Big Ass Map

Started by Tanthalas, September 09, 2012, 10:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

Now, now, no getting ideas on colonial expansion in South America.  Trade, yes, new colonies, the Monroe Doctrine says the US isn't in favor.

KWorld

Quote from: Nobody on September 10, 2012, 03:27:25 AM
Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 02:44:09 AM
My previous post was Unkind.  That said I meant the part about drawing it yourself nobody.  The truth is as far as perfection I could realy give a shit, All I want is a map thats good enough for us to have a rough idea who has what.  As to the realy small nations no one is going to play any of them so who honestly cares.
I'm sorry, your were right in a way. I appreciate your effort - I couldn't do it. If I'm unhappy with it I should try it myself. All the small countries I mentioned are, I think, a part of Russia.

Okay recoloring the small countries was easy, drawing the new eastern border not. I think my result isn't too bad, but not that good either. I someone who knows what he is doing could try it again, i would appreciate it.

Yep, the Baltics are all part of Imperial Russia at this time.  There is no independent Poland, it's split up between A-H, Germany, and Russia.

As far as the above map goes, I believe the plan is for the US to have taken Spain's Caribbean possesssion (Cuba, Puerto Rico), but not the Phillipines.  India and South Africa might need some new colors as well, or to be split between a couple of colors (giving France part of India would certainly help their monetary situation).

Jefgte

giving France part of India would certainly help their monetary situation

If United Kingdom agree.

Presents give good relations for the futur...

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Nobody

I don't really see much point in discussing how colony possession influences the monetary situation. That's not necessarily related.
I mostly see them as harbor locations.

The situation would be different if we would be tracking resources, in that case it might be interesting if Germany still had Venezuela and it's oil deposits - even though it never was a real German colony and I don't know when the oil was found.

KWorld

Quote from: Jefgte on September 10, 2012, 06:19:24 AM

If United Kingdom agree.

Jef

From earlier in the thread:

QuoteUnited Kingdom: Needs signification amounts of territory economic minimized. These minimization would not hit the manufacturing base as much, making cash the main limited for UK shipbuilding while allowing them to fill multiple foreign orders.

Losses most of India
    Reduced influence in China
    Looses South Africa, but keeps Suez Canal

France makes perfect sense as the alternative colonial power in India (though part of the country may still be free in this set up at game start, or maybe other countries have their fingers in the Indian pie).  South Africa..... no idea.  Maybe the Dutch, still?

KWorld

Quote from: Nobody on September 10, 2012, 06:40:07 AM
I don't really see much point in discussing how colony possession influences the monetary situation. That's not necessarily related.

The situation would be different if we would be tracking resources, in that case it might be interesting if Germany still had Venezuela and it's oil deposits - even though it never was a real German colony and I don't know when the oil was found.

It's actually huge and critically important.  Without all of India or South Africa, the UK won't have as much money to pay for ships or anything else.  Giving France part of India lets us increase French income without changing other things (like Alsace-Lorraigne).  The same is true with Spain: if she keeps the Phillipines and has more influence in China than historical, she'll have more money to remain in the game.

The down-side to a German colony in Venezuela is that that colony historically lasted for only around 20 years in the early 1500s.  If we change that, that could have a lot more ripples than you'd think.

Nobody

Quote from: KWorld on September 10, 2012, 06:50:47 AM
Quote from: Nobody on September 10, 2012, 06:40:07 AM

It's actually huge and critically important.  Without all of India or South Africa, the UK won't have as much money to pay for ships or anything else.  Giving France part of India lets us increase French income without changing other things (like Alsace-Lorraigne).  The same is true with Spain: if she keeps the Phillipines and has more influence in China than historical, she'll have more money to remain in the game.
As I said, that's not necessarily related. We can define how much money/production a country has as we like it, whether is has colonies or not.

snip

Quote from: Nobody on September 10, 2012, 07:28:36 AM
As I said, that's not necessarily related. We can define how much money/production a country has as we like it, whether is has colonies or not.

That is correct, but I would like to have changes be somewhat plausible. Colonies are the best way of doing this IMO.

Quote from: Jefgte on September 10, 2012, 06:19:24 AM

If United Kingdom agree.

Jef

We will see. :)
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

KWorld

<chuckle>  I wouldn't look at them as presents, I'd look at it as hanging on to what I originally had and lost to pervidious Albion!  But that's me......   ;D

Tanthalas

Ill hold off on Caribian changes as there is another discusion about a USA/CSA split going on, as to spliting british india, how about giving Pakistan to France?

@Nobody if you could email me the fullsize map you worked up ill work from it, but Poland dosnt exist circa 1900 as noted its split between Germany, AH, and Russia.  The map im working from is a political map (with lots of nice Colors) of the entire world in 1900 (hence me choosing that exact year for my map) it shows germany going further north and east than yours curently shows.
"He either fears his fate too much,
Or his desserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

KWorld

The French colonies in India were mostly on the eastern coast.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_India

Amusingly enough, a standard Diplomacy map would work fairly well for Europe, since it's start time is the same as our planned start time: 1900.

Darman

Quote from: KWorld on September 10, 2012, 12:18:44 PM
Amusingly enough, a standard Diplomacy map would work fairly well for Europe, since it's start time is the same as our planned start time: 1900.

Can you get one?

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on September 10, 2012, 12:20:29 PM
Quote from: KWorld on September 10, 2012, 12:18:44 PM

Can you get one?

Easily:

Here's the standard map, covers Europe only.

http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps/map_c.gif

There's a ton of other maps there as well, one of the 20th Century/World maps might be useful for a starting point.

snip

Quote from: Tanthalas on September 10, 2012, 11:47:47 AM
Ill hold off on Caribian changes as there is another discusion about a USA/CSA split going on

That is hardly assured at this point, and has a very small likelyhood of happening. Only if deemed absolutely necessary by a majority of the player base as a means to remove some of the US's geographic advantage will such an action be taken. Things could not be all smitten with Canada and her protector...

as to spliting british india, how about giving Pakistan to France?

A workable boundary, tho I would like there to be small British holdings, small French holdings, other assorted small holdings all held in check from easy expansion by a independent state. Basically, no nation controls India outright and cannot do so without completely toppling a strong local government.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Darman

Quote from: snip on September 10, 2012, 01:14:32 PM
as to spliting british india, how about giving Pakistan to France?

A workable boundary, tho I would like there to be small British holdings, small French holdings, other assorted small holdings all held in check from easy expansion by a independent state. Basically, no nation controls India outright and cannot do so without completely toppling a strong local government.

I like this idea.  Does Japan own Korea?  And should Korea be considered a colony of Japan or part of the Home Islands (and Peninsulas) like Okinowa?