Navalism N4 for 12 years !!!

Started by Jefgte, September 13, 2011, 04:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borys

Quote from: Jefgte on September 14, 2011, 01:53:03 AM
Yes, I remember now, 1 report every month.
To maintain this rythme, an EXCEL board is neccessary for automatic calculation.

Jef
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Death to excel worshiping heretics!
Drown them in their own calculations and wade knee deep through their still steaming formulae!
Kill! Kill! Kill!
:)
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Guinness

This is probably the wrong place to note that I've personally left excel behind and have started writing my own code to generate reports then....

TexanCowboy

This, also, is probably a bad time to announce that I was using JCreator to write my reports...

Logi

I don't see a problem there, I just find it odd to try to write your code - in the mess that writing code usually is -  where there's alright decent available tools.

Also why JCreator? It seems odd to me that you would use a Java IDE to write your reports...

TexanCowboy

JCreator cause it's what I know how to work with. I set it up so that if you input some values, it'll spit out results...input 10-15 on the old version, probably about the same on the new one.

Guinness

What I've been working on (well screwing around with mostly) is really an inventory system that might eventually spit a report out. Having  an inventory system can make it easier to do things like OOBs, keep track of deployments, port capacity, etc., and plan building programs.

Or at least that's the idea. I had been using a set of spreadsheets for all this, but have gotten more and more annoyed with having to jump through excel hoops to do things that would be simply solved with a real database.

Sachmle

Have you tried Access? I know it's a bitch to set up, but once it's done it could work they way you intend, I think.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Guinness

For me at least, ruby on rails with mysql or (more likely since it's just for me) sqlite is a path of less resistance.

Once upon a time, I made a (modest) living as an access administrator/programmer...