Suggestions for future sim

Started by KWorld, August 27, 2012, 06:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWorld

One suggestion I'd make for the future:

Change how ships are purchased - paying for fuel and feed water as part of the purchase price seems wrong, but it's totally appropriate in service.  Ie, pay for ship construction in light tons, but pay for maintenance in either normal or maximum tons.   Hmmmm.  That would actually work:

Cost to construct: tons of light displacement
Cost to maintain (peacetime): X% * tons of normal displacement
Cost to maintain (wartime): X% * tons of maximum displacement

Nobody

It all depends on how you build/pay for ships in the first place.
If you only pay then paying for the maximum or normal size makes sense. If you pay in steel, then light or standard makes more sense.

The idea isn't entirely new, I once tried to develop a system were the upkeep depended on actual fuel consumption (because it would be unfair if a longer range ship costs more just because it has a higher fuel capacity). I even wanted to add a cost based on ammunition spent, but that seems to be impractical.

Jefgte

I agree with Nobody,
Your proposal KW is right but there many difficult to move/pay & calculate.

We must have short & no complicated rules.

That is more easy for new Players. Enough free time to play is not for all...

OK for the peace time cost & war time cost.

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Can't see how it's complicated: SS puts out all three numbers used (light, normal, and maximum displacement).  So it's just a matter of plugging them in.

Heh, trying to do maintenance based on actual fuel burn would be a pain, mostly because you'd have to track things like training voyages, etc.

Jefgte

QuoteCan't see how it's complicated: SS

I am not speaking about SS but about fleet fuel, long range ... refuelling, Amunition transports...
---
Nobody, when you played Orange & me NUS, rules were not too complicated...

What about reload this rules with our light modifs ?

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

KWorld

Heh, yeah, that would be more complicated than we probably want to deal with.  Colliers/oilers and ammunition ships would be likely be more flavor than fact.

Darman

What if you made upkeep costs dependent on the difference between light, normal, and max displacement? 

KWorld

Quote from: Darman on August 27, 2012, 03:43:06 PM
What if you made upkeep costs dependent on the difference between light, normal, and max displacement?

That would do a good job of capturing the ship's ammunition and fuel costs, not so good a job of capturing the costs of maintaining the structure of the ship itself (and it's crew).

Darman

so then figure its a trade off.  OR factor in the crew size.  Regular maintenance of the ship can be covered by crew costs.... maybe?  Its an imperfect solution but really every solution we come up with will be imperfect