New French Battleships

Started by maddox, March 27, 2007, 10:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl822

Somehow, I've just ended up with the most powerful new BB's in the N-Verse.

I might cancel one of the Dreadnoughts, and build a BC counter to the new one from Rohan

;D

P3D

Turrets yes, mounts with hoists no.

Desertfox: the 6-7" guns are unfortunately at the borderline of medium and small-caliber guns. If they are considered both, then cutting edge and above light cruiser technology is superfluous - everyone will build small armored cruisers with 6.5" guns.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

P3D

Quote from: Earl822 on March 27, 2007, 12:55:31 PM
Somehow, I've just ended up with the most powerful new BB's in the N-Verse.
I might cancel one of the Dreadnoughts, and build a BC counter to the new one from Rohan
;D
The Orange Minister of Finance inquired about the price of how much the next generation of ships with some revolutionary feature would cost, and commented that's a very expensive price for a pair of battleships. When he was corrected that the price is for one ship he fainted.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

maddox

The Ville Class AC's are considered a partial failure by the French admirality.  The weak main guns are good to hunt out light cruisers, and the good armor can withstand most shells of those. But going toe to toe with anything heavier will be a disaster.On the other hand, their speed makes them very usefull.

But that's a discusion for another tread.

Earl822

QuoteThe Orange Minister of Finance inquired about the price of how much the next generation of ships with some revolutionary feature would cost, and commented that's a very expensive price for a pair of battleships. When he was corrected that the price is for one ship he fainted.

Yes, 54BP for 3 very powerful ships, 3 ships each able to shoot twice as many 340mm shells as each Danton class ship.

P3D

I am rather thinking of 54BP for two ships...

Earl822

maddox

Minister Dupuytren, how can I help you?
Simple premier Paixhans. We need a bigger budget for the new battleships. With the Napoleon the Great approved for the rebuild, we noticed that she's not the best, nor fastest, nor best armed or armored ship in the World. I would like to propose to exchange the Formidable class for 2 more capable ships, each of 28000 tons trial displacement . This will give us Napoleon the Great next year but the new ships will take 3 to 4 years to construct.

So Minister, you propose less ships at sea in exchange for 2 prestige projects more.

Premier, it is only 1 hull less. With our diminished demands in the South Atlantic that shouldn't be a big problem. And we have a name to keep up. Even 3th rate naval countries as the Middle Kingdom is aquiring larger ships.

That last bit you'll have to explain. 

Easy enough Premier.  With the Mantsjoeria question and the Russian rebellion over there, the Middle kingdom has aquired at least 2 modern battleships. And you know, Magenta and Marceau even modernized, can't go up against those Russian monsters. Let be the not so modern classes we have so many of.  if we don't go bigger and more modern, we'll get to be a second rather soon.
The same for our armored cruisers. The Ville Class have proven to be good cruiser hunters, but the 165mm guns lack the punch to hurt larger ships.

That ,minister is a matter for another time.  I have heard your plea for new battleships. And will consider your words.  But now I have work to do.

Desertfox

QuoteWith the Mantsjoeria question and the Russian rebellion over there, the Middle kingdom has aquired at least 2 modern battleships. And you know, Magenta and Marceau even modernized, can't go up against those Russian monsters
???
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

P3D

Isn't it obvious?

The Chinese are coming! We must increase the naval budget!

Desertfox

I dont get this part:

QuoteWith the Mantsjoeria question and the Russian rebellion over there, the Middle kingdom has aquired at least 2 modern battleships. And you know, Magenta and Marceau even modernized, can't go up against those Russian monsters

Where from?

P3D

In the Great Russian Pacific Fleet Scrapyard Sale.

Borys

Ahoj!
Japan acquired the Russian Far Eastern fleet, crews included. However, not all crews wanted to be mercenaries - they wanted to go home. And also, just as importantly, the Middle Kingdom expected payment for Manchuria. Port Artur was apparently not enough for the insatiable Peking court - thus supply met demand - and several dozen warships reinforced the Dragon penant-flying Imperial Fleet.

However, the MK fleet is experiencing acute manning problems. In some areas coastal villages are half-starving, the fishermen fearing to take to sea as not to be kidnapped in the navy's latest recruitment drive. And Navy officers are promoted beyond their years and experience ....

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Desertfox

maddox

Grumble along Desertfox. But you don't have to defent home waters against the MK hordes.