colony running past Cuba and they need a fleet base for ammunition, repairs, etc and they make an agreement with the French whereby the Dutch purchase basing rights in one city, (like Guantanamo Bay I suppose, before it became a prison) so even if the French aren't being benevolently neutral the Dutch already have a base there. 

KWorld

I don't know why that shouldn't be allowed.  Of course, should relations sour between France and the Netherlands (in this example), the French might acquire a fleet base for free.  :0

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on July 24, 2013, 03:20:05 AM
I don't know why that shouldn't be allowed.  Of course, should relations sour between France and the Netherlands (in this example), the French might acquire a fleet base for free.  :0
If such an agreement were being negotiated then I'm certain that the posting of Dutch troops to said fleet base would be included in the agreement, making such an attempt costly to the French. 

KWorld

You could do that, but I doubt that the French, using this example, would be willing to let you station enough troops there that you could take over their island.

Jefgte

I think two bases, France / Dutch, could be neighbors.
But not a base for 2.... to avoid incidents.

Cordial relations could be effective between neighbors in the same bay (Diego Suarez for ex.).

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Darman

Quote from: Jefgte on July 24, 2013, 10:13:01 AM
I think two bases, France / Dutch, could be neighbors.
But not a base for 2.... to avoid incidents.

Cordial relations could be effective between neighbors in the same bay (Diego Suarez for ex.).

Jef

That was my idea.  That the French give permission for the Dutch to build a fleet base at Santiago while they themselves have a base at Havana.